Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

best hosting for ampache (api scaling)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

best hosting for ampache (api scaling)

a7medo778a7medo778 Member
edited May 2015 in Help

hi there
ampache is a music streaming server, it supports the full api's of subsonic virtualized

i am building a music streaming (copyright free collection) platform based on ampache, web access wont be a priority as i am positioning its mobile apps as the front end

i first hosted it on dreamcompute (the promise on unlimited bw was too good) but after spending a couple of days there, the speed was just too slow
then i hosted it on DO, the speed was pretty decent but upon collection my collection i surpassed 100gb of tracks, which in ssd terms was going to be quite pricey

now i am looking at vultr, their hdd storage plans mounted as NFS looks like a good solution (and maybe 2 NFS volume's load balanced to distribute the load), or at ramnode ssd cached plans, but here is my question

what is my real bottleneck here ? what does the number of api calls i can handle depends on ?
does it make a difference if my db and main server were on an ssd and the actual music files on hdd ? or should i go with just a plain old vps which will definitely be pain to scale

thanks advanced
ahmad