Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

upgraded nginx (1.8.0) - php isn't workin anymore
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

upgraded nginx (1.8.0) - php isn't workin anymore

trexostrexos Member

Hi folks,

I just logged on my xen virtualized vps which I use as a webserver. I did an apt-get update/upgrade and it looks like it installed a new kernel (Linux myvps.tld 3.2.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.2.65-1+deb7u1 i686) and upgraded nginx from (IIRC) 1.6.3 to 1.8.0. I use dotdeb as additional package list server. The upgrade went smooth but it looks like something is messed up with php-fpm which I'm using for serving php based sites, because I receive only white sites when opening a php file. I'm new to nginx as I normally used apache2 so I don't really know how to fix the issue. Here is an example site config I'm using:
http://pastebin.com/iXqqDMQA

Does anyone know how to fix this? I would really appreciate help :)

Comments

• Paste output of /var/log/nginx/error.log (if you have any).

• Without an error log it's not easy to diagnose, but after a quick Google search, it seems a similar problem was resolved on serverfault two days ago:

Link: https://serverfault.com/a/690313

• trexostrexos Member

this line looks interesting to me: http://pastebin.com/ag9Ufrw4

• service php5-fpm restart

What does that say?

• trexostrexos Member

@joodle I already tried that, it simply restarts.

Anyway, @telephone thanks for the hint! I added the line "fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;" and it's working again.

I'm interested, do you know what it exactly changes?

• trvztrvz Member
    edited May 2015

One of the problems is different users specified in the php5-fpm and nginx configurations.

In addition, I've seen instability with nginx 1.8, so I recommend you drop the nginx.org lines from your apt sources, and use Debian Jessie which comes with nginx 1.6 by deleting and reinstalling nginx.

Anyway, if you can't solve this stuff on your own, you shouldn't be running a server…

• trexos said: Anyway, @telephone thanks for the hint! I added the line "fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;" and it's working again.

I'm interested, do you know what it exactly changes?

I'm unsure as I've always had that line in my configs, but while updating to 1.80 it appears /etc/nginx/fastcgi_params was updated.

When you upgrade servers it's always useful to take 30 seconds and check the differences in the config files instead of defaulting to N... That's why I'm highly against unattended upgrades ;).

trvz said: Anyway, if you can't solve this stuff on your own, you shouldn't be running a server…

That's pretty harsh. Not everyone keeps up to date on every application that's installed. Asking for help does not warrant that type of criticism.

• UmutUmut Member

Change include fastcgi_params; line to include fastcgi.conf;

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • @trvz said:
    One of the problems is different users specified in the php5-fpm and nginx configurations.

In addition, I've seen instability with nginx 1.8, so I recommend you drop the nginx.org lines from your apt sources, and use Debian Jessie which comes with nginx 1.6 by deleting and reinstalling nginx.

Anyway, if you can't solve this stuff on your own, you shouldn't be running a server…

We all have issues. I've found yours

Thanked by 2trexos niknar1900
  • ATHKATHK Member

@Umut is correct had this issue lately..

• rokokrokok Member

telephone said: When you upgrade servers it's always useful to take 30 seconds and check the differences in the config files instead of defaulting to N... That's why I'm highly against unattended upgrades ;).

this.

i notice there is some minor difference nginx config
    http://pastebox.in/diff/p5bsyudvn/pppvqbcim

im upgrading from 1.6.3 to 1.8.0 yesterday i didnt change include fastcgi_params; still working ;p

• trexostrexos Member

@telephone thank you :) you are right. Next time I should pay attentio to what actually changed in the config files.

@Umut with include fastcgi.conf it basically takes the the arguments out of the fastcgi.conf file and not from the include fastcgi_params; line?