Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggested Reading?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Suggested Reading?

eastoncheastonch Member
edited October 2012 in General

Hey there,

As some of you guys may know, I'm studying an IT course at my Local College, now I know whatever I read, will go above and beyond what's expected from me in college, but I'd love to be able to pick up a book now and then and find resources I actually need for when I progress to university.

So, I pose this question.

Any suggested reads for Networking, in a physical/logical topology sense, (Tree, hybrid, star, ring etc.)?
How about Computer Architecture?

Anything suggestible for the Computer Science course I will be engorging next year will also be helpful :)!

Thanks.

Comments

• @eastonch Are you American or British?

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

He's a brit afaik.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Are you dealing with any particular brands? I know around here, all Networking courses are Cisco based.

• @eastonch said: Any suggested reads for Networking

I suggest the book "Computer networks", written by Andrew S. Tanenbaum. Not the best Tanenbaum book, but very useful still, and easy to read.

• AsadAsad Member
    edited October 2012

I'll try and find my university course reading material for you (CompSci).

We do a lot of computer architecture in our Networks & OS module, last years reading material for that was "Operating System Concepts" by Silberschatz, Galvin and Gagne (6th edition+) which is a pretty good read.

If you shoot me an email, I can send over some course material on modules you're interested in.

• If i run to university again i read first to Paul Samuelson to know the state of the art or something more around there. TI is a economic layer and TI professionals drop this part of science.

In the field properly Tanenbaum and Roger Pressman are mandatory in the first year and maybe again later.

• Thanks guys so far;

At college I'm studying a BTEC Extended Diploma, there's no "brand" we go by, and all theory is general, nothing brand specific such as Cisco, however I do have to mention about up and coming future trends, like last year we discussed things like Cloud Computing and 4G Infrastructure.