Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debian or Ubuntu a good alternative to CentOS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Debian or Ubuntu a good alternative to CentOS?

javidotprojavidotpro Member
edited May 2015 in General

Hi,
I´m running a VPS with 1GB with 2 woo commerce sites with lower traffic, i´m using most of the RAM sometimes, my config includes Vestacp. Is any alternative to Centos like Debian with ISPConfig that would use less memory and will performance better?

What config would you use for these two sites?

Thanks,
Javi.

Comments

• getvpsgetvps Member
    edited May 2015

I use Ubuntu 14.04 + VestaCP (on [edit: 756MB] + SSD + SWAP on SSD) and everything running fine. I used lamp servers installed manually or ispconfig + centos .. but for me vesta + ubuntu was the best! :) ( my usage is ~5000 unique visits/day + vpn + other things and all time i have ~150MB ram free + swap space)

• Is Ubuntu requires less memory than CentOS?

• getvpsgetvps Member

Well, things look like this: (all 3x OS's same system and fresh install)

CentOS release 6.6 (Final) => Total:742 , Used:90, Free:652

Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS \n \l => Total:741, Used:95, Free:646

Debian GNU/Linux 7 \n \l => Total:748,Used:61, Free:687

No big difference,i prefer ubuntu (i'like this noob distribution..) but my things working fine on 756MB with Vesta.

• @javidotpro said:
    Hi,
    I´m running a VPS with 1GB with 2 woo commerce sites with lower traffic, i´m using most of the RAM sometimes, my config includes Vestacp. Is any alternative to Centos like Debian with ISPConfig that would use less memory and will performance better?

What config would you use for these two sites?

Thanks,
    Javi.

http://www.linuxatemyram.com/

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

The ISPConfig packaged software that you'd be running is the same on CentOS and Debian and any other Linux distribution. All of these distributions run the same operating system. So switching isn't going to magically reduce your memory usage. Any configuration that uses less memory on Debian can also be applied on CentOS, so you should try looking into tweaking your settings to solve whatever problem you are having.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

perennate said: Any configuration that uses less memory on Debian can also be applied on CentOS, so you should try looking into tweaking your settings to solve whatever problem you are having.

This. But usually in default configuration, Centos uses more recourses in a freshly installed machine. It can be customized and trimmed, if you want so.

• rahulksrahulks Member

Once i installed debian 7 minimial template on my LES and when it was idle it was just using only 3 or 4 MB of RAM.

• emgemg Veteran

You can also save a little RAM by switching from 64-bit to 32-bit. The savings is not that much, and there are other considerations to think about before you switch.

• UrDNUrDN Member

Hi,

We have some newbies using ISPconfig, the "configs" generated by it are junk, dangerous and outdated so don't expect anything to run optimized.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited May 2015

UrDN said: We have some newbies using ISPconfig, the "configs" generated by it are junk, dangerous and outdated so don't expect anything to run optimized.

What makes you say that configs in ISPconfig is... dangerous and outdated? A panel that is entirely being setup manually (from apache to mysql and from fail2ban to postfix)? ISP is sitting on top of all needed software that the user himself is setting up.

• Both are good, but if we choose we would go for Ubuntu

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

I used to love Debian but Ubuntu has less outdated software and longer support, so now I use that. :)