Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenBSD LEB?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenBSD LEB?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
edited October 2011 in General

prmgr has small Xen VPSes that support NetBSD. By small, I mean 64MB RAM/1.5GB disk/10GB BW.

However, I don't know if they support OpenBSD (and I haven't gotten an email reply yet).

OpenBSD runs great in tiny memory...I run it at home on an old Soekris. It would

Most of the OpenBSD plans I've seen are bigger/more expensive. Anyone know of a 64MB or 128MB (heck, I could probably even do a 32MB :-) LEB that supports OpenBSD?

Comments

• Dunno, get a KVM and have fun

• bear in mind, in KVM OpenBSD can't worked instantly.

• raindog308 said: I don't know if they support OpenBSD (and I haven't gotten an email reply yet)

They don't. netbsd works in xen pv openbsd doesn't.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I'm assuming it would work in KVM.

Apparently not in Xen PV.

But probably in Xen HVM...?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

I know we got some users running OpenBSD & NetBSD on our plans with minimal issues. We had a user claim they had to modify the bootloader for OBSD to work 100% but other than that is quite happy.

Granted, there's no virtio and I think e1k isn't working for him either, but i'd have to ask to make sure :)

Francisco

• KVM and Xen HVM are nearly the same identical thing, both using QEMU, KVM offers a few more things over Xen HVM I've found. Have a client that moved from a Xen HVM to KVM as tehy could not run in Xen with a fully encrypted drive which was painlessly done in KVM.

• fanovpnfanovpn Member
    edited October 2011

OpenBSD amd64 is working great on a 128MB KVM from BuyVM for me (and I also run it on KVM on a server on my LAN). I haven't tried it with more than a single (virtual) processor, though.

You do have to do a "disable mpbios" to get it to boot (the installer and bsd.rd have it disabled by default, so that's nice, but /bsd won't), but that's just a case of interrupting the bootloader via VNC to disable it manually on the first post-install boot, and then running "config -ef /bsd" to do it permanently. Look at Mon5t3r's link, it's got "screenshots" of what to do.

EDIT: http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Guest_Support_Status#UNIX_Family:_BSD says that OpenBSD 5.0 (Nov 1, 2011) doesn't require the mpbios workaround under KVM anymore.

Also keep in mind that the default KVM network device of an emulated Realtek NIC doesn't cooperate well with OpenBSD, you will get lots of timeout errors and very poor performance. OpenBSD works fine with the other network device KVM offers, an emulated Intel e1000. But make sure your provider will let you change your VM's network device, because not all of them make it a user-selectable option. BuyVM's Stallion control panel has the e1000 as an option, and TinyKVM actually default to providing an e1000.

A VMWare VPS is also another solution to look at, I think that might be the only virtualization platform which OpenBSD has paravirtualized guest support for, so it would have the best performance. But performance is acceptable on KVM, though OpenBSD doesn't have virtio support.

• Free BSD, end xD n_n