Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Colocation question for Bitcoin Mining
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Colocation question for Bitcoin Mining

I am curious how colocation works for bitcoin ASICs. Do we ship the datacenter the miner and they take of it for us? Do we actually have to go to the datacenter? Also, what is the cheapest option?

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I don't think many datacenters will colocate them, since they are potential fire hazards.

raindog308 said: Why do you need to put your miner in a datacenter?

Because power is cheaper.

• Don't know what your budget is but we have a data center here in Las Vagas that will allow Bitcoin miners. i can get you the info if you want it. PM me

• @standardlook - It would help every colo provider to know what the Amperage of your ASIC miner is. Or at least the model so we can search ourselves :)

• Ain't iceland very cheap when it comes to power and not bw making it ideal?

• And rig can heat you in the cold :D

• @cncking2000 said:
    standardlook - It would help every colo provider to know what the Amperage of your ASIC miner is. Or at least the model so we can search ourselves :)

Bitmain Antminer S5.

• @standardlook - depending on where you are located and buying the unit will depend on where best to colo it. You are not network bound but any decent datacentre is going to expect that unit properly housed; some will also want to ensure its UL certified or similar for insurance purposes.

Are you sure this will generate enough coinage to cover its costs?

• Antminer S5 doesn't seem to break even in year 1:

https://tradeblock.com/mining/a/qoj2P37LAADfSBYeGkKWa8

• @standardlook

If you're looking for CoinTerra miners let me know I can get used ones pretty cheap.

Also, I don't believe a DC will colocate an ASIC miner just because of the shape of it, it isn't really something you can put in a rack without a shelf of some sort. However your best bet would be to find someone who has a rack that'll let you drop it in it and just get a shelf to screw in one of the U's.

Thanked by 1standardlook
  • standardlookstandardlook Member
    edited April 2015

@MarkTurner said:
    standardlook - depending on where you are located and buying the unit will depend on where best to colo it. You are not network bound but any decent datacentre is going to expect that unit properly housed; some will also want to ensure its UL certified or similar for insurance purposes.

Are you sure this will generate enough coinage to cover its costs?

The truth is I don't know at the moment. Trying to balance the costs right now. I am trying to find the cheapest DC. Are there any coloing services without having to travel there? A plane ticket would instantly destroy the ROI for the miner.

• Some DCs do shelves / bread racks. Doesn't hurt to open up a sales ticket with the DC.

If a hosting provider does desktop hardware, they'll have shelves/bread racks.

• Depending on amps are you better off getting a 7AH battery and 45W solar panel at home?

• i sent him your email he should get back to you.

• @standardlook - there are plenty of colo providers who'll receive the goods and rack it for you. BUT looking at the long term prospects on that unit cost + power, it doesn't look like it will pay for itself for 18-24 months.

Also do consider that you'll need to enclose that unit. Its a bare chassis and needs a separate PSU. So you'll need to plan an enclosure for it which will put up the cost again.

Depending on where you live, I'd just stick it in your basement and be done with it.

• KBVEKBVE Member

You would have to find someone that has really cheap electricity rates , or you will end up going into the negative if your electricity cost is just too high :S

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited April 2015

You can't compete against the Chinese Bitcoin factories/mines. Check out VICE or VICE News' report on the Chinese Bitcoin mines. $70,000 USD/mo power bill.

• I thought that the bitcoin mining fever was already dead because of the always exponentially increasing difficulty to crack bitcoin block hashes

Is it still profitable even with these ASIC hardware?

• @standardlook said:
    The truth is I don't know at the moment. Trying to balance the costs right now. I am trying to find the cheapest DC. Are there any coloing services without having to travel there? A plane ticket would instantly destroy the ROI for the miner.

you will find that most DC let you ship your server to them and they will rack and stack for free. at least the Data Centers i use all do that.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

What location are you looking for? Europe? USA?

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited April 2015

standardlook said: Bitmain Antminer S5.

600 watts so 2.7 amps at 220v, and 5 at 120v.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Somebody gave my a kncminer machine that just connects to a regular atx power supply. I set it up and have been running it for about a week now. Its simply not worth the power! It does about 400-500 GH/s and uses about 500w power.

• standardlookstandardlook Member
    edited April 2015

@Clouvider said:
    What location are you looking for? Europe? USA?

Any location as long as they can set it up for me.

Also, this would be around 10 miners.

• @standardlook said:
    Also, this would be around 10 miners.

>

Shipping could easily be a grand for that many. Surely location would matter. lol

Thanked by 1standardlook
  • I don't think it's worth mining bitcoins right now, it would take over a year to get hardware costs back and who knows where the market will be then.

• We offer colocation for Bitcoin mining, just send us a message

Thanked by 1standardlook
  • Same on offering colo. Just poke me.

Thanked by 1standardlook
  • @Ole_Juul said:

You are right. My preferred location is the US, but other countries might be fine.

• @linuxthefish said:
    I don't think it's worth mining bitcoins right now, it would take over a year to get hardware costs back and who knows where the market will be then.

I mine other Sha-256 coins also.