Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I upgrade ubuntu 11.04 to 11.10 in OpenVZ
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do I upgrade ubuntu 11.04 to 11.10 in OpenVZ

gowtham101gowtham101 Member
edited October 2012 in Help

I use Buyvm's OpenVZ VPS and I wondering how to update as EOL is approaching (Oct 28)

Comments

• apt-get update
    apt-get install update-manager-core
    do-release-upgrade

Answer everything with default values (just press enter or answer with ‘n’).

Check that you're running Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric):
    cat /etc/lsb-release

You should see output that resembles the following:
    DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=11.10
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=oneiric
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 11.10"

• i dunno about 11.10 exactly, but 12.04 and maybe others have different kernel requirements and you can seriously screw your install up depending on what version your provider is running. Although on buyvm it's probably fine because they use 2.6.32.

• hmm ok

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@averell said: Although on buyvm it's probably fine because they use 2.6.32.

We don't use .32 yet, we just tell it to forge .32 or 3.x for all Ubuntu templates :)

Honestly, if you can, get a buyvm+ plan, backup everything you need and reinstall with 12.04.

Francisco

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • @Francisco is running ubuntu 12.04 on your ovz stable?

edited October 2012

@jcaleb said: @Francisco is running ubuntu 12.04 on your ovz stable?

Smooth as buttah'

I did a major overhaul of all of the OVZ templates we have and you'll see that 12.04 is pulled out of the 'beta' folder now.

Once 12.10 is final i'll build a template out of that too :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • @Francisco although i understand you can't 100% guarantee, but i can use your 12.04 for production use right, and i can sleep well at night?

@jcaleb said: @Francisco although i understand you can't 100% guarantee, but i can use your 12.04 for production use right, and i can sleep well at night?

Yep. The template has been available since 12.04 was released in....June? We've had 0 complaints about it and there are tons of people that use it in production without issue.

Honestly I forgot that the template was in the BETA section because there was no complaints about it. I only realized it and moved it to the minimals category the other day.

Fran

• Thank you so much @Francisco ! I will use it!

• @Francisco Does ubuntu break down alot during upgrades ? How many complaints do you guys receive ?

@gowtham101 said: @Francisco Does ubuntu break down alot during upgrades ? How many complaints do you guys receive ?

I recompiled glibc for our ubuntu templates and pinned it so it should upgrade fine.

Unless you mean 11.x -> 12.x?

The biggest issue is it usually screws with /etc/init.

Francisco

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

That new Ubuntu 12.x is a big pain in the ass for me. I am about to upgrade all of my nodes from RHEL5 to RHEL6 so I would be able to run it...