Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About cPanel
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

About cPanel

kamalkamal Member

I have few questions regarding cPanel Installation..

I am trying to install cPanel and wanted to know if I keep the hostname server.mydomain.com and keep the reverse ptr record as server.mydomain.com and have the mx record as mail.mydomain.com will it help me from mails going out from my server marked as junk/spam ?

Or If I have change the MX record to server.mydomain.com will it be helpful ?

Please give me some hints and useful ideas ...

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

why not just use plesk? it's much quicker and simpler to install.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

TarZZ92 said: why not just use plesk? it's much quicker and simpler to install.

How does it resolve 'email marked as spam' probem ?

@kamal have you checked your IP is not listed on any spam list?
    do you have matching A record for server.mydomain.com pointing to the IP address that has PTR server.mydomain.com?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@kamal said:
    I have few questions regarding cPanel Installation..

I am trying to install cPanel and wanted to know if I keep the hostname server.mydomain.com and keep the reverse ptr record as server.mydomain.com and have the mx record as mail.mydomain.com will it help me from mails going out from my server marked as junk/spam ?

Or If I have change the MX record to server.mydomain.com will it be helpful ?

Please give me some hints and useful ideas ...

Thank you in advance.

That's the correct setup. Whether or not it will help is still up for question. Mail can be labeled as spam for a number of reasons. Failed SPF, spoofed headers, content, IP reputation, etc.

• secure servers will probably block mail with such hostname, "sender not verified"

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2015

@century1stop said:
    secure servers will probably block mail with such hostname, "sender not verified"

Not if it passes forward confirmed reverse DNS check. But yeah, good call, the A record should match hostname+PTR.

Thanked by 1century1stop
  • You need:

1. Reverse-dns -> doesn't need match for your domain

2. 'A record' for SPF, DKIM and DMARC (optional)

3. Sender IP must be match with 1 of 'A record' or 'MX record' (according SPF setting)

• kamalkamal Member
    edited May 2015

Thank you very much .. the IP addresses are not blocked and yes the PTR record has matching A record..

I have Server's hostname as server.mydomain.com setup mx as mail.mydomain.com reverse ptr setup, spf also setup and the IP is not black listed checked through mxtoolbox

• MX record only effects incoming mail, and as long as it points to something that is your server you will be fine.

As long as server.mydomain.com has valid forward and reverse it will work, it's how i have all my cPanel servers set up.

mustafaramadhan said: 'A record' for SPF, DKIM

This ^ :)

• Sorry, I mean 'TXT record' for SPF, DKIM and DMARC.

• cassacassa Member

Try http://mail-tester.com to check what's wrong