Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Geolocation web tools
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Geolocation web tools

gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
edited May 2015 in Help

Hello Gals and Lads

I've seen quite a few discussions regarding geolocation stuff. As you probably know we use our own geolocation databases for Rage4 DNS and we though that we can make them available as web tools. So now we need YOU to tell us how should we do it :)

Cheers

Peter

Rage4 is awsome, I want them to
  1. code their new geolocation web tools ...26 votes
    1. as REST service,
      61.54%
    2. as webservice (SOAP)
        0.00%
    3. as jQuery plugin
        3.85%
    4. f*** it, just give me binary databases
      34.62%
  2. so I can get following info ...26 votes
    1. country
        0.00%
    2. country, city
        3.85%
    3. country, city, region
        3.85%
    4. country, city, region, coordinates
        7.69%
    5. country, city, region, coordinates, address type (DSL, GOV, ISP etc.)
      84.62%

Comments

• REST API please.

• rds100rds100 Member

Maybe just a text (csv) file, like MaxMind's free database?

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@rds100 - no :)

• tommytommy Member

how about binary databases?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited May 2015

Just gimme the binaries!

Edit: Kuddos for you for sharing it:)

The problem with binary databases is that we don't want to provide lite version (with missing/corrupted data). The full binary databases will be available as paid option.

Note that our databases are 100% compatible with leading geolocation provider

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

I would love it as a REST service with an option to query for specific info.

• REST API all the way.

• udkudk Member

I assume you'll be charging for use of the service? What makes it better than the alternatives?

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

How accurate is your db compared to maxminds db?

udk said: I assume you'll be charging for use of the service?

We are still thinking about this. For sure there will be free option which will require linking back to our website and probably some paid option for sites which require huge number of requests.

udk said: What makes it better than the alternatives?

Our databases are optimized for DNS purposes which means that we focus on residential IPs (up to /32 level), the IPs on other levels are matched up to /24

• rds100rds100 Member

@gbshouse how about dns api then?

host -t txt 4.3.2.1.geolocation.rage4.com

Thanked by 1MikePT
    edited May 2015

rds100 said: how about dns api then?

Sounds interesting

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

the rbl style dns lookup would be good, no tcp overheads. but yeah just a simple JSON api would be wonderful for the rest of the world.

Also as others have asked. How do you guarantee a more accurate geolocation for your database over the (free or paid) maxmind versions. I think this point is the bigger question to assure users.

Also how frequent will updates be done to said database? both updating already existing IP addresses and newly routed ones?

How would you deal with anycast'd IP address? (i realize you said you will focus on residential ISP, but still am curious to know)

Zappie said: Also as others have asked. How do you guarantee a more accurate geolocation for your database over the (free or paid) maxmind versions. I think this point is the bigger question to assure users.

We guarantee similar or better accuracy. Remember that we operate pretty large network and we gather routing information across the Globe, which we later use for correction purposes.

Zappie said: Also how frequent will updates be done to said database? both updating already existing IP addresses and newly routed ones?

Usually twice a month or on demand if more than 10 corrections is pending

Zappie said: How would you deal with anycast'd IP address? (i realize you said you will focus on residential ISP, but still am curious to know)

On country/city level prefix origin, on type level we have dedicated type