Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a cheap Dell server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a cheap Dell server

andrewnandrewn Member
edited April 2015 in Requests

Hey,

I'm looking for a cheap dell server preferably in the EU but US is also ok.

Specifications:

DELL
2x1TB HDD in RAID
8GB RAM
KVM IPMI
1 IP

$20 or less per month.

NO onlinet.net, server4you etc...

Thanks

Comments

• Why Dell?

I just posted an offer for an HP blade, but it only has 500GB disk:

• 2 x Quad L5420 Xeon
    • 8GB RAM
    • 500GB Disk
    • 1 IPv4
    • Gigabit port
    • Dedicated KVM (HP Lights Out) with full graphical KVM, virtual media
    • Dedicated Power control (power on/off/reset as required)
    • 5TB Bandwidth
    • OS: Centos, Ubuntu, Scientific Linux, Fedora, Debian, FreeBSD, etc
    • Unmanaged

$20/month paid monthly

Coupon 2Z9KX4KD8G

https://clients.delimitervps.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=160

• @andrewn Processor: 2 x Intel Xeon 5150; RAM: 8 GB DDR3; Hard Disk 1: 500 GB SATA II; Monthly Bandwidth: 20 TB; Dedicated IPv4 Address: 5 IPv4 (/29); just at $39/month with 24/7/365 support providing centers. https://www.temok.com/special-deals.htm Set up fee will be waived off and a discount voucher will be issued to you. let me know if you are interested.

• @johnfinch: is that in dell chassis?

• @MarkTuner: is it DELL?

• @andrewn - No as specified its an HP blade. However most people are not to worried about the brand. Dell is just another way of saying cheap.

But now that you want 2 x 1TB for $20/month then you need to be looking at Online/OVH who you have said you don't want.

• @MarkTuner: can you provide a DELL server with the same specifications?

• @andrewn - We dont have any Dell equipment. HP has been a lot more reliable for us.

• Why dell? The idrac is shit and the mainboard is 100% the same design as in a HP or IBM box anyway...

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@William said:
    Why dell? The idrac is shit and the mainboard is 100% the same design as in a HP or IBM box anyway...

+1 for that you'll fine Dell useful on higher grade service like a cluster more than a small dedi where HP with its ILO is more useful.

• William said: the mainboard is 100% the same design

Actually the Dells I have had the (mis)fortune to see used discontinued Tyan boards, every system had different brand/model hard disks. And lets not forget the IPMI vulnerabilities which still plague the DRAC.

Unfortunately under HP's new 'leadership' they have decided to launch a cheap and nasty version of their products with third party boards, third party cases which are equally useless.

@BharatB - Dell is cheap for a reason, they have almost no quality control, their products are badly designed, no supply chain continuity. I have a friend that works at a french hosting company that uses Dell, we often compare failure rates and I can tell you their failure rate is substantially higher than HP. Also from a post-lease perspective, HP's residual value is substantially higher.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@MarkTurner said:

Theres one reason people think dell rocks ( design outside ) I mean look at hp vs dell , in terms of casing dell looks like a army gear hp looks like ripped clothes but those who use it know the difference :D

• HP is however also 10%+ more expensive. SuperMicro is often the cheapest option (IPMI sucks), followed by Dell (Drac sucks), followed by IBM (Whatever they have sucks also), followed by HP (ILO 4 is actually rather okish) (Based on their Dual E5 offers, in E3 the pricing is more or less the same)

• hotsnowhotsnow Veteran
    edited April 2015

@MarkTurner the bandwidth is 10T or 5T? thanks.

on your whmcs, it said 10T...

- 2 x Quad L5420 Xeon

- 8GB RAM

- 500GB Disk

- 1 IPv4

- Gigabit port

- Dedicated KVM (HP Lights Out) with full graphical KVM, virtual media

- Dedicated Power control (power on/off/reset as required)

- 10TB Bandwidth

- Unmanaged

and, can we request /64 ipv6 subnet with this server?

• so guys nobody offer Dell servers here? thats a shame:(

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@andrewn said:
    so guys nobody offer Dell servers here? thats a shame:(

Why do you want a dell server? We have some dell hardware , however you would need to double your budget.

• @andrewn said:
    so guys nobody offer Dell servers here? thats a shame:(

Lots do - just not for those prices :)

• @AlexanderM whats the best you can do?