Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debian 8.0 Jessie has been released
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Debian 8.0 Jessie has been released

NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Debian Jessie is finally considered stable:
https://bits.debian.org/2015/04/jessie-released.html

So... how are those upgrades going with systemd?

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog

Comments

• Awesome. Time to check it out.

• earlearl Member

Just trying it out now, seems they removed a lot of options from the install but added more choices for desktop..

• It's still not acting nice with OpenVZ, right?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited April 2015

introducial said: It's still not acting nice with OpenVZ, right?

systemd doesn't work, but I just did a dist-upgrade on a container and everything else seems to be working as it should, so no biggie.

Thanked by 2linuxthefish berkay
  • earlearl Member

Trying out Cinnamon, looks pretty nice..

• sinsin Member

Been using it for awhile on almost all of my servers, works great.

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited April 2015

Nyr said: systemd doesn't work, but I just did a dist-upgrade on a container and everything else seems to be working as it should, so no biggie.

echo 'debian-8  3.16.6' >> /etc/vz/osrelease.conf

I think that's the fix, although don't quote me, I've not had a chance to test.

But yeah, I've been in testing for a long-ass time. 8 is nice, especially with cinnamon.

@earl Your task bar is on the wrong side. It should be on top, and hidden.

Thanked by 1Nyr
  • Can't install using dual boot with windows 8, :(

• earlearl Member

@Rallias said:
    earl Your task bar is on the wrong side. It should be on top, and hidden.

Maybe there's already one up there.. it's just hidden :p

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited April 2015

Benefit of Debian 8 being released.

Testing repo's thawing. I can finally get a working OpenGL impl.

• After some issues I got a stable container in Proxmox upgraded from the official Debian 7 minimal template.

If you avoid the systemd stuff (apt pinning), and try to keep upstart (bloated, but well... it works) and sysvinit-utils, it will work.

Thanked by 1lainme
  • berkayberkay Member
    edited April 2015

What @yomero said is described here: http://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/How_to_stay_with_sysvinit_in_Debian_Jessie.html

Trying it right now on a OVZ container, not sure if it works or not.

Yes, it works.

Thanked by 1lainme
  • @Jazzy8999 said:
    Can't install using dual boot with windows 8, :(

Put it in a VHD (via vmware or something) then boot the VHD! normally

• I'm still in love with you Wheezy.

• Better change your sources list if you have "stable" as your wheezy will try to update to jessie

Thanked by 1rm_
  • No wonder libc6 wouldn't install as I had "stable" put, I changed to "wheezy", did a new apt-get update, then the software finally installed.

• Being a noob, I was wondering if I should update all Wheezy servers to Jessie, even production? Or should I wait some period of time before using it in production?

• @drazilox i'd say wait at least a few months. Wheezy is still supported, there is no urgent need to upgrade.

Thanked by 1drazilox
  • Nyr said: systemd doesn't work, but I just did a dist-upgrade on a container and everything else seems to be working as it should, so no biggie.

It's not a bug, it's a feature. When upgrading from Wheezy you will keep SysV.

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited April 2015

I've been using Debian 13 years since 2002 with Debian 3.0 "woody"

Edit: it was actually 1998 with 2.0 "hamm" but I found it hard to use and experimented with Linux Mandrake, CentOS, etc. due to Winmodem compatibility issues. Woody had the best support when it was released.

There's no urgent need to upgrade but nothing will break as they maintain their packages and do a lot of testing.

(Fun Debian trivia, most of the naming comes from the movie Toy Story and Debian was named after Ian marrying his wife who divorced)

• @earl said:
    Trying out Cinnamon, looks pretty nice..

Wow that is nice

Thanked by 1earl
  • Is there someone who tried to update a Kidechiré to Jessie?

• ahmiqahmiq Member

Can someone also please share how to do the upgrade from wheezy to jessie? have to edit the sourcelists and apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

?

• ahmiq said: apt-get upgrade

make that "apt-get dist-upgrade"

Thanked by 1ahmiq
  • ahmiqahmiq Member
    edited April 2015

@rds100 said:

thanks

• sinsin Member

@drazilox said:
    Being a noob, I was wondering if I should update all Wheezy servers to Jessie, even production? Or should I wait some period of time before using it in production?

I upgraded my production stuff about 1 1/2 months ago and it went smooth as butter and I really love Debian Jessie but if you don't really have any reason to upgrade or just don't want to then you're fine on Wheezy for awhile.

Thanked by 1drazilox
  • Normal support should be available until April 2016 and then you still have LTS for a while. At least that used to be.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@chrisp said:
    It's not a bug, it's a feature. When upgrading from Wheezy you will keep SysV.

No, it will switch to systemd if not forced to do otherwise via pinning or similar.

And if systemd doesn't work in your environment (OoenVZ), not even the network will get up, so you better have a console to revert.

@pbalazs123 said:
    Is there someone who tried to update a Kidechiré to Jessie?

Yes, all fine on a pretty simple setup.

• NomadNomad Member

My SC Gen2 (Kidechires for most) upgraded without any problems as well. But since most software doesn't support it yet I reverted back to Wheezy.

• introducial said: What @yomero said is described here: http://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/How_to_stay_with_sysvinit_in_Debian_Jessie.html

Trying it right now on a OVZ container, not sure if it works or not.

Yes, it works.

Yep, if your template is sysv based. The official one is upstart based, and to be honest I tried that approach, but I messed things up, so I went back to upstart. Even I break the "vzctl enter" command, so probably someone trying this wouldn't be able to use the serial console and would need to reinstall =/

I will try again, and also again in a sysv based I like the vpsdime minimal templates btw, but I don't know why they took them down.