Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a VPS host for an upcoming project with specific requirements
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a VPS host for an upcoming project with specific requirements

Hi all, I've been lurking on and off for a few years now, and have recently thought up a large webservice project I would like to do, and would like input from you guys.

My goal here is to find a VPS which would (eventually, I hope) run a large amount of VPSs for my customers.

I'm mostly up to date on the various offerings, including Linode (currently where I have a single VPS), DO, Vultr, and most recently Lunanode.

My requirements are: US or at least NA locations, Docker support (including the memory boot options: cgroup_enable=memory swapaccount=1), SSD, API including startup scripts, and pooled bandwidth.

Here's the issues I have with the listed VPSs:

*DO doesn't have pooled bandwidth (yet?). I should note that I guess it's possible to use DO, but my customers would have to take into account this when using the service. (Thinking about this more, perhaps it's not such a bad idea.)

*My current Linode doesn't have the cgroup memory option. Do others? I am using a 32bit distro with 64bit kernel if that matters.

*Vultr doesn't have pooled bandwidth either, their price hike is questionable, and someone mentioned that their API is busted?

*Lunanode would be perfect if it wasn't for their 20% CPU usage in their terms.

Anyone have suggestions?

Comments

• comXyzcomXyz Member

I was looking for the same thing, and ended up getting few dedicated servers then manage them myself.

So my suggestion: get few dedicated servers, then do whatever you want to.

• Docker is impossible on OpenVZ (for now)

Your looking at KVM or dedicated servers here.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Docker is impossible on OpenVZ (for now)

Your looking at KVM or dedicated servers here.

That isn't exactly true
    https://openvz.org/Docker_inside_CT

Thanked by 1ya_
  • Have you ever tried that?

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Have you ever tried that?

Not yet

• Then try it and then comment next time.

• @ya_ said:
    Like the wiki states, it is possible.

Docker fails on OVZ kernel 2. They only just released a kernel 3 but SolusVM and others won't support it as it requires CentOS 7 which they don't support. If you want to try it go ahead but i can guarantee it won't like it.

• BruceBruce Member

is there much interest in docker? looks interesting as an alternative to OpenVZ. am going to run it up on a dev server soon.

• J1021J1021 Member

ProfessorPasta said: *DO doesn't have pooled bandwidth (yet?). I should note that I guess it's possible to use DO, but my customers would have to take into account this when using the service. (Thinking about this more, perhaps it's not such a bad idea.)

DO currently doesn't enforce any data transfer quotas.

• Can you elaborate on pooled? Do you mean transit between VMs, or aggregating transit across your resources / servers?

• @dediserve said:
    Can you elaborate on pooled? Do you mean transit between VMs, or aggregating transit across your resources / servers?

I guess what he refers to is pooling bandwidth between multiple servers, e.g. having multiple servers and being able to use bandwidth of another server when one fills up.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • @GATENODE said:
    I guess what he refers to is pooling bandwidth between multiple servers, e.g. having multiple servers and being able to use bandwidth of another server when one fills up.

Gotcha! If it helps, that's how our service works by default, transit is assigned by pool, each pool per location, which can have as many servers of any spec you want in it (and free gigabit private LAN)

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Please be aware that Docker does not provide secure isolation. It is designed to make application/environment management easier, not to isolate systems in a multi-tenant environment with potentially malicious tenants or software. More here.