Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS, ColoCrossing / Velocity Servers, and Spamhaus
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS, ColoCrossing / Velocity Servers, and Spamhaus

FuturePilotFuturePilot Member
edited April 2015 in Providers

I don't know if anyone can do anything for me here. Maybe I just need to rant. I've just been very frustrated lately. For the second time in about a month my IP has gotten caught in one of Spamhaus' /17 blacklists. The first time I opened a ticket with CVPS and they said they were working with Spamhaus. A week or so later and my ticket was closed without comment but my IP was still blacklisted. I reopened it and they said they would just give me a new IP. Apparently they weren't able to make any progress with Spamhaus. So I get a new IP and now several weeks later that IP is now blacklisted by Spamhaus in another /17 blacklisting on ColoCrossing. I'm not sure who's to blame here. ColoCrossing is apparently a source of high amounts of spam and they don't do anything about it according to Spamhaus. However I've also heard that Spamhaus has some shady practices as well. I'm curious to know both sides to this story. Spamhaus seems hellbent on blacklisting ColoCrossing's entire range of IPs. This is from one of their SBL listings

We respect your work in stopping the abusers when notified, and we know that yours is a legitimate business facing problems and not a shady network provider willing to provide bulletproof hosting.

However, many other ISPs, even those way larger than ColoCrossing, face the same abuse problem as ColoCrossing and they manage to keep it under control.

The amount of resources assigned to spammers in their networks is orders of magnitude smaller than ColoCrossing's.

We've already notified how almost all the abusers signing up on your network are using fake IDs and how vetting/confirming these IDs can limit the problem. Nothing happened on this side, and abusers are still allowed to sign up providing fake names and addresses.

We've also suggested several times how placing rate-limits to outbound SMTP traffic can severely affect the "bad apples'" ability to abuse your resources to send spam, but again we've seen no indication of anything being arranged in this regard.

We've been playing whack-a-mole with you for a long time now: it's simply not working nor there seem to be an interest to really solve the problem on your part.

As already announced way too many times we have no further interest in wasting our time playing this game: the amount of SBLs we've been opening for your networks is far beyond unacceptable (565 in the latest 6 months).

Our first concern is about our users and how your apparent lack of control over your network is harming their ability to properly keep their mailboxes clean; therefore I'm afraid we're going to advise our users to not accept email traffic coming from your networks until we see a serious indication that the problem is being taken care of.

Maybe it's the email provider's fault who are using Spamhaus' lists as blocklists rather than spam score modifiers. I don't know.

I've already opened another ticket with CVPS and I'm still waiting for a reply. I've been with CVPS since the beginning of 2012 and I've had very few issues with them. This blacklisting has only been an issue since 2015. Aside from this crap, their service seems to have been going downhill lately anyway. I've been thinking of switching to a different provider but it's impossible to find anything equivalent to what I'm getting for $7/mo. Quad core 3.5GHz CPU, 3 GB RAM, 100 GB storage, and 3 TB of bandwidth.

Comments

• Pay shit get shit

• @FuturePilot said:
    but it's impossible to find anything equivalent to what I'm getting for $7/mo. Quad core 3.5GHz CPU, 3 GB RAM, 100 GB storage, and 3 TB of bandwidth.

That's your problem. Do you really think anyone would put up with the shit cvps has been in if they didn't offer absolutely ridiculous/unsustainable prices?

Thanked by 1lbft
  • 17brownj17brownj Member, Host Rep

Well if you're looking for another provider I would recommend Hostus. They are simply amazing.
    http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/988926/
    It's paid quartely but works out to be $6/month.

• @17brownj said:
    Well if you're looking for another provider I would recommend Hostus. They are simply amazing.

Hmmm that looks good. I'll have to look in to it. Thanks!

• earlearl Member

@Jonchun said:
    That's your problem. Do you really think anyone would put up with the shit cvps has been in if they didn't offer absolutely ridiculous/unsustainable prices?

CVPS has been offering those ridiculous/unsustainable prices for a heck of a long time.. probably as long as LEB has been around!!

Maybe ridiculous, but if it was unsustainable, you'd think they'd fold by now :P

• @earl said:

They are unsustainable if they actually provide what was advertised. They have a long history of overselling nodes to the point where no one could use their stuff, and pretty much everyone here has had troubles with uptime at cvps.

• CC is a spam heaven. all my mail servers block entire CC ranges. and will remain until they actually deal with the problem. others should do the same

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

@TarZZ92 said:
    CC is a spam heaven. all my mail servers block entire CC ranges. and will remain until they actually deal with the problem. others should do the same

I think CC is starting to care a little. Now that more people are reporting blocked ranges and IPs.

• earlearl Member

@Jonchun said:
    They are unsustainable if they actually provide what was advertised. They have a long history of overselling nodes to the point where no one could use their stuff, and pretty much everyone here has had troubles with uptime at cvps.

Well considering it's OVZ I actually don't find that deal to be all that cheap.. at the current rate of things where you can get a dedi for around $7/mo it's really not that great a deal.

• @FuturePilot i could recommend you this for the same or less price.. I have a vps with them, am believe me i am satisfied about it.

• I think CC is low on clean ranges now...

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@17brownj said:

Thanks for the recommendation !

• active8active8 Member
    edited April 2015

+1 for Hostus

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Just use an external mail provider and that is it. Mandrill is cheap...

• SadySady Member

@17brownj said:

+1, You can't go wrong with a service backed with Alexander so go for that :)
    I also have that $18/q plan & I've to say, "pay shit, get shit" policy is wrong for that :)

• Maybe take a look at MyCustomHosting. It's KVM instead of the OpenVZ you're on now, and Phil has a similar plan to yours for cheaper (less disk though). Maybe you can work something out with him if you really require 100GB.

I have 2 servers with Phil and have never had a problem with either of them.

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/50304/my-custom-hosting-canada-kvm-premium-ddos-protection-native-ipv6-e5-s-ssd-cached-no-bs

I was also using one of those ChicagoVPS 3GB plans when I switched to MCH, best upgrade ever.

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • Decided to give Hostus a shot. So far so good. Noticeably faster than CVPS. Currently working on migrating all my data over. As soon as that's done so long CVPS.

PS. Still no reply from CVPS on my ticket.

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

We've implemented a solution that we expect will stop the spam originating from vps instances on the network. We'll be monitoring this closely over the next few days.

Thanked by 2hostdare MikePT
  • @jbiloh said:
    We've implemented a solution that we expect will stop the spam originating from vps instances on the network. We'll be monitoring this closely over the next few days.

This sounds exciting :D

• jbiloh said: We've implemented a solution that we expect will stop the spam originating from vps instances on the network. We'll be monitoring this closely over the next few days.

I saw that too. When a certain amount of email is detected coming from a certain IP, the IP is null routed. However, isthmus that that this solution may false-positively affect legitimately busy servers (i.e. shared hosting) -- but I suppose the system can be taught to adapt.

I wish you the best of luck with this approach, and I'm happy to see ColoCrossing taking more serious actions against spam.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

@jbiloh said:

That is great to know.smtp rate limiting will always help.