Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DNS - Redirecting to sub.anotherdomain.com:69 using A records?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DNS - Redirecting to sub.anotherdomain.com:69 using A records?

Mark_RMark_R Member

Hi,

Is it possible to make A records redirect to a subdomain from some other server? perhaps with port or path included? if not what kind of record do i need to add?

i got these options:

screenshot: http://puu.sh/hjfTM/914ef50309.png

screenshot 2: http://puu.sh/hjg6g/ac098bee6d.png

Thanks!

Comments

• to clarify it more,

im working on a python script that will at some point connect to subdomain.domain.com

i want that the dns server redirects subdomain.domain.com to subdomain.domain2.com:69/db/29401.py

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited April 2015

@Mark_R said:
    to clarify it more,

im working on a python script that will at some point connect to subdomain.domain.com

i want that the dns server redirects subdomain.domain.com to subdomain.domain2.com:69/db/29401.py

Not possible with just DNS. There are registrars that have free URL forwarding - this would be what you need. Or code your own.

• @Traffic said:
    Not possible with just DNS. There are registrars that have free URL forwarding - this would be what you need. Or code your own.

are you sure about that? what about the SRV record? could i use that for this purpose and link an A record to the SRV one?

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited April 2015

@Mark_R can't you just use domain redirect instead of DNS?

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited April 2015

@Mark_R said:

While you can link to the specific IP:port, I have never seen a way to link to an specific file like what you mentioned here. Maybe it's possible.

subdomain.domain.com to subdomain.domain2.com:69/db/29401.py

• @Traffic said:
    code your own.

Yes i could make the python script takeover the DNS stuff but i rather try to keep everything on the DNS side, its easier to globally modify DNS and have the script detect that and following it instead of pushing through script updates to the users.

• @Traffic said:
    While you can link to the specific IP:port, I have never seen a way to link to an specific file like what you mentioned here. Maybe it's possible.

IP:port would be enough for me, i can make the server that is listening to the port redirect to the specific path using index files. what record would i need for IP/domain:port redirect?

• @Mark_R said:

Not completely sure I haven't missed anything (look it up first), but I think this would do with the example settings you gave me:

Assuming server is at 1.2.3.4

• Create A record: subdomain.domain2.com => 1.2.3.4
    • Create SRV at subdomain.domain.com with:
      • Target: subdomain.domain2.com
      • Port: 69

Basically it's what you said, make the SRV point to the A.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Not Sure about the Port but pointing a Sub-Domain to other Server is just done by A Record. Maybe, @Traffic is correct about the Port.

• @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    Not Sure about the Port but pointing a Sub-Domain to other Server is just done by A Record. Maybe, Traffic is correct about the Port.

That setup should work. But only if the client used by @Mark_R supports SRV records (many don't, browsers for example)

• @Traffic said:
    That setup should work. But only if the client used by Mark_R supports SRV records (many don't, browsers for example)

Yeah, i will have to import an additional library to make this happen

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pydns/

but im going to run a few other tests first to see whats best.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@Traffic said:
    That setup should work. But only if the client used by Mark_R supports SRV records (many don't, browsers for example)

Oh, I'm not aware of it. Which browsers ??

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2015

Browsers as such do not support SRV at all

• vldvld Member

If the only thing that accesses those records is your python script, might as well just use TXT records.