Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do they really care ? cPanel VPS vs Dedicated for their provider's license
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do they really care ? cPanel VPS vs Dedicated for their provider's license

I was doing hosting business for about 2-3 years (Yes I know it's not a lot) and I've met few people who worried about cPanel license their hosting provider using. Most of them tend to choose Dedicated licensed providers instead of VPS licensed providers.

When it comes to me, I wasn't caring back then about the license. Even if it's VPS or Dedicated, I don't care. I only seek a good service. But most of the folks here asking dedi licensed providers.

How about your experience.

Do you care if your provider is using a cPanel VPS
  1. Please select one of the following49 votes
    1. Yes, I do care
      10.20%
    2. Whatever
      28.57%
    3. No, I don't care
      61.22%

Comments

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Many providers save money by making one or two vps on a big dedicated server so it's not bad.

• shovenose said: Many providers save money by making one or two vps on a big dedicated server so it's not bad.

Yes, I totally agree with you. On other hand, it also reduce the customers bill.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

But most of the folks here asking dedi licensed providers.

Where?

• Jar said: Where?

I currently live in Sri Lanka.

• Cost wise, depends on how it's done. I for one, prefer to split a ds into several vpses so that if one gets hacked or infested, it's just one, the rest are safe. This method is more costly as it involves several, at least 4, cPanel licenses, per current ds specification of 32GB RAM, 2 x 2TB storage.

• nitro85nitro85 Member
    edited May 2015

I don't care, I prefer Webuzo to cPanel and its free

Webuzo its the easiest and most complete in terms of options to config the whole stack and addons, in their web panel without needing a single command line

Webuzo is made by Softaculous

There's so many great panels, cPanel may be the rule for share hosting providers, but for an own VPS or dedicated there's so many other great option that do the same or even better

cPanel licensing is such an horrible burden, it gets more expensive than the VPS these days

@sdglhm said:
    I currently live in Sri Lanka.

No I mean where here are most people asking that shared hosts have dedicated licenses?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

It is no indicator at all.
    For example, at Clouvider we virtualise our hosting servers to put them in the Cloud, to guarantee high availability. The said Cloud machines are much more powerful that most Dedicated Servers used for shared hosting here. They have dedicated CPUs, Dedicated SSD Datastores, etc. As those servers are virtual we obviously use VPS license instead of Dedicated. Does it make our platform worse? I would say it's much better than single server deployments with no failover!

• Jar said: No I mean where here are most people asking that shared hosts have dedicated licenses?

Also in Sri Lanka.

Clouvider said: Does it make our platform worse? I would say it's much better than single server deployments with no failover!

Thank you for your idea. We are planning to move all our hosting plans to clouds. But many here only asks for Dedi license, not VPS license with their hosting solution. (Yes Shared hosting)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

A virtual server is easier to restore in case of a disaster, counting restoring customers accounts etc....

The drawback is a slight loss in performance (the virt layer) but in most cases this is accepted.

Another advantage is upgrading, a virtual server can easily be upgraded by moving the virtual server to another node with better/faster CPU/Disk.

• mikho said: The drawback is a slight loss in performance (the virt layer) but in most cases this is accepted.

If the server is good and good resources allocated to virtual server. As you've said, this is not a problem at all

• As a matter of fact, I highly appreciate voters also.

@sdglhm said:
    Also in Sri Lanka

Ah I see, I thought you meant here like on LET. It's odd to me because I can't see why anyone would make that demand. To me, virtualization or containerization is the first step toward high availability and/or a highly portable environment that allows faster recovery from emergency situations. To me it's actually a benefit.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited May 2015

Clouvider said: It is no indicator at all. For example, at Clouvider we virtualise our hosting servers to put them in the Cloud, to guarantee high availability. The said Cloud machines are much more powerful that most Dedicated Servers used for shared hosting here. They have dedicated CPUs, Dedicated SSD Datastores, etc. As those servers are virtual we obviously use VPS license instead of Dedicated. Does it make our platform worse? I would say it's much better than single server deployments with no failover!

you really got into believing that "cloud" marketing bs.. it's simply a VPS.

• Jar said: Ah I see, I thought you meant here like on LET. It's odd to me because I can't see why anyone would make that demand. To me, virtualization or containerization is the first step toward high availability and/or a highly portable environment that allows faster recovery from emergency situations. To me it's actually a benefit.

Yup, I totally agree with you. Virtualized container is more portable than a Dedicated.

• I agree with @Jar but tbh it really doesn't matter what license a provider is using as long as things work as you expect them to :)

edited May 2015

@TarZZ92 said:
    you really got into believing that "cloud" marketing bs.. it's simply a VPS.

No sir. Do some reading up on CoreOS + docker to get an idea of how containerization can take simple services and make them portable in such a way that the machine running it almost becomes the useless detail. Though not the same, OpenVZ containers are also much easier to port around and make full copies of the working system in other locations. The best answer to everything is not always rsync.

Is all of that relevant to cPanel? Maybe some yes and maybe some no. That said, containerization is relevant to the VPS license and also relevant to inexpensive cloud configurations. Cloud is not a marketing term simply because so many people ran with it as such. You can start calling all VPS "trees" but it doesn't change that a tree is still a real thing.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • Jar said: OpenVZ containers are also much easier to port around and make full copies of the working system in other locations.

Agree.

Jar said: Do some reading up on CoreOS + docker

Most of the folks still do believe both cloud and vps are same

Thanked by 1jar
  • TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

Jar said: No sir. Do some reading up on CoreOS + docker to get an idea of how containerization can take simple services and make them portable in such a way that the machine running it almost becomes the useless detail. Though not the same, OpenVZ containers are also much easier to port around and make full copies of the working system in other locations. The best answer to everything is not always rsync.

No Sir.

Cloud is simply a nonsense marketing term.

edited May 2015

@TarZZ92 said:
    Cloud is simply a nonsense marketing term.

Oh go tell more people their CPUs suck :P

I kid, I kid. Agree to disagree http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing :)

Thanked by 1yomero
  • TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

sdglhm said: Most of the folks still do believe both cloud and vps are same

they are lol

• JonchunJonchun Member

@TarZZ92 said:

They don't call themselves Cloudiver Clouvider for no reason!

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

Jonchun said: They don't call themselves Cloudiver Clouvider for no reason!

it's a company name that's it

Jar said: I kid, I kid. Agree to disagree http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing :)

anyone can edit that page Jar, even me :)

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Clouvider said:
    It is no indicator at all.
    For example, at Clouvider we virtualise our hosting servers to put them in the Cloud, to guarantee high availability. The said Cloud machines are much more powerful that most Dedicated Servers used for shared hosting here. They have dedicated CPUs, Dedicated SSD Datastores, etc. As those servers are virtual we obviously use VPS license instead of Dedicated. Does it make our platform worse? I would say it's much better than single server deployments with no failover!

What control panels do you use? What's your setup like? What happens if your SAN storage goes offline?

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Jar said: No sir. Do some reading up on CoreOS + docker to get an idea of how containerization can take simple services and make them portable in such a way that the machine running it almost becomes the useless detail. Though not the same, OpenVZ containers are also much easier to port around and make full copies of the working system in other locations. The best answer to everything is not always rsync.

And with all of that, it is still a VPS.

"Cloud" is a meaningless marketing buzzword. It's used to describe anything from hourly-billed VPSes, to High Availability services, to SaaS, to... anything that needs to sound fancy, really. Just use the correct term for a service instead of this "cloud" nonsense. Calling it "cloud" is doing nobody a favour.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @joepie91 said:
    Calling it "cloud" is doing nobody a favour.

It is for the provider ;)

• I care. If you try to be cheap and cut corners, how can I trust you to provide me good service?

edited May 2015

joepie91 said: Just use the correct term for a service instead of this "cloud" nonsense

Sorry, I don't let other people tell me what to call things, especially not marketing companies who try to screw things up. If I stopped using words every time a Microsoft commercial made them look stupid, well...that would just be limiting my vocabulary. I wasn't responsible for the word becoming so vague, but you'll see that I called the technologies what they are above...containers, etc. Agree to disagree on the word cloud :)

And for reference, if you ever hear me say cloud I'm referring more to high availability.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I suppose the idea is that a dedicated license owner is bigger because he's not just renting a VPS and reselling that.

But there's nothing preventing a "big" provider from preferring VPSes for cPanel so it's a flawed way to look at providers.

cPanel's license encourages people to take a big dedicated server and put a single VPS on it rather than buying a dedicated license.

Also...how do you know which license the provider is using? If you're just going by the VPS Optimized graphic, then that is something the provider can change if he wants.

• raindog308 said: Also...how do you know which license the provider is using? If you're just going by the VPS Optimized graphic,

You can always check it from verify.cpanel.net. It will show you the cPanel license type company using

Thanked by 1raindog308