Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

E3-1230 @ $27.95/mo - Quadix<br>8 GB ECC RAM | 1TB Disk | 1 Gbps Port | 3 x IPv4 | Dedicated IPMI - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

E3-1230 @ $27.95/mo - Quadix<br>8 GB ECC RAM | 1TB Disk | 1 Gbps Port | 3 x IPv4 | Dedicated IPMI

Comments

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2015

@twerp said:

Silence is golden..

• edited May 2015

@earl said:
    Silence is golden..

but ductape is silver

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2015

@cmsjr123 said:

im ignorant .. my apologies

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2015

dbl post

• @earl said:
    im ignorant .. my apologies

psh I saw what it said before you edited it hahah

• earlearl Member

@cmsjr123 said:
    psh I saw what it said before you edited it hahah

Then you're a testimony what great guy I really am..

• @earl said:

Yea man. Like no other

• earlearl Member

@cmsjr123 said:
    Yea man. Like no other

I suppose that's meant to be condescending.. but what ever.

• @earl said:

Not really but haha

• @earl said:

We charge 25% more, meaning we make 25% more. Plus, I own all of the hardware and after 2 years, I get to keep it (unlike VolumeDrive who leases and has to either extend their lease or return it after 2 years). 25% is a big difference. Over 100 servers, we would be able to employ someone ~100 more hours than them. That's 25 hours a week, almost a full time employee! However, that 25% to you (the client) turns out to only be $10 - $15. Not the biggest jump, but over 100+ servers, it adds up.

• @Steven_F said:
    We charge 25% more, meaning we make 25% more. Plus, I own all of the hardware and after 2 years, I get to keep it (unlike VolumeDrive who leases and has to either extend their lease or return it after 2 years). 25% is a big difference. Over 100 servers, we would be able to employ someone ~100 more hours than them. That's 25 hours a week, almost a full time employee! However, that 25% to you (the client) turns out to only be $10 - $15. Not the biggest jump, but over 100+ servers, it adds up.

But by your earlier stated logic you're servers are very cheap and therefore the service wouldn't be that great. That is exactly what you said. I believe VolumeDrive owns all of these as they're not that expensive for the X5650 CPUs... I'm certain they are from their VPS nodes before and therefore it's still profit for them.

I really don't know enough about them to confirm or deny it though, just my assumptions. Unless you have the contractual agreement for the hardware in your hands and are copying it down neither of us have any room to definitively answer this. So until then it's all speculation from both of us.

• earlearl Member

@Steven_F said:

Well Steven, 25% of $27.95 is actually $6.98 not $10-$15.. you're selling an E3 with 16GB of RAM for $34.93? Then quadix may actually be more expensive, since an 8GB of RAM upgrade would make this offer $37.95.

• @earl said:

Our E3 is $50/month and comes with 16 GB of RAM. Theirs is $27.95 + $10. That's $37.95 a month. That's approximately 25% cheaper than our server (or $12 a month).

• earlearl Member

@Steven_F said:
    Our E3 is $50/month and comes with 16 GB of RAM.

It's not expensive enough.. I'm sure If I go to WHT someone there will be more than happy to charge me 4 or 5 times more for practically the same thing!

If it cost more it must be better right?

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @earl said:

The difference is, we're able to depreciate the hardware over say 24 months and make $12 a month more profit than they are. $12 per server adds up. Say they make $3, so we're making $15. Instead of pocketing all of that cash, I reinvest it into the company in the form of hiring staff. So, we both walk away having made say $3 for the server, but I also have employees working to insure that your server is up, everything is running smoothly, and there to help if a problem arises. I don't see what's difficult to comprehend about this. They're simply not making enough money on their services to have a reasonable return and staff 24x7. Even if they sold 1,000 of these, they would only be able to employ one person full time. On the other hand, I (or anyone else at a more reasonable rate), would be able to staff these 1,000 clients 24x7 and have money left over to reinvest in infrastructure and other costs.

That's what you're paying for. Obviously, the VD servers are perfect for someone who doesn't need 100% uptime. However, when I was with them, I experienced ~98% uptime. For me, that was acceptable, given that I used the server for just a few hours a month. Perfectly worth the money I paid. Had I needed real support and proper availability, I would not have gone with VD. There is a point in pricing where if you go below, you're going to have to cut costs somewhere. They go way below that point. You get what you pay for. In this case, you're reducing the quality and consistency of support AND hardware (Kingston SSDs...), but you're also reducing your cost/pricing. In some cases, this is fine, in others it's not.

In addition, we've seen that this pricing is unstable in the past. They have run from two datacenters. Now they "own" their facility (IDK if they rent, I'd bet they do), so they don't have to run, just lock out the sheriffs if they ever come. Of course, that all takes months to years to process, so in that time, they could make some decent money by not paying their lease fully or at all, which is what they've done in the past (check WHT, the law suit files are there).

• WilliamWilliam Member

i doubt much info about VD is accurate - No leasing company would else deal with them.

• Steven_FSteven_F Member
    edited May 2015

@William said:
    i doubt much info about VD is accurate - No leasing company would else deal with them.

You doubt the lawsuit by Data Sales? Also, if you're willing to screw over a family member, you can always get a lease/loan off of their credit.

• WilliamWilliam Member

You doubt the lawsuit by Data Sales? Also, if you're willing to screw over a family member, you can always get a lease/loan off of their credit.

Link to judge/jury decision? These things are public in the US - Why did no one post them at WHT?

I also highly doubt a leasing company gives some private person with a new LLC 1000+ E3 servers...

• I really doubt that VD is leasing E3-1230, these machines are very old. Lease houses want to lease the latest kit so when it gets handed back there is a residual value.

Given VD's alleged former leasing issues, its likely that no lease house will go near them, especially not for kit that has almost no resale value (or insufficient after repossession).

• FredQcFredQc Member

Speaking of cheap E3's, there where a promotion at Alnitech

CPU: Quad Core **Xeon E3-1230v3** 3.3-3.7 GHz, 8MB (4 physical Cores, 8 HT cores)
    RAM: 16GB ECC DDR3
    HDD: 2x1000GB SATA 7.2K Software RAID1, HOT-SWAP!
    Included:
    PROACTIVE BMC LOG MONITORING
    100Mbps UNMETERED Port
    Gold-level power supply
    5 IPs for free
    DEDICATED IPMI CONNECTED TO SEPARATE NETWORK (KVM over IP, remote media)

REGULAR PRICE: $149.99/monthly
    SALE* PRICE is for lifetime (100_OFF coupon): $49.99/monthly WOW!!

Those specs are not bad for $50 a month

• RizRiz Member

@FredQc

I would avoid Alnitech. I ordered two of those servers and they were not delivered with 1230V3. Instead, both were only 1230s.

First, I was told that "the servers have near the same specifications", followed by "our tech didn't realize.", to "we don't have any E3V3 in stock in Chicago. Will Asheville work?", and finally "we found a few E3V3 in Chicago that I can deploy for you."

Additionally, IPMI is on a public IP with no firewall in front it.

• @FredQc said:
    Speaking of cheap E3's, there where a promotion at Alnitech

CPU: Quad Core **Xeon E3-1230v3** 3.3-3.7 GHz, 8MB (4 physical Cores, 8 HT cores)
    RAM: 16GB ECC DDR3
    HDD: 2x1000GB SATA 7.2K Software RAID1, HOT-SWAP!
    Included:
    PROACTIVE BMC LOG MONITORING
    100Mbps UNMETERED Port
    Gold-level power supply
    5 IPs for free
    DEDICATED IPMI CONNECTED TO SEPARATE NETWORK (KVM over IP, remote media)

REGULAR PRICE: $149.99/monthly
    SALE* PRICE is for lifetime (100_OFF coupon): $49.99/monthly WOW!!

Those specs are not bad for $50 a month

Where's the promotion at? Ill jump now

• Rob_TRob_T Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2015

@MarkTurner said:
    I really doubt that VD is leasing E3-1230, these machines are very old. Lease houses want to lease the latest kit so when it gets handed back there is a residual value.

Given VD's alleged former leasing issues, its likely that no lease house will go near them, especially not for kit that has almost no resale value (or insufficient after repossession).

Leasing companies are pretty generous at times with returned /repossessed gear. They have often recouped most if not all of their initial investment, so anything they get is pure profit. All of the gear they are using looks like off-lease stuff to me, which makes perfect sense.

• @Rob_T - this stuff is definitely off-lease or disposal stock. But cash is king for this. You'd get these systems for pennies on the dollar if you can buy them by the container load.

• earlearl Member

@FredQc

I think Quadix other deal is still better..

Dual Intel Xeon L5630 16 Core Processors

32 GB DDR3 ECC Memory (upgradable to 48 GB)

250 GB Enterprise SSD or 1 TB Hard Drive ( Standard )

1 Gbps Burstable Port ( 30TB Transfer )

Dell iDRAC Remote Management

SSD Hard Drives Standard

$37.95/mo

• FredQcFredQc Member
    edited May 2015

@earl said:
    FredQc

I think Quadix other deal is still better..

Dual Intel Xeon L5630 16 Core Processors

32 GB DDR3 ECC Memory (upgradable to 48 GB)

250 GB Enterprise SSD or 1 TB Hard Drive ( Standard )

1 Gbps Burstable Port ( 30TB Transfer )

Dell iDRAC Remote Management

SSD Hard Drives Standard

$37.95/mo

When Quadix works it's fine, but they used to reboot my server at least once in a month without warning... Tickets answers where always like: "We had a major network fail" or "The switch as to be replaced" Bla bla bla...

And don't forget the $49 deal has E3v3 and two disks.

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2015

@FredQc said:

Hmm I never had the reboot issue with volume drive.. I did have that at WSI and DS which drove me nuts cause it would delete the ramdisk that I had.

Also from what @Riz mentions seems its only v1 not v3 for the CPU.. If you need extra disk its only $10 for 1TB still comes out cheaper at $47.95 and its 32 GB of RAM

• @FredQc said:

Jumped o. It plus 4tb disk for only 20 a month more. And you get to keep the two in there. It's a no brainbrainier but only 10 instock.

I hope this server ends up good. It'll be a fantastic deal and what I'm looking for.

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2015

The difference is, we're able to depreciate the hardware over say 24 months and make $12 a month more profit than they are. $12 per server adds up. Say they make $3, so we're making $15.

Sorry Steven I had the biggest hang over today and did not have a chance to read your last reply..

Well without fully disclosing your operating cost I don't think it's fair to give someone the impression that the $12 extra you charge will actually be for profit.. It's possible you have a higher operating cost then volumedrive so you need to charge $12 more to offer the same services since your doing things on a smaller scale..

Let's keep in mind that volumedrive owns their own DC and buys servers by the skids not the 20 or so pieces.. and this is reflected in their pricing being so low as they don't have to pay a middleman for BW, Power etc.. Not sure if you own your own DC or you just colo?

I'm just saying, price alone is not a good metric to gauge the quality of a service or product!

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

earl said: I'm just saying, price alone is not a good metric to gauge the quality of a service or product!

but.. 24/7 support?