Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone have experience with OVH CDN?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone have experience with OVH CDN?

20142014 Member
edited April 2015 in Reviews

Anyone have experience with OVH CDN? and which type CDN is good for image sharing site?

Comments

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Never tried it TBH but would like to read some reviews as well!

• 20142014 Member

@MrGeneral said:
    Never tried it TBH but would like to read some reviews as well!

Thanks friend :) we also using OVH for host our site :)

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • 20142014 Member

@MrGeneral Please tell me which type CDN is good for image sharing site?

@2014 said:
    MrGeneral Please tell me which type CDN is good for image sharing site?

Unfortunately I'm not too experienced with CDN's, I used MaxCDN in the past and the service was great and not expensive. Although OVH's CDN is cheaper and obviously well backed by OVH DDoS mitigation devices. As for the pricing and such, I'm not aware as well.

Would you need to host the images in the CDN? What's the size to have an idea?

Thanked by 12014
  • 20142014 Member

MrGeneral said: Would you need to host the images in the CDN? What's the size to have an idea?

Thank you for help.. i don't have experience with any CDN :( i have a photo sharing site like 500px.. we already use cloudflare for our site and have a daily 2GB bandwidth REQUESTS

• dnwkdnwk Member

OVH's asian bandwidth is pretty bad. Some routing was ridiculous. But North America and European performance is solid.

Thanked by 12014

@2014 said:
    Thank you for help.. i don't have experience with any CDN :( i have a photo sharing site like 500px.. we already use cloudflare for our site and have a daily 2GB bandwidth REQUESTS

Got it! Isn't CloudFlare enough to help you saving bandwidth?

What's the total available bandwidth you have per month? Perhaps you could "create" your own CDN, by renting a VPS and use it for storage/CDN. If you're using WordPress you can easily achieve this by configuring a remote CDN/FTP server using a cache plugin that supports it (SuperCache, etc).

Thanked by 12014
  • CDN them as proxy to any server. This is not a separate service and just sense it is no order. Once the server and cdn complete. A storage at them very poorly, there is even a domain can not be attached, and the more there is no ssl.

Thanked by 12014
  • 2014 said: we already use cloudflare for our site and have a daily 2GB bandwidth REQUESTS

What are your cloudflare cache settings looking like?

The best way to (ab)use CloudFlare as a CDN, is to have a separate subdomain for your images (i.e. cdn.my.websie) and setting incredibly high cache expire TTL for just that subdomain.

Doing that will really, really speed things up. Also it's still free!

• 20142014 Member

@MrGeneral can you explain me which is good and cheap?

MrGeneral said: Would you need to host the images in the CDN? What's the size to have an idea?

what is good ? host the images in the CDN or without? how i use CDN without host images? also both are good ?

@2014 said:
    MrGeneral can you explain me which is good and cheap?

what is good ? host the images in the CDN or without? how i use CDN without host images? also both are good ?

IMHO you could get a cheap ramnode yearly VPS, 128mb ram, 80GB SSD Cached diskspace, and host your images and therefore use it as CDN as well, the resources are more than enough to achieve it, then using a plugin such as SuperCache or any other that supports custom CDN, the plugin upload the images to the CDN (In this case the VPS) and you utilize it's bandwidth. Assuming you'll have at least 500GB monthly bandwidth, that should be plenty of bandwidth to serve your images.

Do let me know if there's anything else I can clarify for you!

Thanked by 2deadbeef raindog308
  • 20142014 Member

@MrGeneral Thank you very much bro...!

Thanked by 1MikePT

@2014 said:
    MrGeneral Thank you very much bro...!

You're welcome!

• DeanDean Member

If you are looking at CDN's; take a look at KeyCDN - they also have a free trial. I asked a couple of weeks back and was told to take a look at it and love it. It works with Wordpress Cache plugins too.

• @dnwk said:

This is their CDN? Was the Asian routing worse than 180ms round trip? If not, you'll see improvements in US/EU and no difference in Asia.

• 20142014 Member

@Steven_F said:
    This is their CDN? Was the Asian routing worse than 180ms round trip? If not, you'll see improvements in US/EU and no difference in Asia.

You mean OVH CDN not problem for Asian site?

• Well, I don't prefer going for OVH CDN for an asian site as it's going to make no big difference.

• @2014 said:
    You mean OVH CDN not problem for Asian site?

No, for international sites... If the Asian load times just didn't improve, but didn't get worse, it's still an overall improvement.

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited April 2015

@Steven_F said:

I mean weird routing. CN -> FR -> US routing instead of CN -> JP -> US

• @dnwk said:
    I mean weird routing. CN -> FR -> US routing instead of CN -> JP -> US

I wonder if it's still like that.

• Cloudflare pro or business plan is more suited for your needs.

• 20142014 Member

PacketPunks said: Cloudflare pro or business plan is more suited for your needs.

its better than keycdn ?

• @2014 said:

Although i have not used any other CDN other than cloudflare , that is mostly because i have never had any problems with cloudflare .

I believe imgur uses cloudflare aswell ..

I would recommend cloudflare anytime ..

• udkudk Member

Rolter said: I believe imgur uses cloudflare aswell ..

They recently switched to fastly (from cloudflare) - not sure why though

• I'm using a dedicated server from OVH and it's been great! Haven't had any issues. Their prices are good, but I haven't had the chance to try out their support really.