Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi, Online.net, Webtropia, ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi, Online.net, Webtropia, ?

Issam2204Issam2204 Member
edited May 2015 in General

So, I've used dedicated from Kimsufi (KS-2), Online.net (XC 2015) and the HP Moonshot M from Webtropia. So far all have pros and cons, these considerations refer to the servers that I recently tested:

Kimsufi

PROS
fast delivery (for me at least) and reliable servers --> 100MB/s IO, 100Mbps stable, I like the panel, different OS to choose from, dirty cheap - 2TB for 12€ per month is amazing.
CONS
100 Mbps are simply no enough for me. Good as long as you don't have to contact the support for commercial (technical) issues.

Online.net

PROS
Fast delivery. Nice bandwidth and a faster (not necessarily better) support.
CONS
More expensive than Kimsufi (OVH), IO almost half (around 60MB/s), setup fees too high, 20€ --> First month almost 50 € (setup fees + server).

Webtropia

PROS
No setup fees, refund 30 days and 14 days termination without explanation. Delivery time in the average (for me 3h and it was a Saturday, so no complain there). It offers 32GB SSD for the OS as well as 1TB for data. Unmetered 1Gbps.
CONS
1Gbps with 500Mbps promised is just on paper: upstream only reaches 100Mbps, and 200Mbps if you are lucky. Download is better (around 500Mbps). Bad panel with no information about hardware.

Now my question is: do you know any other provider of dedicated servers that can offer similar specs with similar prices? I need something like 2TB with unmetered bandwidth of 1Gbps (guaranteed of 200 or up). I believe other solutions could be Hetzner or SoYouStart, but they are already too expensive.

Thank you for reading :)

Comments

• NomadNomad Member
    edited May 2015

There's worldstream and server4you but they're 100mb and rather expensive compared to your examples.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • "CONS 1Gbps with 500Mbps promised is just on paper"

Maybe contact their support, a friend had a similar issue and they sorted it out.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • I already did, I'm waiting for their answer :D

• KS2 is 1TB but the 5 me and mates have are 2TB

• NomadNomad Member

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    KS2 is 1TB but the 5 me and mates have are 2TB

In the end, that all depends on how close you are with lady luck.

• edited May 2015

Comparing Atom™ N2800 with C2750 (Avoton)?. Unfair!.

• comXyzcomXyz Member

I have few servers with Online.net, and 60MBs IO is not normal.

• @mustafaramadhan said:
    Comparing Atom™ N2800 with C2750 (Avoton)?. Unfair!.

True, XC 2015 has a better CPU.

@comXyz said:
    I have few servers with Online.net, and 60MBs IO is not normal.

I'm specifically referring to the XC 2015. And this is actually the normal value.

• rokokrokok Member

Did you 'try' to cancel Webtropia? :) they will ask bunch of letter or send fax if you sign up contract

• @rokok said:
    Did you 'try' to cancel Webtropia? :) they will ask bunch of letter or send fax if you sign up contract

I sent a ticket this morning. I believe it is easier if you used the server for less than 14 days. Anyway now I'll send an email as written in the TOS.

• rokokrokok Member

ive been using them in the past (yes its cheap for high-end server) yearly contract, luckily im aware the cancellation process is VERY difficult!

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • Actually I've chosen monthly without renewal. I hope it goes well ;) thanks for the feedback!

• @Issam2204 said:
    HP Moonshot M from Webtropia

Speaking of Moonshot, how does that 1TB of storage work? Is it network-attached? With NFS? What kind of performance does it offer?

And how is the CPU? Reasonable? Does it come with integrated GPU or is that only true for the desktop version of Opteron X2150?

• comXyzcomXyz Member

@Issam2204 said:

Yes I have few XC 2015 also, what is your dd test command?

• dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync

maybe? Although I'm more interested in general performance: are there slowdowns? Timeouts?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@Issam2204 what's the Webtropia offer link? And in general you should mention prices when comparing 3 offers.

• Issam2204Issam2204 Member
    edited May 2015

@comXyz said:
    Yes I have few XC 2015 also, what is your dd test command?

As BasementCluster said the command was

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync

@BasementCluster said:
    And how is the CPU? Reasonable? Does it come with integrated GPU or is that only true for the desktop version of Opteron X2150?

Regarding the 1TB drive I didn't find it (?)
    I typed "df -h", "lsblk", and "cfdisk /dev/sdb" but I there is no trace of it.
    I still have the server I believe, so if you can tell me how to perform these tests I'll be glad to do them.

@rm_ said:
    Issam2204 what's the Webtropia offer link? And in general you should mention prices when comparing 3 offers.

Online.net XC 2015: 15.99 € + 20 € setup fees.

Webtropia HP Moonshot M: 19.99 € no setup fees.

Kimsufi KS-2: 9.99 € + 10 € setup fees

All prices are without VAT.

This is the link for the Webtropia: https://www.webtropia.com/en/rent-dedicated-server/hp-moonshot-rootserver/moonshot-details.html?pid=MoonshotM

• comXyzcomXyz Member

@Issam2204

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 9.07888 s, 118 MB/s

• Issam2204Issam2204 Member
    edited May 2015

I didn't have those results :(

Average was 60 MB/s.

I don't have anymore the XC 2015. But I still have the Webtropia. The SSD delivered this (poor) performance:

root@ms617:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync 16384+0 records in 16384+0 records out 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 17.668 s, 60.8 MB/s

Some speedtests:

root@ms617:~# speedtest-cli --server 2419 Retrieving speedtest.net configuration... Retrieving speedtest.net server list... Testing from United Gameserver GmbH ()... Hosted by VOO (Liege) [244.60 km]: 34.463 ms Testing download speed........................................ Download: 455.12 Mbit/s Testing upload speed.................................................. Upload: 58.81 Mbit/s

root@ms617:~# speedtest-cli --server 5022 Retrieving speedtest.net configuration... Retrieving speedtest.net server list... Testing from United Gameserver GmbH ()... Hosted by ONLINE S.A.S. (Vitry-sur-Seine) [533.14 km]: 43.586 ms Testing download speed........................................ Download: 744.02 Mbit/s Testing upload speed.................................................. Upload: 66.39 Mbit/s

root@ms617:~# speedtest-cli --server 3587 Retrieving speedtest.net configuration... Retrieving speedtest.net server list... Testing from United Gameserver GmbH ()... Hosted by LeaseWeb (Haarlem) [337.35 km]: 16.726 ms Testing download speed........................................ Download: 707.07 Mbit/s Testing upload speed.................................................. Upload: 23.34 Mbit/s

• gonzogonzo Member

what's about the kernel of the servers? are they modified?

• I believe they are (sure about Kimsufi).

gonzo said: what's about the kernel of the servers? are they modified?

You can always use your own kernel or just the stock kernel of your distro.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • edited May 2015

SSD with 60.8 MB/s is very very bad. Did you complained to provider?.

Issam2204 said: Webtropia HP Moonshot M: 19.99 € no setup fees.

Also this is way too expensive, it makes no sense whatsoever when you can get a whole KS4 for the same price.

• Yeah but the issue is more than one: look at the low upstream performance. I mean it's almost disturbing to see those numbers on something called "dedicated".