Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Billing Software: OpenBill - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New Billing Software: OpenBill

Comments

• Put them in dollars!!!! errrrr

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

If @jhadley is in the UK and gets money in his bank in GBP then it would make sense to price it in GBP.

Monthly - $9.68
    Yearly - $95.22
    Owned - $159.78
    Developer - $321.17

Those are approximate conversions.

Thanked by 1jh
  • @Infinity Your bank actually has the best currency conversion.

• What's that Developer version actually?? If you give the full opensource code for the license fee what's the point in that dev version??

As for the features, when you said "Harvest alternative" - as i didn't know the app before seeing your post - what interested me the most is the time tracking feature.

• @corehosting said: What's that Developer version actually?? If you give the full opensource code for the license fee what's the point in that dev version??

The developer version is to include source code, the others are not.

@corehosting said: As for the features, when you said "Harvest alternative" - as i didn't know the app before seeing your post - what interested me the most is the time tracking feature.

I don't actually use those and haven't really looked at them since I signed up to Harvest - I just keep a rough estimate of time taken and invoice accordingly. If you do things differently, I want to know more so I can build in suitable functionality for you. Could you please let me know what would work best for you to help you track your time?

Thanked by 1imagine
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@jhadley
    Is this some reverse auction on something that as of today is not available?

Havent watched the video (yet?) so I have no idea of the features vailable but I will keep this in mind and see if its still available in a year or so...

You also bring up that one of the reasons you do your own is that you dont see the source code. Yet you are thinking of encrypt/encode your own?

Perhaps as a selling point to get customers, you would let the first X amount of customers X % discount for life. This way word of mouth would get around and hopefully you will get positive feedback on your project. Which will bring in more sales.

• I definitely won't ever buy something under any NDA, that's for sure. I'm only interested if the code is open-source.

Keeping track of time spent when working on multiple projects at the same time can quickly become a hassle. Something simple on a page with a "project" list and a start/stop button should do it without going too far in the project management ;)

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Pricing seems good to me

Thanked by 1jh
  • Dangit, beat me to it. :P

Oh well, I can always make ScripteeBill a web-based POS for retail stores. :P

• @MikHo said: Is this some reverse auction on something that as of today is not available?

No, it's just gathering some feedback.

@MikHo said: You also bring up that one of the reasons you do your own is that you dont see the source code. Yet you are thinking of encrypt/encode your own?

It's possible - I haven't reached a decision yet. Honestly if there was an option for me to buy something like this for £99 or source code for £199 I'd buy it and be happy. What bugs me the most with Harvest etc. is how reliant you become on them and how they lock you in.

@MikHo said: Perhaps as a selling point to get customers, you would let the first X amount of customers X % discount for life. This way word of mouth would get around and hopefully you will get positive feedback on your project. Which will bring in more sales.

Already thinking about that :)

@corehosting said: I definitely won't ever buy something under any NDA, that's for sure. I'm only interested if the code is open-source.

Ok, thank you. Do you think £199 is ok for a full version, with source, support and upgrades, just covered by a standard EULA?

@corehosting said: Keeping track of time spent when working on multiple projects at the same time can quickly become a hassle. Something simple on a page with a "project" list and a start/stop button should do it without going too far in the project management ;)

Thank you - it's on my list.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Jacob said: @Infinity Your bank actually has the best currency conversion.

Wait, how do you know what bank I'm with. Those figures were from an exchange site. I'm with Natwest (I think I might've told you before).

• @jhadley said: Ok, thank you. Do you think £199 is ok for a full version, with source, support and upgrades, just covered by a standard EULA?

For me - and i'm really only talking for me - it's a bit much. When i read EULA i don't read Opensource... Am i wrong?

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@Infinity I think he meant that if you contacted your bank you would most likely get the best conversion number. Not you bank specifically, just a bank in general.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • jhjh Member
    edited September 2012

@corehosting said: For me - and i'm really only talking for me - it's a bit much. When i read EULA i don't read Opensource... Am i wrong?

The pricing is based on thinking a bit bigger than the product is at the moment and I understand that, so there will likely be a decent discount for early adopters which should take it down a bit.

@corehosting said: When i read EULA i don't read Opensource... Am i wrong?

My understanding is open source means you get the source code - it doesn't necessarily mean a GPL licence.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@jhadley said: £99 with full source code.

and how about some love for us? Like, instead of pounds, use dollars :)

• @jhadley said: My understanding is open source means you get the source code - it doesn't necessarily mean a GPL licence

Well GPL is pretty restrictive anyway, but one thing is sure, if code can't be redistributed, it's not opensource.

btw, is there a way to change language? or it is hard-coded? (meaning that I can translate on a file? )

• jhjh Member
    edited September 2012

@corehosting said: Well GPL is pretty restrictive anyway, but one thing is sure, if code can't be redistributed, it's not opensource.

This won't be redistributable - with the feedback I'm getting I'm thinking about dedicating some serious time to the continuation of its development and supporting it, and that time will have to be paid for ;)

@netomx said: and how about some love for us? Like, instead of pounds, use dollars :)

Here is the latest is $:

Monthly - $9.68
    Yearly - $95.22
    Owned - $159.78
    Developer - $321.17

(With an early adopter discount)

@netomx said: btw, is there a way to change language? or it is hard-coded? (meaning that I can translate on a file? )

At the moment it's hard coded, but language files are also on my list of things to do. Would you like translation for the client side or admin side as well? How about if for the client side you could specify ?language=english ?

• @jhadley said: with the feedback I'm getting I'm thinking about dedicating some serious time to the continuation of its development, and that time will have to be paid for ;)

That's why paid support and custom dev is for :)

• @corehosting said: That's why paid support and custom dev is for :)

I see where you're coming from but I don't think I'll be doing that I'm afraid. For one thing there's nothing to stop someone else distributing my product, and undercutting me on support and custom dev. Also, I'm looking to build a single, great product, not bits and pieces here and there :)

• @jhadley said: nothing to stop someone else distributing my product, and undercutting me on support and custom dev

That's exactly the opensource principle ;)
    If you plan on having a less feature version opensourced, leave me a PM

• @corehosting Why do you think that whmcs, clientexec, whmautopilot are not opensource?

One reason, they are protecting there code base. Yes there are people who can decode things like ioncube, but it is about keeping honest people honest. And leaving himself a bone to chew on down the road.

@jhadley said: Would you like translation for the client side or admin side as well? How about if for the client side you could specify ?language=english ?

maybe everything. I might be interested, to send invoices to my clients, but in Mexico, they are adopting invoices with certificates, so I will need to code that in your system.

@jhadley said: Owned - $159.78

it's getting higher :( hahaha

• jhjh Member
    edited September 2012

@netomx said: it's getting higher :( hahaha

As I said, I'm thinking about taking this seriously and putting some serious time into development. Also there will be early adopter discounts.

• @netomx that is the US price in dollars! it is £90

• I like the fact that my pricing model got adapted.

Thanked by 1jh
  • jhjh Member
    edited September 2012

@liam said: @jhadley please don't host the master files at hostgator, thanks.

LOL no, my host is more professional than that ;)

Tax has now been added, at any rate you like @liamwithers

@24khost said: @netomx that is the US price in dollars! it is £90

I know :( but remove VAT please =P

• @netomx said: I know :( but remove VAT please =P

I'm not VAT registered and don't charge VAT :)

• Buting58Buting58 Member
    edited September 2012

@jhadley said: The pricing is based on thinking a bit bigger than the product is at the moment and I understand that, so there will likely be a decent discount for early adopters which should take it down a bit.

I like the sound of that. If the early adopter discount is decent enough, I would love to give OpenBill a try. With the normal pricing that you've listed, I would hold off and see how things progress before considering.

edit: +1 for a ticket system!!