Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best OpenVPN client?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best OpenVPN client?

mookiemookie Member
edited October 2011 in Help

Hi everyone!

I recently had the need to install an OpenVPN client in a Windows 7 machine, but found some issues with the official OpenVPN client (doesn't seem to be fully compatible with W7). Mainly some routing issues which seem to occur only on some machines (I tried a few W7 machines), not exactly sure why but I'm guessing some misconfiguration...

So my question is: which clients do you guys use on a windows 7 machine?

I don't mind installing the OpenVPN client (in fact, I'm using it on my own machines) but I've got a couple of friends who don't feel as comfortable as I do configuring the client and need something that pretty much works out of the box.

Thanks in advance for your answers/input!

Comments

• Gotta admit that I just use Putty.

• It works perfectly fine, You just need to remember to run it as Administrator ( Right Click)

• Use Putty a lot too :) Yeah, for me it worked just fine too most of the times. On one or two computers I had to do some tweaking but that was it. But on another few, it seems it doesn't start routing right away... As soon as I connect sometimes I have to wait for some time until I can start browsing blocked websites (they'll still be blocked if I try right away). This can only be some sort of weird routing issue (I tried a bunch of tricks, but little effect)

Thanks both for your answers :)

• How to use Putty with OpenVPN? Sorry for my stupid question but I never used that :(

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited October 2011

I just go with squid...

• No, they refer to use a socks proxy via putty instead a full vpn

• Just run linux it has it built in. No need for more software to clog stuff up.

• Some applications don't do socks, but you can still use putty with a individual port tunnel. For example on my vps I have mysql listening on 127.0.0.1 only. I ssh into the box and setup a tunneled port to 127.0.0.1:3306 on the vps box. Then I can use something like SQLyog to administer the database. No phpmyadmin required.

I've used crazy chained tunnels to get around firewalls all the time. Sometimes it can be hard to explain how it works.

• I use the regular OpenVPN client with windows 7 and it works fine for me.

Awhile back when I was still using Vista I had some issues where the windows routing would sometimes just change and the traffic would start bypassing the vpn, even though the vpn client was still connected.

What I found was that the OpenVPN routing would be overridden when the DHCP lease was renewed. I increased the DHCP lease time on my router to 7 days. I may have done some other things I can't remember anymore, but I think that was it. I haven't noticed any problems since then.

• I use securepoint SSL VPN client. It has a very friendly gui and has ms-fix built-in on its client to overcome some of openvpn client errors on Windows versions. Here is the download link via SourceForge - http://sourceforge.net/projects/securepoint/

cheers

Thanked by 1mrm2005