Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

have you ever used Bitvise Tunnelier?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

have you ever used Bitvise Tunnelier?

mashokk369mashokk369 Member
edited May 2015 in Reviews

I recently started using Bitvise Tunnelier instead of putty.
https://www.bitvise.com/ssh-client

I am impressed. It is sweet.
Anybody have a full putty Vs tunnelier comparisons?

Comments

• BuyAdsBuyAds Member

I was looking for alternatives but to be honest i cant trust them. I think am secure with putty :)

• Bitvise Tunnelier is my second ssh client after putty. For a basic shell, I just use putty.

But for a shell + file transfer, I use tunnelier. Most Indonesian that use tunel/proxy will use tunelier.

• belinikbelinik Member
    edited May 2015

i used bitvise finding it can perform all my needs without having multiple programs(especially auto reconnect, built in scp and chained ssh tunnel). however i still prefer putty for ssh.

• getvpsgetvps Member

Bitvise is not bad.. but give a try to Xshell5 (free for non-commercial) for me xshell is the best! easy tunnel creation/live modify.. , sftp/scp , supports locking, safe encryption of stored passwords, cool design and shell themes... anything you need. Install it, use 10minutes and leave reply! :D

• Plain old ssh command is enough for me

• VMVPSVMVPS Member

I've used it for socks. For ssh, I think there is some delay when typing (I have no idea about the reason). Thus putty.

• nadznadz Member

MobaXterm on pc. ConnectBot for android.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

getvps said: safe encryption of stored passwords

How are they stored?

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

Not really a ssh client but more of a wrapper/replacement. Mosh ssh has been treating us pretty good so far. https://mosh.mit.edu

Ideal for anyone with sub par internet connectivity or latency to server.

Highly recommend to check it out. Or least see their demo video.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • a2razora2razor Member
    edited May 2015

I don't know of any complete review between BitVise Tunnelier / client and PUTTY. However, I can say that Tunnelier is getting ALOT nicer lately.

They've completely revamped their terminal system. The Window is resizable now with mouse-drag rather than manually (character size) and it now works resizing with things such as vim, over OpenSSH server. They've also added alot of the great features of PUTTY's terminal to theirs, in that you can now instantly copy with just a left-click drag, or paste via right-click. The interface is getting quite similar and as a PUTTY-user it's less frustrating compared to how it used to be.

(less like an msdos prompt, and more like a real unix terminal)

One edge that BitVise has over PUTTY is the ability to act as a socks proxy within the client itself, instead of running one on the server end. Just utilizing SSH's forwarding feature. This certainly isn't required, but it's convenient for sure.

PUTTY also to my understanding requires that a terminal be open to the remote server. If there is no terminal or the terminal instantly exits, then BitVise can handle that server with less issue.

Thanked by 1mashokk369
  • sodasoda Member

im using tunnelier for 4 years ,it is great with a lot of feature ,after i found tunnelier i never use putty anymore , you can save ssh detail host/user/pass and everything and save it as a .bscp file on your desktop and every time just double click on .bscp file and run it u get connect instantly ... also it has sftp and a lot of option that you cant find it on putty .

here for windows:
    http://anonym.to/?http://dl.bitvise.com/BvSshClient-Inst.exe

• getvpsgetvps Member

@joepie91 said:
    How are they stored?

"Xshell uses RC4 with SHA256, Master password will add a new key to the encryption algorithm so it is harder to crack the password when the session is stolen.."

• sinsin Member

I use XShell, it rocks.

• msg7086msg7086 Member

XShell for ssh, bitvise for ssh tunnel proxy.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

getvps said: "Xshell uses RC4 with SHA256, Master password will add a new key to the encryption algorithm so it is harder to crack the password when the session is stolen.."

RC4 is pretty much considered broken. I certainly wouldn't call that safe :)

Aside from that, surely it at least requires a master password? Otherwise it's never going to be safe, RC4 or not.

• johnlth93johnlth93 Member
    edited May 2015

I had used them but not anymore, I am using xshell though

-edit-
    I am having similar setup as msg7086

Thanked by 1getvps
  • Looks like lots of vote for XShell
    Will try it soon.

Thanked by 1getvps
  • rocketpreprocketprep Member
    edited June 2020

rocket-prep rocketprep spam scam spammer worst

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member
    edited June 2020

@rocketprep said:
    Need to try Xshell, I think it will great.

Necromancy is on the rise recently.

• SvenSven Member

SecureCRT