Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how to stream 1080p videos from a VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

how to stream 1080p videos from a VPS

Hello,

a friend of mine uses his VPS to download 1080p videos and later stream it to his iPhone/iPad. The speed between him and the VPS reaches about 1,3MB/s (more isn't possible with his connection), but I think this should be sufficient for streaming. He gets the files over apache2 and streams it with vlc media player. But after a few minutes the movie always starts lagging, the results are the same when he uses vlc on his computer. So I don't think that it's a CPU speed issue with his iPhone/iPad. So I suspect that apache2 isn't optimized or maybe there is a better protocol for streaming media?

thank you :)

Comments

• mmmm I'm sure someone more qualified will chime in but until then, for my setup I try to get MP4s, since so many browsers support streaming it (except maybe Firefox but I think that will change soon) and I prefer Nginx instead of Apache.

• I've never had any problems streaming content over http.

Thanked by 1trexos
  • a friend of mine uses his VPS to download 1080p videos and later stream it to his iPhone/iPad. The speed between him and the VPS reaches about 1,3MB/s (more isn't possible with his connection)

Megabytes or megabits? The suffix indicates megabytes, but bandwidth is rarely quoted in megabytes/sec. How much bandwidth does the streamed format require?

Thanked by 1trexos
  • sc754sc754 Member
    edited April 2015

He might want to look at his buffer settings for vlc. If he sets a long buffer time that should fix the lag.

Like this for instance:

https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=99281

Thanked by 1trexos
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

Give plex a try it can transcode the videos for you.

Thanked by 1trexos
  • Thanks for your answers :)

These files are mkv files and I'm pretty sude he doesn't want to convert them first.
    Maybe I should try nginx later.

@Mircrolinux No, its correct. I meant Megabytes. Where can I see how much bandwidth the streaming format requires?

@sc754 I will tell him. Thank you :)

• Yeah already thought at plex. But I think it needs lot of performance. The VPS just has 512MB ram (360MB already in use) and one core.

• +1 for plex

it works amazingly ... i've be able to easily get about 30 streams at the same time. the server software is not 100% stable now as it use to be last year, but still it's awesome.

i don't recommend using a VPS for what you want to do because the transcoding (if it does any) will eat up and possibly get your VPS terminated due to abusing the CPU 100% of each core.

Thanked by 2trexos Chuck
  • I have Plex running on a couple servers - one only has 256MB RAM and it runs fine. The only time it really puts a strain on resources is when it scans your library for changes & updates movie/tv show covers, etc. But Plex is definitely the best if you want a nice organized library that you can stream on a bunch of different devices.

My setup:
    -/movies/ and /tv-shows/ directory in a private nginx directory that's password protected incase I want to access them without Plex
    -add /movies/ and /tv-shows/ to Plex's library

Let me know if you want any help setting this up! Plex rules apart from having to rename files if a torrent is disorganized.

Thanked by 1trexos
  • 1.3MB/s are ~15Mbit.

A Full HD movie of 90 minutes has (at least) 10GB and thus requires 1851Kb/s or ~20Mbit to run as live stream.

His connection simply is not fast enough for 1080p.

Thanked by 2trexos Chuck
  • I'm not sure about the plex thing. I heard, just some of you mentioned, that plex needs a lot of CPU and ofc he doesn't want to get suspended because of that. But maybe it's worth a try.

@William thank you for your answer. I'm wondering why YouTube, Twitch and other streaming plattforms work like a charm with 1080p with his connection. But I assume they have a special "technology" on how to.make it working with less bandwidth? Might plex fixes this speed problem?

• trexos said: I'm wondering why YouTube, Twitch and other streaming plattforms work like a charm with 1080p with his connection. But I assume they have a special "technology" on how to.make it working with less bandwidth?

They re-encode the uploaded videos to a "web optimized" format/bit-rate. Youtube uses 4.5 Mbit/s for 1080p videos (if I remember correctly).

Thanked by 1trexos
  • Use nginx with x-accel-redirect , my not so good server streams 3-3.5TB everyday without any problems , infact the server is never unders tress ...

• @trexos said:
    Mircrolinux No, its correct. I meant Megabytes. Where can I see how much bandwidth the streaming format requires?

I imagine the information is out there for MKV, but at 1080, I can easily envision it needing more bandwidth than is currently available.

• joereidjoereid Member
    edited April 2015

Plex uses a lot of CPU if the video needs to be transcoded (add subtitles/change codec/bitrate etc) but if it's already in the native format (mp4/aac) it is basically just a download and uses no CPU at all.

1080p seems excessive for viewing on an ipad. I'm sure a 800-1000Kbps 720p would look just as good on that screen size. maybe that's just me being old and crotchety though...

• Last time I checked an iPad/iPhone/Any mobile Apple device isn't able to play back MKV files. So you'd be stuck with converting it first.

• trexos said: @William thank you for your answer. I'm wondering why YouTube, Twitch and other streaming plattforms work like a charm with 1080p with his connection. But I assume they have a special technology" on how to.make it working with less bandwidth? Might plex fixes this speed problem?

As @telephone said YT/Dailymotion and alike convert to less bitrate, using around 5Mbit.

• NomadNomad Member

Any operation, be it transcoding or converting, will use a lot of cpu. It's not ideal to run on a VPS IF you won't be directly streaming the video without ffmpeg being involved.

Maybe your friend should upgrade it to a cheap dedicated server or settle with 720p downloads.

With 1.3MB connection even if it's Nginx you won't get a smoothless stream on 1080p. Maybe even for some 720p.

• erkinerkin Member

Sorry, but which models of iphone/ipad have the ability for displaying real high defination images?

• Sorry, but which models of iphone/ipad have the ability for displaying real high defination images?

All with Retina displays.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@erkin said:
    Sorry, but which models of iphone/ipad have the ability for displaying real high defination images?

What is a 'real high definition' image?

• erkinerkin Member

Real is being an adjective here. Not a new term. ;-)

Thanked by 1trexos
  • NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited April 2015

erkin said: Real is being an adjective here. Not a new term. ;-)

So anything at 720p or above then? In that case, all the Retina-equipped iPads and the iPhone 6/6+. The iPhone 4 is double-VGA and the iPhone 5 isn't quite 720p.

The 6+ is the only 1080p iPhone.

Thanked by 1erkin
  • So, I just installed Plex for him. I followed this "guide" http://www.htpcguides.com/install-plex-media-server-on-debian-linux/

I have Plex up and running, but it looks like the guide uses and older version. Because when I open ttp://YOURSERVERIP:32400/web/ I only see a login and register page. Even after registering and login in I can't see any real settings of the server. Maybe somebody could give me a few hints?^^

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited April 2015

@trexos said:
    So, I just installed Plex for him. I followed this "guide" http://www.htpcguides.com/install-plex-media-server-on-debian-linux/

I have Plex up and running, but it looks like the guide uses and older version. Because when I open ttp://YOURSERVERIP:32400/web/ I only see a login and register page. Even after registering and login in I can't see any real settings of the server. Maybe somebody could give me a few hints?^^

Initial configuration has to be done on the host machine; either go through a virtual desktop or create an ssh tunnel and configure it that way.

• Nekki said: Initial configuration has to be done on the host machine; either go through a virtual desktop or create an ssh tunnel and configure it that way.

or just use windows.. and get all the great features with it.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

TarZZ92 said: or just use windows.. and get all the great features with it.

No idea what you're talking about.

Thanked by 1Gadelhas
  • Nekki said: No idea what you're talking about.

Advanced Deduplication for starters ^ and plex is way easier to setup

• NomadNomad Member

@trexos said:
    So, I just installed Plex for him. I followed this "guide" http://www.htpcguides.com/install-plex-media-server-on-debian-linux/

Connect via ssh tunnel of your server and use
    :32400/manage/index.html

• NekkiNekki Veteran

TarZZ92 said: Advanced Deduplication for starters ^ and plex is way easier to setup

I've done tens of Plex servers on Debian, there's no way Windows is 'way' easier. It might be more straight-forward for a non-techie, but that's not really relevant here.

No idea what 'advanced deduplication' is, care to elaborate of what is is and why I should change platform to use it?