Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Coupon code?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why Coupon code?

TazTaz Member
edited October 2012 in General

As I have seen on a lot of providers site and never understood something,
Why offer coupon code/ discount code on your site? If you can bring the price down for every visitor, why not simply lower the total price?

Unless you are running special promotion on 3rd part sites or country/user/referral base, why do you need to have a coupon on your front page?

Thanked by 1DeletedUser

Comments

• @Taz, still here?

• JeffreyJeffrey Member
    edited October 2012

Marketing. Big companies even do this, such as JustHost.

• TazTaz Member
    edited October 2012

@jeffrey, it is referral, sorta. But exactly not on the front page. (I see you have removed your site link, smartt).

Just is offering straight discount without code.

@Jack but then why not simply offer them the better price without coupon?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Taz said: Just is offering straight discount without code.

Every promotion we run is limited (both uses and time), thus we post it on our "Specials" page to get the most exposure to it before it expires or runs out. Then again, we don't offer many public promotions these days so maybe the page is no longer needed...

• Is just marketing, what would sell more in a supermarket:

8 Tim Tams for $1
    4 Tim Tams + 4 FREE for $1 at a POS display in a supermarket.

Same can be said for displaying coupon codes on your website.

Thanked by 2Infinity ihatetonyy
  • @onepound said: Tim Tams

"Tim Tam"s look nice..

• Its because everyone wants something for free but they are not willing to pay for it.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Taz and @bobby take your $hemale talk to The Cest Pit: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/4319/the-cest-pit.

Thanked by 1Chief
  • @AsadHaider said: Tim Tam"s look nice.

Tim Tams are delicious :)

Now coupons or not to coupon? That is the question.......

I do not run specials or use coupons for nearly 2 years now. (I do have an active shared hosting coupon, but meh) So without coupons or specials, it seems I do not see as many new customers as some other hosts offering similar products, but I still seem to grow as fast as I care to, to meet the service demands of those who do chose my service.

What do I gain from not offering a coupon? I feel all my customers gain by not having some of the more resource sensitive users flocking to the service, meaning higher performance for those who do choose my service. I am still LEB priced for a reasonable amount of resources, but those that want the moon and the stars for sub $7 won't come knocking, meaning those who want a little higher level of server will find it.

I am just 1 person afterall, and I do strive to provide a higher level of service for a modest price, so a flood of new customers will destroy what I've built, and I think I get a better class customer as they understand what they've bought.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • @Liam said: Lies

And I will lie again the last 2 weeks of the year

• hostdoghostdog Member
    edited October 2012

We do make offers and coupons for a simple reason. We would like to sell at the normal price, but for sure we get more traffic and exposure by lowering the price for a website, forum etc.
    So, we do this in a way to advertise our company, so more people get to know our services and see what and how we do it.

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited October 2012

Discounting, everyone pays a different price and some more than others. Once you lower your prices for good its impossible to raise them. The allure of the coupon code is perception of saving money and being special while the host isn't committed to a lower price forever. Can also stimulate demand if needed.

Thanked by 2jar gsrdgrdghd
  • Because ServerBear <3

• It's made to make the customer feel good.

I.E. You come to a website, and you see a coupon code, and it makes you feel like your a smart shopper, and you get a discount, making the customer think positive, and makes your servers seem artificially cheaper than other providers.

Vs. Just cheaper pricing.

• Marketing strategy, because people like to see discount event it's actually not true discount.

• Because WHMCS by default has a promotional code field that encourages users to go find a code, if you don't have one then they might not convert (or feel like they're missing out on a coupon).