Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you ever feel guilty about cancelling a VPS you don't need? (Also kind of a Ramnode review)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you ever feel guilty about cancelling a VPS you don't need? (Also kind of a Ramnode review)

NekkiNekki Veteran
edited April 2015 in General

Maybe it's because I'm getting soft and sentimental in my old age, but sometimes I feel guilty about cancelling a VPS I no longer need, one such case in point is my current Ramnode plan - a 128MB SSDv2 plan in Atlanta.

It's been the perfect VPS. When I originally purchased the plan, I set up and configured Munin and Nagios on it, decided to stick with Munin and then that's basically it; it's been happily sitting there monitoring servers ever since. I've raised exactly one ticket in 2 years, which was to request a migration to Atlanta from Seattle. That was responded to, resolved and closed in 45 minutes.

Despite at one point monitoring around 20 sites, it remained responsive and the Munin graphs always loaded very quickly. I've been consistently utilising about 20-25% of my allocated CPU core, all my guaranteed RAM plus about 20MB of VSwap with no complaints from the provider. Downtime has been limited to reboots for kernel upgrades that were advised in advance.

Simply put, the VPS has been faultless in every way, but having moved away from having a shedload of VPS to just a handful of dedicated servers, I simply don't need this level of monitoring anymore; I've got capacity to spare on all my servers, so I really just need to keep an eye on uptime.

Which is all really a long-winded way of asking; do you keep hold of VPS or servers you no longer need simply because they've served you well in the past?

Comments

• vldvld Member

+1 Ramnode, still the best provider.

Thanked by 2desperand Nick_A
  • SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

Ive felt that way before with a VPS server.

You feel guilty because the host provided the best services and support they possibly could have, and you still end up leaving them.

I say its okay to let the VPS go if you no longer need it. The host did their job already and you had the experience.

@vld said:

Yes, Ive never heard a single bad thing about Ramnode. They live up to their reputation.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • I say cancel it and buy a 256mb one

• @vld said:

I think in Ramnode Guys like @Nick_A @Chris and their team put their soul and heart into what they do And I hope Ramnode should one day create a service like DO(Digital Ocean) and AWS they can rule the in internet

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

yep, I know that feel :)

Been paying £24.99 p/month for a 256mb VPS for 4 years now because .... it just works, no fuss no questions asked and I know it will continue to do so because I am paying them enough to have an infrastructure in place that can provide that.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    yep, I know that feel :)

If you dont mind saying, who is that with?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

AnthonySmith said: Been paying £24.99 p/month for a 256mb VPS for 4 years now because .... it just works, no fuss no questions asked and I know it will continue to do so because I am paying them enough to have an infrastructure in place that can provide that.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

I have way too many VPSs as well as dedicated servers, when I do cancel feels more like a relieve :P

It's just so easy now to deploy VPSs with hourly billing you're not really stuck to it anymore.

Thanked by 3trewq TheKiller pluush
  • I have a ramnode 128mb vps since past 6 months and uptime was 100% ! till a couple of days ago for a downtime of 20 minutes(they informed in advance). Best ever. but ; i am already feeling guilty that i am about to cancel my dedibox 1115 :( still 10 days of dilemma !

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • Guilty? No. Every provider I've left has either provided an inferior service or was just excess to my requirements.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@vfuse said:
    It's just so easy now to deploy VPSs with hourly billing you're not really stuck to it anymore.

This. Unless I have services actively running on a VPS then it's on hourly billing.

• AmitzAmitz Member

I still feel guilty because I once cancelled the first excellent VPS that I had. It was a Prometeus one. What a beautiful, reliable, lovable, fast and faithful VM she was. I miss her and was an idiot & son of a b*tch to give her away for that new and shiny dedicated server.

So - Yes. One can develop some kind of relationship to a VPS. My psychoanalyst says that there is no reason to be ashamed of this. ;-)

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • erkinerkin Member
    edited April 2015

There've been times I felt the same. :-)

Thanked by 1nadz
  • earlearl Member

I have no problems cancelling VPS's.. Dedi's on the other hand, I just can't seem to let go..

• I really feel guilty when I am cancelling VPS from excellent providers...

I'm kind of perceptual...

• I cancel VPSes if I no longer need them. Although I have some I'll probably never cancel, just because they're so good for the money ($20/yr MyRSK and $7/yr VPSdime)

Thanked by 1nadz
  • ehabehab Member

i learned a lesson from vps fever i had last year :::: do i really need it? can i use what i have? target is to stop wasting money on idle nodes:::::

• Yes, sometimes I do take some time deciding to let go a VPS that is of too much value (steal deal, or good performance, or good provider). But life sometimes just require those monies allocated somewhere else...

• Nekki said: do you keep hold of VPS or servers you no longer need simply because they've served you well in the past?

yes :)

• I felt like you when I cancelled my ramnode vps

Thanked by 1Nick_A

PremiumN said: If you dont mind saying, who is that with?

Racksrv.

@rm_ said:

Yeah you 'can' get a dedi for that, in fact you could get more than 1, but it will be dog shit, not managed or redundant.

• No guilt. I rarely cancel a VPS and when I do, it is because it has poor performance and/or huge downtime. Or because the provider didn't upgrade the node for years and there is a really better deal in the same area.

• Nostalgic. :)

• praveenpraveen Member
    edited April 2015

@ehab said:
    i learned a lesson from vps fever i had last year :::: do i really need it? can i use what i have? target is to stop wasting money on idle nodes:::::

mee too.. i am now in process of cancelling all unused ones..

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2015

AnthonySmith said: Yeah you 'can' get a dedi for that, in fact you could get more than 1

Nah 1 is enough, http://www.soyoustart.com/fr/serveurs-essential/
    25GBP is 34.79 EUR, so SYS-IP-1 or even SYS-IP-2.

but it will be dog shit

And no it will not.

not managed

And is that VPS managed? Do you still need managed VPSes, I thought you were pretty knowledgeable, being a host and all.

or redundant.

2x2TB so run RAID1 all you want.

Really, paying 25 GBP for a 256 MB VPS is maybe good for a contest of "the most retarded thing I did this month", but not for much else.

Thanked by 1alexvolk
  • lbftlbft Member

rm_ said: Do you still need managed VPSes, I thought you were pretty knowledgeable, being a host and all.

This may be a strange idea around these parts but sometimes if people have enough money and not enough time they'd rather pay someone else so they don't have to think about it...

• I have never cancelled a VPS, just because I have only one (lol). I will order one from Ramnode if I need more.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Thanks @Nekki! :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Yep. I hated dropping my RamNode collection down, but my budget is a moving target and a lot of the containers I spin up are for new test environments for ideas that most often don't make it live. The end result is I have a lot of cancelled products, but even if it's just a few dollars for one month I like to send it toward a good provider. It's easier to do what I do with DigitalOcean but I still do it with RamNode and BuyVM.

Thanked by 3netomx Pwner MikePT