Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVPN issue with Kimsufi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVPN issue with Kimsufi

Issam2204Issam2204 Member

Hello guys!

I'm here again to ask you about OpenVPN.

I installed OpenVPN on a VPS and I'm using it all the time. I decided to also use it on the Kimsufi (as a client). It works but when I connect the Kimsufi to a VPN it is like if the SSH session times out. I believe this happens because the Kimsufi changes IP and then I have no way of reconnect to it if not by going to the web panel and reboot it from there.

Any idea how I can overcome this issue?

Comments

• edited May 2015

Running an OpenVPN server on a dynamic IP address

While OpenVPN clients can easily access the server via a dynamic IP address without any special configuration, things get more interesting when the server itself is on a dynamic address. While OpenVPN has no trouble handling the situation of a dynamic server, some extra configuration is required.

The first step is to get a dynamic DNS address which can be configured to "follow" the server every time the server's IP address changes. There are several dynamic DNS service providers available, such as dyndns.org.

The next step is to set up a mechanism so that every time the server's IP address changes, the dynamic DNS name will be quickly updated with the new IP address, allowing clients to find the server at its new IP address. There are two basic ways to accomplish this:

Use a NAT router appliance with dynamic DNS support (such as the Linksys BEFSR41). Most of the inexpensive NAT router appliances that are widely available have the capability to update a dynamic DNS name every time a new DHCP lease is obtained from the ISP. This setup is ideal when the OpenVPN server box is a single-NIC machine inside the firewall.

Use a dynamic DNS client application such as ddclient to update the dynamic DNS address whenever the server IP address changes. This setup is ideal when the machine running OpenVPN has multiple NICs and is acting as a site-wide firewall/gateway. To implement this setup, you need to set up a script to be run by your DHCP client software every time an IP address change occurs. This script should (a) run ddclientto notify your dynamic DNS provider of your new IP address and (b) restart the OpenVPN server daemon.

The OpenVPN client by default will sense when the server's IP address has changed, if the client configuration is using a remote directive which references a dynamic DNS name. The usual chain of events is that (a) the OpenVPN client fails to receive timely keepalive messages from the server's old IP address, triggering a restart, and (b) the restart causes the DNS name in the remote directive to be re-resolved, allowing the client to reconnect to the server at its new IP address.

More information can be found in the FAQ.

https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/howto.html#dynamic

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • C0mpassC0mpass Member

Why would your kimsufi IP change? They are all static IP's...

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

@C0mpass said:
    Why would your kimsufi IP change? They are all static IP's...

Yeah, I have never heard of dynamic IPs with a VPS or Dedicated server.

Maybe their network is having issues at the moment.