Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

wildcard ssl for multiple server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

wildcard ssl for multiple server?

SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
edited April 2015 in Help

Hi, I have domain which operates on several servers with subdomains like:
server1.domain.com
server2.domain.com
server3.domain.com
server4.domain.com
server5.domain.com

Now I want all of them to have SSL protection, so can we use single wildcard ssl cert for securing subdomains spawning over multiple physical servers ?

Comments

• Yes you can.

You can install the same cert on different servers that host different sub domains.

• https://buy.wosign.com/free/ - 100 domains in 1 crt

Thanked by 1spidervenom
  • SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

And what are those multidomain certs ?

• wychwych Member
    edited April 2015

Saahib said: use single wildcard ssl cert for securing subdomains spawning over multiple physical servers ?

Correct.

@Saahib said:
    And what are those multidomain certs ?

server1.domain.com | server1.domain.net

or

server1.domainA.com | server1.domainB.com

Depending on the cert in question.

• There are 2 SSL certificate available which can fulfill your security needs.

(1) Comodo PositiveSSL Wildcard Certificate - It will let you to secure your website along with unlimited number of sub-domains. means a single SSL certificate can secure all your sub-domains. It can secure (domain.com, server1.domain.com, server2.domain.com, server3.domain.com, servern.domain.com).

Note: Comodo PositiveSSL certificate can only secure unlimited sub-domains with same host name. For different host name you need to get another certificate.

(2) Comodo Positive Multi Domain Wildcard Certificate - It will let you to secure your primary host name along with 100 fully qualified domain names and their unlimited number of sub-domains. For Example (domain.com, domain.net, server1.domina.com, server2.domain.net, server3.domain5.com, etc...),

If you select CheapSSLSecurity.com (Platinum Partner Company of Comodo) to buy SSL certificate, you can get Comodo PositiveSSL Wildcard Certificate at only $60/year & Comodo Positive Multi Domain Wildcard Certificate at only $149.00/Year.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited May 2015
  • dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited May 2015

@alice2k said:
    https://buy.wosign.com/free/ - 100 domains in 1 crt

That's been broken for a lot of today, either 507 error or just an Nginx error, guess they can't handle the load.

Edit: Managed to apply for a couple certificates, although I cannot sign-in to the "My Account" area even after resetting the password. I just get an error message which sadly is a browser prompt so translate doesn't work on it.

• dj1812dj1812 Member
    edited May 2015

AS per your requirements, you should go with wildcard ssl certificate that can secure your all sub-domains which are created under the same domain name. With wildcard ssl you can secure main domain.com and its unlimited numbers of sub-domains server1.domain.com server2.domain.com server3.domain.com server4.domain.com server5.domain.com. Refer this link for more information and 42$ wildcard ssl - http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/539962-wildcard-ssl-for-42-year