Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Source hosting: VPS or Dedi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Open Source hosting: VPS or Dedi

Hi,
I'm the webmaster of http://goo.gl/uLsk4W , an open source project.
Due to the fact that I don't earn anything from this website, I can't/don't want to buy expensive hosting, but since we're offering storage space to our members I'm going to run out of space on my shared account. I've been looking to either a dedi or vps with at least 1TB HDD and 1GB of RAM. However, Dedicated servers are way to expensive (except for Kimsufi) and vps's don't have this much storage space most of the time.
Like I said, Kimsufi would be awesome, and I almost got a KS-1 server, but then I was too slow while I was ordering I think, got a 500 server error (probably because someone was faster) and lost my server :/
I've been doubting about the KS-2 server because the processor is a lottery and I want at least the N2800...
So I'm actually looking for a server (vps or dedi) with a lot of storage and bandwidth. Again, since it's an open source, non profit project, I can't really spend to much...

A little note to providers: I can add an image/banner to your hosting website if you can help us out for free or just a couple of bucks. Something like OVH is on the OpenTTD website. You won't get a lot of customers from our website, but think about it as an act of charity :-)

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I think you're going to struggle getting 1TB cheap anywhere mate.

Maybe you could consider charging your members for disk space?

• Dreamhost = unlimited everything! I'm not recommending them, I'm just pointing out you can stay with Shared with some of the unbelievable unlimited plans.

• What kind of storage space do you need to offer users? For save games?
    Is it that heavy?

• andreicandreic Member
    edited April 2015

I can do the following on my personal server:
    openVZ/KVM with 1 proc / 1GB RAM / 250 GB for HDD 15 $ / month or
    KVM with 2 proc / 1 GB RAM / 500 GB HDD - 25 $ / month,
    one IPV4, no IPV6, RAID 1.
    And if you don't need dedicated IP, just NAT you can take $5 out.

Virtualization it's under Proxmox.

Edit: On openVZ you will get 1 CPU 100% time.

• @Nekki said:
    I think you're going to struggle getting 1TB cheap anywhere mate.

Maybe you could consider charging your members for disk space?

I will not do that. I can't believe anyone is going to pay for our service...

@nitro85 said:
    What kind of storage space do you need to offer users? For save games?
    Is it that heavy?

1 savegame? No... But a savegame is between 1 and 5 MB, at the moment we've got an average of 25 saved games per user who uses the service. It isn't that bad at the moment, but savegames will become bigger once development is finished (mods and custom objects will be embedded) and I'd also like to be future proof.

@rajprakash said:
    Dreamhost = unlimited everything! I'm not recommending them, I'm just pointing out you can stay with Shared with some of the unbelievable unlimited plans.

Hmm... Maybe, but I don't really believe the unlimited plans... They always teached me that nothing in life is free, but I don't believe either that nothing in life is unlimited :p

@andreic said:

Thanks for the offer, I'll think about it.

• Please note that this is my personal dedicated from online. I have free resources on it and in this way I made the offer. By the way if you want NAT you will have reverse proxy with nginx for your website.

• This maybe suitable:

Dual X5150, 16GB RAM, 500GB disk, 1 IPv4, /64 IPv6, 5TB Gigabit, dedicated ILO/KVM - $20/month

http://www.delimiter.com/landingpage/servers2015/?p=X515016500

• @runelaenen said:
    1 savegame? No... But a savegame is between 1 and 5 MB, at the moment we've got an average of 25 saved games per user who uses the service. It isn't that bad at the moment, but savegames will become bigger once development is finished (mods and custom objects will be embedded) and I'd also like to be future proof.

You can use a VPS/Dedi

Or you can rely on some 3rd party service, maybe a filehost with premium like Mediafire (1Tb, 2.50$ month)
    And use their Upload/download API or make a modification on Rapidleech script instead of relying on a filehost API

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • nitro85 said: use their Upload/download API

Good idea - maybe better with an S3 service. The S3 interface is well documented and allows a wide choice of providers.

• Hmm... I might look into that.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Have you tried compressing the files?

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited April 2015

For uber cheap, perhaps a tiny vps with Google Drive via fuse? Never done it though, so someone who has may want to chime in :)

• @deadbeef said:
    For uber cheap, perhaps a tiny vps with Google Drive via fuse? Never done it though, so someone who has may want to chime in :)

I have already tried this (locally on my own pc, but I think a small vps will act the same way) but it's really to slow to use in a production environment.

@4n0nx said:
    Have you tried compressing the files?

Nope, I could indeed try that...

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

How much bandwidth would you consider 'a lot'?

• Processor: 2 x Intel Xeon 5150; RAM: 8 GB DDR3; Hard Disk 1: 500 GB SATA II; Monthly Bandwidth: 20 TB; Dedicated IPv4 Address: 5 IPv4 (/29); just at $39/month. https://www.temok.com/special-deals.htm
    Set up fee would be waived off and IPv6 could be provided. If you don't want to compromise over quality then let me know if you are interested.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I want everyone who spammed this thread banned from posting offers, please mod gods make this happen :-)

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

runelaenen said: Nope, I could indeed try that...

That might be an easy solution then. Simply add some code on client side to gzip/bzip/7z/whatever the files before uploading them and to unpack them when downloading.

• I think @nitro85 had the right idea here as far as keeping costs low:

You can use a VPS/Dedi

Or you can rely on some 3rd party service, maybe a filehost with premium like Mediafire (1Tb, 2.50$ month) And use their Upload/download API or make a modification on Rapidleech script instead of relying on a filehost API