Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much latency is too much to offload mysql?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much latency is too much to offload mysql?

Hello,

I'm planing to get a SSD box to offload my cPanel VPS, mainly because my main VPS has 500gb of data and I can't fit it all in a SSD box.

The place I'm currently hosting does not provide SSD VPSs, so I was planning to get one at DigitalOcean. However, that would mean about 40ms of latency.

I think that is a lot, but I'm not sure. How much latency would be too much to offload mysql?

Thanks

Comments

• J1021J1021 Member

It's not a good idea. Aside from the latency, you then have to work around other issues that can crop up such as routing issues.

• tdaletdale Member

Where is your main box located?

• vmunichvmunich Member

@tdale said:
    Where is your main box located?

KnownHost

• tdaletdale Member

@vmunich Sorry, I was asking more of a location rather than company.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

I don't think it's a good idea. I have had mysql that was 100ms away and it was just too slow... and unencrypted.

• J1021J1021 Member

KnownHost seem to offer virtual servers with SSD storage but way above the LE* price point.

If you are going to go ahead with this, do it with Vultr or Linode who both have deployments in Dallas to minimise latency.

• AmitzAmitz Member

Also think about wable.com! Dallas and excellent (!) consistent IO topped by a great network.

• vmunichvmunich Member
    edited May 2015

@kcaj said:
    KnownHost seem to offer virtual servers with SSD storage but way above the LE* price point.

If you are going to go ahead with this, do it with Vultr or Linode who both have deployments in Dallas to minimise latency.

@tdale said:
    vmunich Sorry, I was asking more of a location rather than company.

My KnownHost VPS is in their East Coast location (Baltimore), but they only have SSD servers in their Texas location :/

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2015

I wouldn't do 10ms or above personally, and I would always have a caching layer on the front end so that every page load doesn't generate a MySQL query. At DO we have clients who off load MySQL using the private network to another droplet in the same datacenter. You typically want that local connectivity for that kind of task.

• vmunichvmunich Member

Is there a realiable VPS provider in Maryland?

Let's say theres one 10ms away from my server.. Would 10ms still be too much?

Thanks!

• DH22DH22 Member

Personally I'd consider switching providers entirely. I don't know of other VPS providers in Maryland although there are some in northern VA. Maybe you could get around 10ms to northern VA. Don't think there are many LET providers in northern VA, if any at all, though so probably won't be cheap. 10ms is probably still slower than you'd want for most purposes. Many of the providers in northern VA also don't offer SSD so there may be very limited options.

I used to be with KnownHost but left a couple years back and never regretted it.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2015

10 ms is working for tasks such as web hosting, with proper caching at all levels will do just fine. 20 ms is still possible, but the more latency grows, the page loading time increases exponentially, at least by a factor of 2 if not 10, depends on how queries are written. You may even have a factor of 40-50, for complex stuff such as heavy cms.
    In theory, anything will work if you are ready to wait long enough, at times instantly if cached.
    It really depends on your usage and link stability. If the routes crash or change often or if the latency varies, that could seriously increase load time for web pages.
    For other scenarios, it may be entirely impossible, for example, hundreds of queries a second, dont even think of thousands, those that really need SSD and heavy caching.
    In that light, I will try to run the db in RAM, cache it a lot and use the HDD if ram is not possible, it will still be way faster than offloading to a ssd in another datacenter.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

depends how busy your site is. But for me, I prefer same DC

• AutoSnipeAutoSnipe Member
    edited May 2015

My new setup is offloaded to the same dc, both boxes are pure ssd (CloudSpeed) Just been setting it up over the last few days actually. so, latency is pretty much null.
    Personally if doing sql offloading there is no point going outside the datacentre you are actually in. I know it may be overkill both been on SSD etc but... SSDs are cheap now.

Why not go for a VPS with BuyVM or even Prometeus(i think) and opt for their SQL offloading addon.
    Iirc BuyVMs one only costs ~1-2 a month? @Francisco

• You don't want too much latency, could you cache the queries (using something like Memcached/Redis) on the webserver VPS to avoid hitting the database all the time.

The critical thing with the latency issue is to work out whats the worst case scenario, is it 10-20ms on a good day and 100-120ms during busy hours? If so, then assume the worst metrics of 100-120ms, your site will crawl.

Why not just move everything onto a small dedicated server?

• ricardoricardo Member

depends

Yep, I'd be fine with a couple of hundred ms and # of queries per page is low. I'd pay more attention to it hogging any restrictive bandwidth limits.

IMHO once you reach a certain scale you need to consider paying a little more rather than trying to squeeze the last penny of efficiency from some VPS.