Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need some help with Wordpress on a VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need some help with Wordpress on a VPS

Hi

My sys-admin guy was away and I managed to get myself in a little bit of a problem.

The task is to move a WP install from a shared hosting to a band new VPS.

Successfully manages to install LEMP with a "demo" database and "demouser" as the database owner.

Imported all WP files from shared to VPS in /

mysql -h localhost -u database_user -p database_name < backup_db.sql

Edited the wp-config.php to reflect the new demo & demouser details.

Still loads up a blank page however?

Comments

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

The most common issue with getting the white screen of death is the server not being able to connect to the database.

Make sure you got the correct info in the config for the database :)

• Did the domain change?

• All the guides I have read so far, do a new install and then replace the wp-contents folder, I am not sure if that is the only was to work it out?

I also feel the Database isn't communicating with WP

• Generally this is the correct way:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress

It gets more complicated if your domain changes

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Did you adjust the nginx vhosts? Did you restart nginx and possibly php5-fpm?

• WordPress has a specific "can't connect to database" page; so I don't think that's the issue. You're getting a white screen and my guess is that probably means PHP parse error with display_startup_errors set to off.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited May 2015

The most common issue is to try to move the wp installation to a different domain name. Another issue could be a non proper configuration of nginx+php to handle any httpaccess rewrites - if you had apache and rewrite rules in your old server.
    You could use the plugin "xcloner" to move your site more easily, if you want.

(One of the reasons I don't like WP. Buggy, heavy and unflexible CMS. Joomla and Drupal are far better than WP. The only think that makes gaining so much popularity is the ease of initial installation of the core and themes, and the easines for a noobie to add some articles. But if you want something more, it is a pain in the ass...)

• Thank you, I removed the .htaccess and used the rewrite rule in sites-available server block

I will re-install the server and try again.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

An advice: If your WP installation was relying in Apache, then, install apache in your new server. It will solve some of the problems you may have with php and rewrite rules.

• I don't think it's a php and/or rewrite issue. I am not sure whether it's Vultr or database error.

Vultr has been giving me creeps from the outset, every new server that you deploy, lately has had "sudo command not found error"

and then editing etc / hosts and / etc / hostname to make it go away. Not sure if this could be something preventing error. But then I edited server block to test index.html and that worked fine.

So it's gotta be either php or a database issue.

Money is on php not being able to communicate properly.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

what does /var/log/nginx/error.log say?

What OS do you use?

• TrafficTraffic Member

You know you have to specify how nginx has to connect to PHP, in the file you are editing in sites-enabled right?

After that, flush permissions on MySQL. And make sure not to let your sysadmin go again :)

Thanked by 1erkin
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

There are some templates that sudo is not installed by default. Apt-get install sudo or yum install sudo should resolve it.
    Why shoudl you habe any problems with vultr instances? I have never faced any issue.
    Check if php is working properly. Create a simple php test file and see if the file is giving you the php info properly.
    SOme advices: Before dumping the database, do a repair and optimize.
    Then, try to install xcloner to your original WP, backup the site via the xcloner's interface, move the .tar.gz file to the new server among with the tho php files and restore it. If there is any error in the data base, xcloner will not import it to the new server.

You haven't answer yet if you are trying to move the WP to another domain, subdomain or even folder. If this is the case, it's probably the reason for giving you blank page. Are you able to login to the wp-admin section?

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited May 2015

If you've installed php5-fpm and nginx, you need a file similar to this on

/etc/nginx/sites-enabled/

server {
           listen   80;
            root /PATH/TO/WORDPRESS;
            index index.html index.htm index.php;

server_name YOURSITE.com www.YOURSITE.com;

location / {
                    try_files $uri $uri/ /index.php?$args;
            }

location ~ \.php$ {
                    fastcgi_split_path_info ^(.+\.php)(/.+)$;
                    fastcgi_pass unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock;
                    fastcgi_index index.php;
                    include fastcgi_params;
            }

location ~ /\.ht {
                    deny all;
            }
    }

Just replace the sections in CAPS and you're good to go. Remember to ask your sysadmin to set pathinfo=0 on

/etc/php5/fpm/php.ini

To flush mysql privileges

mysql -p

(-p only if you've set a root password, else run mysql_secure_installation first)

And use this command:

flush privileges;

• Ok, with a big relief, I can say that ignoring Vultr's guide and by using DO's guide, I have managed to get everything up and running again!

Thank you all for your help.

• @jvnadr said:
    There are some templates that sudo is not installed by default. Apt-get install sudo or yum install sudo should resolve it.
    Why shoudl you habe any problems with vultr instances? I have never faced any issue.
    Check if php is working properly. Create a simple php test file and see if the file is giving you the php info properly.
    SOme advices: Before dumping the database, do a repair and optimize.
    Then, try to install xcloner to your original WP, backup the site via the xcloner's interface, move the .tar.gz file to the new server among with the tho php files and restore it. If there is any error in the data base, xcloner will not import it to the new server.

You haven't answer yet if you are trying to move the WP to another domain, subdomain or even folder. If this is the case, it's probably the reason for giving you blank page. Are you able to login to the wp-admin section?

I have big problem with them hence I moved most of my servers to @DediServe and wished I did it long long time ago.

Dediserve have the best customer server I have seen from any Unmanaged VPS provider.

Their servers are fast too.

The reason I kept one Vultr was my last payment was a lot more than I needed, so had some credit left over. But needless to say I won't be deploying anymore with Vultr.

And the error was "sudo unable to resolve host" which is something to do with their latest Venom update. This is a problem even if you deploy a new server.

Thanked by 1dediserve