Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you use low-end Kimsufi servers for?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you use low-end Kimsufi servers for?

lorjclorjc Member

Hi!
I was trying to figure out what could be the purpose of servers like Kimsufi KS-2. You can't run hypervisors since they lack VT-x. Do people buy them for storage?

Thanks!

Comments

• J1021J1021 Member

Another dot on my Observium map.

Thanked by 3MikePT cassa Nekki
  • Storage, seedbox, vpn, (s)ftp server, backup machine (to cloud). I use it for these things.

• sc754sc754 Member

@lorjc said:
    Hi!
    I was trying to figure out what could be the purpose of servers like Kimsufi KS-2. You can't run hypervisors since they lack VT-x. Do people buy them for storage?

Thanks!

I run my email, a samba server and some teamspeak servers on my ks1. Sometimes a vpn to.

• I use my KS-2 as a web server for most of my websites. It's fast enough to handle multiple low->medium traffic sites.

I also use it for archiving. I have around 800GB of archived content for gameservers to use, and around 300GB in an archive of posts for a small-ish social network (where the posts are public; I'm not doing anything illegal/unethical).

I was one of the lucky people that got a 2TB disk even though it was advertised as 1TB.

• @Josephhewitt said:
    I was one of the lucky people that got a 2TB disk even though it was advertised as 1TB.

Same here! Was so excited to see that when I logged in.

• AmitzAmitz Member

Backups, IRC Bouncer, nginx reverse proxy.

• BochiBochi Member

Mostly network storage, mounted via sshfs on different VPS and my home server.

• NomadNomad Member

Torrents, NFS server, media server, irc bouncer, backups and just in case, failover sites.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

lorjc said: Hi! I was trying to figure out what could be the purpose of servers like Kimsufi KS-2. You can't run hypervisors since they lack VT-x. Do people buy them for storage?

Whoa, so no VT, then useful for storage only, that's a bizarre conclusion. You know you could install software directly on the server, right? Without using hypervisors or requiring VT-x. Like, login to the actual server and install a web server, a database, a mail server, etc. Might seem like a novel concept, but actually that's the way people did things before virtualization and that's what they commonly do on these servers without VT.

Thanked by 1tehdan
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

A KS-1/2 makes for a dandy Plex/subsonic streaming server if you have no/very light transcoding needs.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Josephhewitt said:
    I use my KS-2 as a web server for most of my websites. It's fast enough to handle multiple low->medium traffic sites.

I also use it for archiving. I have around 800GB of archived content for gameservers to use, and around 300GB in an archive of posts for a small-ish social network (where the posts are public; I'm not doing anything illegal/unethical).

You should mirror it to archive.org ;)