Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

hP iLO 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

hP iLO 2

amistleyamistley Member

I just wanted to know if anyone has any tips and tricks to get iLO 2 working properly? I recently purchased the Delimiter Dual L5420 deal with the idea of loading Windows 8.1 onto the server to use as a remote desktop, which I managed to do somewhat painfully. I was never able to get the Java Virtual Media tool or the Java Remote Console to work, have you been able to?

I was able to get the Integrated Remote Console that works with Internet Explorer working by putting IE into compatibility mode and installing the ActiveX control. I was also able to use the Virtual Media tool that was integrated into that Remote Console, but unfortunately the connection was to unreliable to install the windows ISO.

In the end, I used the iLO CLI to mount the windows ISO from another server that I use and set it as the boot option. Reading tips from forums, the virtual media function is only able to load ISOs from http servers that use IIS.

In all, from the first start-up to booting in to a fully installed Windows the installation took about 14 hours. I am grateful for having iLO to be able to install a custom ISO, but has anyone got any tips for getting it working faster? Or am I expecting too much?

In case you are interested, I am very satisfied with the performance of my server as a Windows 8.1 RDP desktop. The only thing that is missing is the ability to run OpenGL, as there is no intergrated graphics - unless someone can correct me?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Comments

• @MarkTurner might have some light on this. Otherwise its pretty horrid ILO

• WilliamWilliam Member

ILO2 is broken by design, 3 and higher work much better.

• Disable TLS in the Java control panel. Java's TLS implementation since v6 has been really broken and caused no end of hassles.

The Virtual Media is slow, this is the same on all KVMs. Its something that was originally designed for small ISOs. Also remember that most KVMs run only at 100Mbps.

As a rule of thumb don't use the Virtual Media but use our provisioning system. I know we don't have Windows 8 on there so you are pretty screwed, but you could ask support to mount the ISO locally for you.

On the BL260c there is a ATI RN-50 but its not a highend graphics controller. Its designed to provide a head to a server.

We have workstation blades which another company sells as remote desktop servers. That has a higher end (not high end) graphics controller on it.

Thanked by 1amistley
  • bugbug Member

Had the same issue when I came across this post. Finally got virtual media to work and hopefully this will be helpful to other people:

http://serverfault.com/questions/288936/hp-dl170-g6-and-lo100-ilo-cant-boot-from-virtual-media

Basically, you need to open 5901 from internet to your machine in order for the virtual media to work. :/