Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for 2 VPS, Xen/KVM preferable.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for 2 VPS, Xen/KVM preferable.

MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Hello,

I'm looking for two reliable Xen or KVM VPS, OpenVZ can be considered as well, folks. These will be our rDNS servers, therefore they must be stable.

What providers would you recommend?

Specs needed:
512MB Ram
1 Core
20GB HDD
300GB Bandwidth

Thank you,
Miguel

Comments

• you have been around for a few years, you know what is good around here and what isnt.

Thanked by 3MikePT rm_ fitvpn
  • JonchunJonchun Member
    edited April 2015

I recommend 1 ovhovh vps, 1 RamNode (ddos filtered)

Those are generally my go tos for DNS servers. Affordable and generally reliable.

I'd say buyvm as well, although I haven't used my buyvm box much

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@JoeMerit said:
    you have been around for a few years, you know what is good around here and what isnt.

Sure thing, but I'd love to hear first hand experience! I've used many providers, for sure, however, I'd like to hear opinions! :-)

@Jonchun said:
    I recommend 1 ovhovh vps, 1 RamNode (ddos filtered)

Those are generally my go tos for DNS servers. Affordable and generally reliable.

I'd say buyvm as well, although I haven't used my buyvm box much

Definitely sounds good, I'm considering to order two VPS from RunAbove! :)

I've decided to go with RunAbove and evoBurst.

Thank you for your help folks!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

BuyVM and RamNode. If you like having the problem of forgetting who your provider is because things just run so well that you only log in to pay the bill and run updates, there you go.

Thanked by 2MikePT Nick_A

@Jar said:
    BuyVM and RamNode. If you like having the problem of forgetting who your provider is because things just run so well that you only log in to pay the bill and run updates, there you go.

Definitely! I already own a BuyVM box (followed your advice and moved our website to BuyVM which has been running flawlessly).

As for RamNode, it's also a pretty good option. Thank you @Jar!

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited April 2015

I saw you've already decided, but I'd use RunAbove+BuyVM+RamNode. The combination of all 3 looks perfect for what you're willing to do.

Thanked by 2MikePT Nick_A
  • earlearl Member

fliphost.net and ipxcore.com.. i mainly used their ovz but they've been excellent.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • If I can do a bit of "self"-promotion, if you ever find yourself in trouble needing a server, give us a call on drServer.net and we will try to do something for you.

But awesome choices, you will not regret on that, at least from my experience.

Thanked by 1MikePT

@Traffic said:
    I saw you've already decided, but I'd use RunAbove+BuyVM+RamNode. The combination of all 3 looks perfect for what you're willing to do.

Hello Traffic,

Indeed, seems to be the way to go, I'm getting a few instances. Thank you! :-)

@earl said:
    fliphost.net and ipxcore.com.. i mainly used their ovz but they've been excellent.

Will consider, thank you!

@Gadelhas said:
    If I can do a bit of "self"-promotion, if you ever find yourself in trouble needing a server, give us a call on drServer.net and we will try to do something for you.

But awesome choices, you will not regret on that, at least from my experience.

I've already been contacted by drServer, and I got a few active services there, I will consider it :-).

Thanked by 1Gadelhas
  • earlearl Member

The thing with runabove is that is uses dhcp and there is always the possiblity of you losing that ip..

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Just play innocent.. :)

@earl said:
    The thing with runabove is that is uses dhcp and there is always the possiblity of you losing that ip..

Yes that's a problem, I'll investigate :P

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

earl said: The thing with runabove is that is uses dhcp and there is always the possiblity of you losing that ip..

Hm, are you sure about that? Usually it's DHCP with static allocation, so DHCP server always returns same result unless you delete the instance.

• earlearl Member

@perennate said:
    Hm, are you sure about that? Usually it's DHCP with static allocation, so DHCP server always returns same result unless you delete the instance.

yes it returns the same ip after a reboot.. you loose the ip if you reinstall instead of recreate.. sorry should have made that more clear.. I pointed it out that its dhcp cause there maybe the possibilty of you loosing that ip not that its happened yet.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • cassacassa Member

I'm having an outstanding experience with @drserver

Thanked by 3MikePT Brad Gadelhas
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2015

By the way, why do you need so much RAM on a rDNS server? I'm assuming you've got a PowerDNS+MySQL replication setup. I run my primary one on an iwStack VM and a secondary on a RamNode NL and the RamNode is sitting at 23MB without any optimisation tweaks or maybe a bit of MySQL tweaking but not to a large degree.

@Infinity said:
    By the way, why do you need so much RAM on a rDNS server? I'm assuming you've got a PowerDNS+MySQL replication setup. I run my primary one on an iwStack VM and a secondary on a RamNode NL and the RamNode is sitting at 23MB without any optimisation tweaks or maybe a bit of MySQL tweaking but not to a large degree.

Hello,

I've already setup it and indeed, it doesn't consume much! :-)

• @Infinity your image doesn't load

This discussion has been closed.