Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr, where hast thy morals gone?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr, where hast thy morals gone?

I remember a good time long ago when Vultr prided themselves in 3+ Ghz 'performance' CPUs.

I remember when their prices were lower price than their main competitor...

I remember the occasional double ram here or double credit there.

These days seem to be over, as "performance" now means
model name : Vultr Virtual CPU 2
cpu MHz : 2399.996

and the best deal you can get is a $10 initial load.

sigh. I get the saying 'if you can't beat em, join em'. And it was fine when you ever so gracefully stole not once but twice the website layout of DO... but dear god vultr, there is nothing that makes you special anymore... the second DO get's custom iso's.......

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Who cares, they are just another brand of a larger company, they do not depend on this to live, have more location, ipv6, custom ISO, still rather better performance than the competition...
    No, Vultr still flies.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

ronaldgrn said: These days seem to be over, as "performance" now means model name : Vultr Virtual CPU 2 cpu MHz : 2399.996

yeh they moved over to crappy performing E5 based CPU's they have not told anyone why though

• @Maounique said:
    Who cares, they are just another brand of a larger company, they do not depend on this to live, have more location, ipv6, custom ISO, still rather better performance than the competition...
    No, Vultr still flies.

Better Performance? not anymore, their cpu's are pretty much equal to DO, ipv6 isn't unique to them either which leaves a few more locations and ISO's.... and as i said in the post.. as soon as other places implement custom images, there really is nothing special about Vultr anymore.

ronaldgrn said: as soon as other places implement custom images, there really is nothing special about Vultr anymore.

And Do does not have IPv6 in many places unless that changed recently.

Besides, what is unique for hundreds of people selling solus plans? Yet, they do manage to live and have customers.
    You do not need to be unique to survive, although it does help a lot, it is not a necessary condition, nobody is truly unique in the sense nobody else has a certain determinant feature, rather the combination of various things and their levels of quality/quantity matter, the mix.
    There are be people that swear by Vultr and others by DO.
    Which ultimately means there is (at least for now) business for the both of them.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Vultr has a location in Australia, that's why I stay with them. Until another provider comes along in Australia where I can create and delete instances at my will they will stay my primary provider.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

Actually, most of an average vps user will need it for hosting some sites that cannot fit in a shared environment (little visitors more, little hdd more, little I/Os more than hostgator's caps). So, if the owner of the site has some knowledge about setting a server or a small local company that set up wordpress websites has a tech guy that know how to deploy a simple LAMP stack, they can use DO or Vultr for an average stability and performance. The tech guy of our scenario is not a server-crazy man and not a daily reader of LET/WHT. He knows some big vps companies like AWS that charges lot of money and now, he knows DO or Vultr because of their extreme advertise (at least as of DO). So, he deploys a 1-2GB server and he can host 10-20 low to medium traffic websites of some local stores.
    So, no, the performance of both is not great, but can really do for a small website of the local market or a store selling clothes. And the tech guy could charge a good 30-50$ per month to maintain the website, using a 5$ instance per month in DO or Vultr.

Maounique said: You do not need to be unique to survive, although it does help a lot, it is not a necessary condition, nobody is truly unique in the sense nobody else has a certain determinant feature, rather the combination of various things and their levels of quality/quantity matter, the mix. There are be people that swear by Vultr and others by DO.

Mao has absolutely right. Let's say, you go to an exotic place. You want to eat something casual, looking for a fast food. You are not familiar with the place you visit and you afraid the cheap local snack sellers and you cannot afford the big fancy expensive restaurants. You see a McDonalds over the corner. You maybe know the quality of the food but you also know that this quality and the menu is the same in all the countries McD exists. Because McD is a worldwide firm and advertises heavily in all over the world. So, you know what you are going to buy. It is cheap, will feed your hunger, even if the quality is medium. Even if the local snack sellers, are much more good than McD and even cheapier...

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@TarZZ92 said:
    yeh they moved over to crappy performing E5 based CPU's they have not told anyone why though

Because it's cheaper and they get a lot more VMs per server? Honestly I didn't understand why they started with little E3 nodes anyway.

@trewq said:
    Vultr has a location in Australia, that's why I stay with them. Until another provider comes along in Australia where I can create and delete instances at my will they will stay my primary provider.

Binary Lane?

Thanked by 1yomero
  • TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited May 2015

Nyr said: Because it's cheaper and they get a lot more VMs per server? Honestly I didn't understand why they started with little E3 nodes anyway.

because the E3's where a lot more powerful than E5's the whole point (from my view) of them was the PERFORMANCE, with those E5's you need 2-3 cores just to perform like a Single core E3, running a gameserver for example would be a lot more expensive now (need 4+ cores)

how i see it:

E3= A lot of power from just 1 core
    E5= crappy performance per core, but great performance all cores

• Nyr said: Honestly I didn't understand why they started with little E3 nodes anyway.

Probably because they had a tonne in stock and they give great performance for very low CAPEX/OPEX

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • smansman Member
    edited May 2015

Actually I am waiting for DO to start trying to monetize. They are still venture funded so at some point they will need to start turning a profit. Yea I know they claim to be making a profit but I don't believe it otherwise why do they keep having more and more rounds of funding. The answer is that their strategy is to drain the other wells first before they try fill their own.

Don't bother trying to tell me that they get volume discounts on hardware blah blah and the other same arguments as with OVH. I know the hardware business and trust me, the margins are not that high.

I am not saying they are doing anything wrong. This is part of the plan. Probably to eventually go public. Lots of companies go public without ever showing a profit. The facebook IPO was all about the large number of subscribers (potential revenue) and not about actual revenue.

Thanked by 1Dazzle
  • @sman said:
    They are still venture funded so at some point they will need to start turning a profit.

This is part of the plan. Probably to eventually go public.

Those two sentences are contradictory ;)

• nfnnfn Veteran
    edited May 2015

I'm with them for almost one year in London and my VPS is very stable and fast but I'm too worried about the lack of clarification regarding some aspects of the infrastructure, mainly RAID and Multi-homed connection.

I think I must choose another host with a more transparent atitude regarding crucial information that is fundamental for the security of the information.

Taking regular backups isn't the same of loosing all data and rebuild the vps or have a network problem without an alternative.

• ronaldgrn said: but dear god vultr, there is nothing that makes you special anymore... the second DO get's custom iso's.......

Vultr takes bitcoin while DO does not.

sman said: Actually I am waiting for DO to start trying to monetize. They are still venture funded so at some point they will need to start turning a profit.

Don't do this or you'll be waiting a long time. I think CNN took something like 10 years before they turned their first profit. Amazon still hasn't made a profit. GoDaddy is also unprofitable despite being the largest host in the world. American investors are interested in growth first and profit later.

• getvpsgetvps Member

I guess is about some locations only with poor CPU.. "Vultr Virtual CPU 2,cpu MHz : 3600.012,bogomips : 7200.02" , this is for #Paris locations.

• getvpsgetvps Member

And "and the best deal you can get is a $10 initial load." , is not true , you can get $50 ( +$2 maybe for twitter share) https://www.vultr.com/freetrial/

• rokokrokok Member

For general user like me who doesn't know exactly about hardware or configurations as long as price still reasonable, and reliable. Vultr is fine. Xoxo

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Abdussamad said: Don't do this or you'll be waiting a long time. I think CNN took something like 10 years before they turned their first profit. Amazon still hasn't made a profit. GoDaddy is also unprofitable despite being the largest host in the world. American investors are interested in growth first and profit later.

I do not know about CNN. But I'm sure AMazon and GoDaddy have made a profit, and still do.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited May 2015

I think there should be a new category, 'complaints'.

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited May 2015

MrGeneral said: But I'm sure AMazon and GoDaddy have made a profit, and still do.

They make gross profits but not net profits. Amazon invests everything it makes back into the business. That's how its got its fingers in so many pies.

Not sure whats up with GoDaddy. Probably spends it all on those super bowl ads :)

Anyway you don't have to take my word for it. Look it up. Lots of articles on how Bezos is testing investors' patience and on GoDaddy too now with their IPO.

• getvpsgetvps Member

@ronaldgrn said:
    Better Performance? not anymore, their cpu's are pretty much equal to DO, ipv6 isn't unique to them either which leaves a few more locations and ISO's.... and as i said in the post.. as soon as other places implement custom images, there really is nothing special about Vultr anymore.

Can be nice if you post some real comparasion, not just words or comparing exceptions..

My lowend experience: i pay 5$ for VULTR (cpu MHz: 3600.012,768MB RAM, 15GB Storage,14 locations) with my custom OS and on DO (cpu MHz: 2399.998, 512MB RAM,20GB Storage,6 locations) with limited images. So , vultr is not better? Or +5GB Storage in this example make difference? :)

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Abdussamad said:

Their businesses are more than sustainable. Even though they invest on their business all the time.

• ivanhivanh Member

@getvps said:
    My lowend experience: i pay 5$ for VULTR (cpu MHz: 3600.012,768MB RAM, 15GB Storage,14 locations) with my custom OS and on DO (cpu MHz: 2399.998, 512MB RAM,20GB Storage,6 locations) with limited images. So , vultr is not better? Or +5GB Storage in this example make difference? :)

The 3.6ghz vs 2.4ghz is a pretty big difference for those that require single core performance, for example running source engine based games like CS:GO and CSS.

Thanked by 1getvps

There are few people which target gamers for hosting.