Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server setup help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server setup help

DrukpaDrukpa Member
edited May 2015 in Help

I will have a brand new server and want to to install OpenVZ to host few VMs.

Am thinking of the following disk configurations:

2x1TB SATA in SW RAID1 (for / & and /vz)
1x250SSD (/vz2) - Limiting to just 1 due to cost

I want the SSD to be used for mysql used by the containers. Think I should use mount binds to have the partition available on my containers and then move their mysql to it.

Atleast I will have redundancy for the files, don't need it for mysql, probably going to take daily backups of mysql.

Am hoping this time, I don't get miserable disk performance like less than 30MB/s.

Would like to know if anyone's done a configuration like the above, or if its a bad idea.

Also, will vzdumps of containers (on node kernel 2.6.18) work (be able to restore) on an openvz node with 2.6.32 kernel.

Thanks.

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

You shouldn't have much different performance to the host node itself.

Is this server already operational?

Have you checked I/O speeds on both already?

• DrukpaDrukpa Member
    edited May 2015

@Clouvider said:
    You shouldn't have much different performance to the host node itself.

Is this server already operational?

Have you checked I/O speeds on both already?

No, server is not operational, in fact I haven't even ordered it yet. Thought of asking for some advice before I order it later today.

I have another server with the same setup but without the SSD, the disk performance is pathetic (both from node/container). Something around 10MB/s. Most disk activity is consumed by MySQL. So am atleast hoping that offloading MySQL to a SSD would help.

Thanked by 1xai
  • andreicandreic Member
    edited May 2015

If I were you I think I will go for Proxmox and zfs using SSD cache and as much RAM as you can :)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

You should really consider doubling this SSD in my opinion.