Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I don't know if they are trying to fool me ()
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I don't know if they are trying to fool me ()

Issam2204Issam2204 Member

I'm quite noob and I'm still trying to make my way in this very complex world of networking, dedicated/vps, linux, etc.

I recently rented a dedicated server and I don't know if they are trying to fool me or what. I prefer to avoid making names as long as I don't know if they are true or not.

I was quite disappointed from their "promised 500 Mbits bandwidth" and I asked for a refund. Here is a part of the ticket:

Dear X,

as you can see in these series of tests, the promised bandwidth of 500 Mbps is not real:

root@ms617:~# speedtest-cli --server 2419
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Testing from United Gameserver GmbH (89.163.220.110)...
Hosted by VOO (Liege) [244.60 km]: 21.101 ms
Testing download speed........................................
Download: 662.11 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed..................................................
Upload: 151.05 Mbit/s

root@ms617:~# speedtest-cli --server 5022
Hosted by ONLINE S.A.S. (Vitry-sur-Seine) [533.14 km]: 27.644 ms
Download: 702.69 Mbit/s
Upload: 146.22 Mbit/s

root@ms617:~# speedtest-cli --server 3587
Hosted by LeaseWeb (Haarlem) [337.35 km]: 34.955 ms
Download: 732.50 Mbit/s
Upload: 245.80 Mbit/s

I need a reliable upstream. Unfortunately this is not provided.

Let me quote you for easy reference: "500 Mbps is an Display error Moonshot have only > > > 1000Mbps network." --> I don't understand this. You mean the contrary?

Kind regards,
Issam

Then he/she answered:

please use this speedtest via ssh

1.) #apt-get update
2.) #apt-get install iperf
3.) #iperf -c speed.myloc.de -d

Now from the test this happened:

root@ms617:~# iperf -c speed.myloc.de -d

Server listening on TCP port 5001

TCP window size: 85.3 KByte (default)

Client connecting to speed.myloc.de, TCP port 5001

TCP window size: 374 KByte (default)

[ 5] local 89.163.220.110 port 59565 connected with 62.141.47.66 port 5001
[ 4] local 89.163.220.110 port 5001 connected with 62.141.47.66 port 52170
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 5] 0.0-10.0 sec 755 MBytes 633 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 0.0-10.0 sec 1.03 GBytes 883 Mbits/sec

Can someone explain to me why tests from their datacenter are so high and others are so low?

Comments

• Probably because there data center is right there; there's no appreciable distance for the data to travel from your machine to theirs. Whereas when you test to a remote location, you're going over the broader Internet and that alone has all sorts of latency and routing issues.

• Could be any number of things. Routing issues, network congestion, etc....

• RizRiz Member

Their datacenter is probably local so you flow only through gige switches with not much congestion. As you reach other networks it is slowed down, this could be for many reasons.

• Then it is not a valid test. I don't really care if I can get almost 1gbps on their datacenter. What matters is outside network. :(

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited May 2015

@Issam2204 said:
    Then it is not a valid test. I don't really care if I can get almost 1gbps on their datacenter. What matters is outside network. :(

This is not possible & you're being unrealistic in your expectations. Any provider who offers guaranteed bandwidth does so only on their own network(this is true for budget & medium priced market atleast) , for example if OVH offer you 1000 Mbps guaranteed on a server, it is OVH to OVH that you are guaranteed that transfer speed. Their are many factors which affect download/upload to a remote location e.g distance, latency, carrier, network capacity, switches etc. If I have a server in Asia with 1 Gbps network speed & I also have a server from OVH in France with 1000 Mbps guaranteed, I try to transfer files & get 150 Mbps only then I cannot blame the provider for it because all factors I mentioned above come into play & decrease transfer speed in such a situation.

• But what was the wording on the 500Mbps transit?

Most operators even Online.net (see a previous topic between them and me) state the the guaranteed network is from your server to the edge of their network. There is no way they are guarantee 500Mbps to anywhere in the world.

Thanked by 2Shoaib_A netomx
  • lazytlazyt Member

No one can guarantee you will get 500 all of the time over the net. There are too many variables involved.

• WilliamWilliam Member

@fametel said:
    This is not possible & you're being unrealistic in your expectations. Any provider who offers guaranteed bandwidth does so only on their own network

Not true. Simple as that.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Issam2204 said:
    Then it is not a valid test. I don't really care if I can get almost 1gbps on their datacenter. What matters is outside network. :(

Did you test the network at all before buying?

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited May 2015

@MarkTurner said:
    But what was the wording on the 500Mbps transit?

Most operators even Online.net (see a previous topic between them and me) state the the guaranteed network is from your server to the edge of their network. There is no way they are guarantee 500Mbps to anywhere in the world.

But unfortunately many people fail to understand this. If they want truly guaranteed bandwidth to anywhere in the world, they should be ready to pay premium prices with providers like Sofllayer & others in that premium offerings tier.

• @William said:
    Not true. Simple as that.

Which one is not true, what I've said or what the customer is expecting?

• WilliamWilliam Member

You say ANY provider won't guarantee BW on links outside their network - That is simply not true, i can list at least 5 ISPs that guarantee the network uplink all the way to the customers. Not within LEB range of course but they do exist.

Thanked by 1vpsGOD
  • @William said:
    You say ANY provider won't guarantee BW on links outside their network - That is simply not true, i can list at least 5 ISPs that guarantee the network uplink all the way to the customers. Not within LEB range of course but they do exist.

Sure if you are ready to pay for quality stuff, you can get it. But if a customer wants that, they would neither be here searching for it nor crying about it. When on LET, I generally say things in context of LE* market & I've edited the original post to be more clear on it.

• vpslegendvpslegend Member
    edited May 2015

@William said:

can you explain it a bit more because I cant understand how anyone could guarantee bandwidth from one part of the world to another with so many variables involved.

• WilliamWilliam Member

By transport links to local exchanges and transits mainly - Softlayer for example offers this as "premium".

• @William said:
    By transport links to local exchanges and transits mainly - Softlayer for example offers this as "premium".

ok now I understand but does it not mean what the guy above was saying is true because I don't think op would be with softlayer or such a premium service where he can expect 500 mbit/s guaranteed to his home

• Issam2204Issam2204 Member
    edited May 2015

Yes but I'm not expecting 500 Mbps in USA or Canada. Speed tests from Germany (location of the server) to NL or FR are fairly slow (in upstream) (around 150 Mbps).

Online.net says 1 Gbps and it delivers 200 Mbps (and more). These guys say 1Gbps with guaranteed 500 Mbps but max looks like 150.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited May 2015

They can't guarentee your transfer speed over a single TCP connection.
    Use a benchmarking tool which makes multiple connection in parallel. To multiple places. A torrent could work, if it's not forbidden in their ToS.

• ItsChrisGItsChrisG Member
    edited May 2015

@issam2204

500MBPS IS A CAPACITY NOT A SPEED!
    NO ONE CAN GUARANTEE 500MBPS WITH A SINGLE DOWNLOAD TO ANYONE/EVERYWHERE ON THE INTERNET.

500MBPS BANDWIDTH IS A CAPACITY, NOT A SPEED RATING!!!!

Get a clue!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2015

No matter what, nobody ca guarantee a speed to someone else's home. Well, apart from same provider (intranet) such as isp datacenter/storage to subscriber, when they control everything.
    Softlayer and the mother of internet, cannot guarantee 500 mbps transfers to my home, even if i have 1 gbps line and they have 1 gbps port in romania at my server i have with them.
    It would mean they are guaranteeing for my provider, that is not possible, even if they are interconnected, as my provider may screw up, or my router may screw up, whatever can happen, will happen, given enough tries and every second you test it, is another try.