Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

E3-1230 @ $27.95/mo - Quadix<br>8 GB ECC RAM | 1TB Disk | 1 Gbps Port | 3 x IPv4 | Dedicated IPMI - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

E3-1230 @ $27.95/mo - Quadix<br>8 GB ECC RAM | 1TB Disk | 1 Gbps Port | 3 x IPv4 | Dedicated IPMI

Comments

• That's the model of SYS and Kimsufi... That's the model of VD. Shave off support costs to reduce pricing.

• As everyone always says after the fact - did you read the reviews about quadix and volumedrive before ordering?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Seriously2015 said:
    As everyone always says after the fact - did you read the reviews about quadix and volumedrive before ordering?

Not only the reviews, but volumedrive's history... Those where they ran from a DC and left many unpaid bills! :)

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

I dunno. I've always been happy with QuadIX. I always email Josh before I order to check on the deployment window, and he always gets back to me to let me know whats up. I'm not sure who handles support tickets for them but Josh is quick to answer anytime I've emailed him.

• @MrGeneral said:

Two datacenters, actually.

@Steven_F said:

Indeed.

• Anyways I know why my France one was getting horrible ping and why I can't stream plexus.

The ldn-5-6k.UK.eu hop has over 40% packet loss. It's one hop location causing me issues. And doesn't show often times as if it was taken off.

From my LA server 9 hops including server and gateway hops. Avg 78ms. Will have to try from home again. My fiber network on the university campus gives 88ms to ix.quadix.co

• Back online. They don't know why they had accused me of some abuse.

• andrewnandrewn Member

@Steven_F said:
    That's the model of SYS and Kimsufi... That's the model of VD. Shave off support costs to reduce pricing.

SYS? which provider is that?

• @andrewn said:

SoYouStart.

• Thank you for sharing

Thanked by 1earl
  • andrewnandrewn Member

I don't see $30 servers at SoYouStart hmmm....

• Personally I'd rather order from OVH. The SSDs someone mentioned in this thread are not fit for even personal computing and no idea how old the HDDs are or what brand they are.

OVH generally delivers newish disks, decent (for the money) SSDs and when it breaks I usually get replacement parts same day. I have never had to wait longer.

Thanked by 1Steven_F
  • TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

andrewn said: I don't see $30 servers at SoYouStart hmmm....

he probably was refering to €30

• @MarkTurner said:
    Personally I'd rather order from OVH. The SSDs someone mentioned in this thread are not fit for even personal computing and no idea how old the HDDs are or what brand they are.

OVH generally delivers newish disks, decent (for the money) SSDs and when it breaks I usually get replacement parts same day. I have never had to wait longer.

In the price point only the Kimsufi range and possible a couple from SoYouStart are the same price. Kimsufi usually takes about 5 days to replace a disk, not sure about SoYouStart.

While the SSD may not be excellent I am certain I could speak to them and perhaps check the disk before it goes into my system. I would keep regular backups regardless.

@Steven_F said:
    At a cost of $10 a month per server, if you factor in the cost of space, power, and bandwidth, that leaves $17.95 a month to pay for the server (assuming they had no payment fees). They are making just a few dollars a month after they pay for the hardware lease on these, so, don't expect support to be special.

I didn't expect it to be special but when it comes down to the point that it interrupts your service then I expect semi-quick replies. Your excuse of "Because it's cheap it will be shit" really isn't an excuse at all. I mean take a look at your deals, they're pretty cheap too for your location... Does that mean it's shit or that it has shit support because you offer it for a low price? I'd hope not.

@MrGeneral said:
    Not only the reviews, but volumedrive's history... Those where they ran from a DC and left many unpaid bills! :)

I know about their history and I am afraid of this, hence why I am gathering as much info nearly two months prior to needing them, while also giving one month to trial the service aswell...

Not that I am defending VolumeDrive but Burst.NET was an awful provider anyway, the support was lacking at best. My account got shut down as soon as I cancelled a service because it was awful. I was never given an excuse. I also heard the other side of how they held the servers that were actually owned by VolumeDrive to ransom and thus stealing users data. The CEO then later repeatedly bashed them publicly on WHT... Do you think that's the kind of place you want yours and your customers data hosted? What if you try to leave early on your contract because they just aren't providing the support like they should of been? Would they hold your data to ransom too?

@Steven_F said:

Yes I did hear about another one they did the same thing too as well but I don't know how much of that is the truth as nothing was ever publicly explained about the deals really.

All in all, I am gathering as much info as I can. I know their past and I just want to know more about their operations now. Just because I want something more affordable doesn't mean I want something completely unreliable. I have asked for the information from people who have services and those are the main people I want to hear from... Has the service been stable? Do they answer tickets in a reasonable manner? All these questions are flying through my head. Please allow me and others to gather our information and to make an educated decision. We know it's VolumeDrive so others can look at that companies history too.

@MarkTurner You're the only person who works from a provider who has stated some useful information that is on topic with the questions being asked. Thank you.

IThinkUFailed said: I know about their history and I am afraid of this, hence why I am gathering as much info nearly two months prior to needing them, while also giving one month to trial the service aswell...

Not that I am defending VolumeDrive but Burst.NET was an awful provider anyway, the support was lacking at best. My account got shut down as soon as I cancelled a service because it was awful. I was never given an excuse. I also heard the other side of how they held the servers that were actually owned by VolumeDrive to ransom and thus stealing users data. The CEO then later repeatedly bashed them publicly on WHT... Do you think that's the kind of place you want yours and your customers data hosted? What if you try to leave early on your contract because they just aren't providing the support like they should of been? Would they hold your data to ransom too?

Sure thing, but BurstNET is a whole different story. They used to be HUGE.

I'm always willing to give a second chance to any provider who ensures that they'll improve and do their best to succeed in their second chance. VolumeDrive/QuadIX isn't an exception, though, but their customer support is awful.

The owner is a nice guy, though, they refunded me because they weren't providing a good service at all, and I like his friendly approach. He's a nice guy, but he definitely needs to improve their customer support.

• IThinkUFailedIThinkUFailed Member
    edited May 2015

@MrGeneral said:
    The owner is a nice guy, though, they refunded me because they weren't providing a good service at all, and I like his friendly approach. He's a nice guy, but he definitely needs to improve their customer support.

In all honesty I don't really require customer service too frequently. Only if it's a network or hardware issue in most cases. They have stated they'd be very happy to help me on a few other small tasks as well which was nice. I want to see they've changed.

I had a couple servers and BurstNET was awful for me.

I really just want to gather as much info as I can on how their service is as a whole and what I can expect from them. I don't expect much but I do expect it to work well enough. All I am wanting to do with it is split it into a few VMs for testing work for me and a few others. That's all... It's not going to be put towards use on a business level. I don't do VPS's for a business or webhosting at all actually. It's all a hobby for me - which is why I'm on a budget...

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @IThinkUFailed said:
    Your excuse of "Because it's cheap it will be shit" really isn't an excuse at all.

It sure is. The real world is a brutal place where you get what you pay for. Hardware and staff are not typically pulled out of free clouds of magic fairy dust,

• earlearl Member

@MarkTurner said:
    Personally I'd rather order from OVH.

Why would you buy from OVH when you work for Delimiter? X5150 / L5420 too old for you?

Aside from that OVH is not in the same price point, you must be referring to kimsufi's.. and last I checked Kimsufi's only have one offer that is a 40GB SDD.. Don' think it's a good comparison really.

• tomsfarmtomsfarm Member
    edited May 2015

IThinkUFailed said: I had a couple servers and BurstNET was awful for me.

The provider everyone considered as a budget provider. when in reality they was not apart from cheap Bandwidth and IP Pricing.

Who was dodgy to say the least closing accounts after paying and never contacting you back. or selling DDoS Mitigation that even a basic flood would result in a null route :)

• IThinkUFailedIThinkUFailed Member
    edited May 2015

@Microlinux said:
    It sure is. The real world is a brutal place where you get what you pay for. Hardware and staff are not typically pulled out of free clouds of magic fairy dust,

The hardware is more than likely what VolumeDrive used to use for their vps's. I'm not expecting it to be pulled out of thin air. I am not expecting everything to be done for me... All I expect is that hardware if faulty is investigated and dealt with in a reasonable manner and that the network is reasonably stable... I really don't see how I'm expecting too much with that. You're really not contributing anything to the thread. What about those 1.99 kidechires from Online.net? A lot of people seem to love them... What about Delimiter's L5420's and X5150 boxes that are a reasonable price. People seem pretty happy with them as well...

Again I'm not asking for everything to be handed to me. I'm asking for network and hardware support. This is LowEndTalk... Everything is cheap but that doesn't mean everything is shit.

@clamhost said:
    Who was dodgy to say the least closing accounts after paying and never contacting you back. or selling DDoS Mitigation that even a basic flood would result in a null route :)

I even submitted a ticket that was left unanswered for over three months before being closed.

Thanked by 1tomsfarm
  • earlearl Member
    edited May 2015

@Microlinux said:

Just because it costs more doesn't necessarily mean its better..

If your local shell station charges you more for gas than the shell station on the next block, does not necessarily mean you're getting better gas. It just means you paid more.

• @earl said:
    If your local shell station charges you more for gas than the shell station on the next block does not necessarily mean you're getting better gas. It just means you paid more.

An excellent way to explain it actually... This should be the analogy of LowEndTalk...

Thanked by 1earl
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

IThinkUFailed said: Yes I did hear about another one they did the same thing too as well but I don't know how much of that is the truth as nothing was ever publicly explained about the deals really.

It is on WHT. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1296858&page=22&p=8812171#post8812171

• That's hardly much detail though... I'd like evidence supporting it before I would take a stronger stance on that info tbh.

@IThinkUFailed said:
    I really just want to gather as much info as I can on how their service is as a whole and what I can expect from them. I don't expect much but I do expect it to work well enough. All I am wanting to do with it is split it into a few VMs for testing work for me and a few others. That's all... It's not going to be put towards use on a business level. I don't do VPS's for a business or webhosting at all actually. It's all a hobby for me - which is why I'm on a budget...

I totally agree with your comment! :-)

• earl said: Why would you buy from OVH when you work for Delimiter? X5150 / L5420 too old for you?

No I have servers in many of Yomura's datacentres; but for private projects I don't want them in company datacentres.

• @MarkTurner said:

Seedboxes :p.

I've read through it and there isn't any proof from either side. Companies are complaining but if they had ground I. Sure we would haveheard of lawsuits by now.

• earlearl Member

@MarkTurner said:
    No I have servers in many of Yomura's datacentres; but for private projects I don't want them in company datacentres.

Ah.. ok, I was under the impression there was something lacking in Delimiters services that you had to seek else where. But good you cleared that up.

• cmsjr123 said: Seedboxes :p.

I never said that ;)