Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

very cheap VPS in Europe for openVPN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

very cheap VPS in Europe for openVPN

sandrosandro Member
edited October 2012 in General

Hello,
I'm looking for a cheap VPS in Europe for $10ish/y with nothing special. It just needs to be used for 2 hours per day to use torrent protocol not allowed on the college network :P So the provider must allow torrent AS CLIENT on the server.
I suppose 64MB of RAM is enough (?).

I already tried testing another server in the USA with a 256MB VPS. When I surf or download via HTTP the speeds are more or less good depending of the current upload speed of the vps but when I use torrent the speed is always slow or particularly slower than what it should. Does openvpn have problems with the torrent protocol or with the multi connections the torrent client makes? The CPU/RAM usage while connected is not even 1% so I doubt it's a resources problem!

Comments

• AsadAsad Member
    edited October 2012

@sandro Torrents eh? Nothing illegal I hope.. Have you looked at getting a BuyVM 128 in NY? Speeds shouldn't be an issue.

You should be fine with very little RAM if it's VPN only, 64MB will be fine.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited October 2012

If you want a decent Europe provider, With generous bandwidth then 10 bucks isn't going to cut it.

• is 5mbit upload "generous"?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

The problem is not with the allowing or not, but with the IO a torrent will create and with the low plans this will add up a lot on the node.
    Prometeus has such plans but since all deployments of new nodes now concentrate on SSD, the stock for regular OVZ with SAS2 backed storage is 0.
    If many ppl use torrents on low memory plans will mean a lot of IOPS per node and the performance will be very low.
    Using only VPN/HTTP traffic this is not much depending on IO (VPN almost 0, HTTP a bit) so will be much faster.
    I suggest running the client locally and only using the vpn through SSH to get the necessary BW/encryption.
    M

• For a $10/y plan, with consistant 5Mbit usage then sure. :-)

@sandro said: is 5mbit upload "generous"?

• Wait the torrent client will run locally but use the vpn connection

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Maounique said: IO a torrent will create

he will not run torrent on the vps

• for instance now I'm trying to download ubuntu ISO. With my direct connection I get full speed (7mbit) if I do the same via openVPN I can't go over 350KB/s but if I download a file via HTTP I get full speed.

• The CPU/RAM usage while connected is not even 1% so I doubt it's a resources problem!

Maybe you're low on entropy, which would make the SSL encryption stall. As HTTP isn't encrypted that could account for the performance difference.

You don't state which OS you're running in your VPS. If it is Linux, do this:

cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail

If the value is under about a thousand (max is 4096) that could be the source of your OpenVPN performance problem.

On the other hand it could be the number of connections. I'm just speculating. Some OpenVZ containers are stingy in the number of sockets you can have open.

• sandrosandro Member
    edited October 2012

it says 166.
    If the openvpz container limits the number of connections wouldn't this go against the usage of VPS? How can you provide a website if it can't handle numerous connections?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

OK, then use SSH vpn, that will not suffer from entropy problems. Torrent clients can all use SOCKS proxies.
    M

Thanked by 1TheHackBox