Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS recommendation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS recommendation

Hi all. I have a wordpress blog that is starting to have 200 same time users and my shared hosting account is going over limit. So I was thinking going with digital ocean or ovh VPS. Which would you recommend for this kind of traffic? Website is only 4 or 5 Gb. Cheers

Comments

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Depending your budget, and location requirement, you can't go wrong with Ramnode, Vultr, Evoburst, etc.

• SavioSavio Member

Sent you a pm, hope we can help .

• miguel84 said: So I was thinking going with digital ocean or ovh VPS. Which would you recommend for this kind of traffic?

First of all, are you sure that you can setup and manage a vps? Do you have server administrating knowledge? It is far more than installing an operating system and a LAMP stack. In an unmanaged server, you are obligaded to have a good knowledge as server admin (securing server properly, monitor 24/7, freauently scans, performance boosting, daily/weekly backups to another server and offline etc.)
    If you don't have the knowledge to know what vps specs you need for your site, I highly dought that you can manage a server for a live site...
    If I were you, I would buy either a higher specs shared hosting for now or a fully managed vps. The second choice will cost you much more... The first choice would be much cheaper. In the meantime (when your site stays in a better shared server or in a managed vps), buy a couple of dirty cheap boxes with low specs and learn how to administrate them. Play for several months with them, install sites, apache or nginx stacks, free control panels. Secure and learn how to strength them. Test them and then, test you. You will know when you are ready to move your site to your custom server.

As of the specs you need, now (your initial question): A vps from a good provider (not kiddie host with x100 oversold node) with 2 vcpu's or more, 1GB Ram or more (better over 1.5GB) and at least 500GB bandwidth will do fine. If you wanna test it, you could try DigitalOcean, RunAbove, Vultr, IWstack and begin with a lower specs installation to see how the vps responds to your traffic.

Also, buy a couple of dirty cheap vps's and do daily backups from your main server to the other 2 (if your site is so small that fits in 4-5GB, then you can find a lot of vps providers that are extremely cheap for 128MB ram 10-20GB HDD boxes that can be used for bakup purposes).
    You can also rsync your site to another vps to have a live mirror at anytime.
    Use cloudflare for lowering the load with some caching and use their dns, so, you can immediatelly move your site to another server in case of a catastrophy.

What do I suggest:
    For unmanaged vps, except from the cloud providers I mentioned already, you can surely trust Inception Hosting, Crissic, Ramnode, MyCustomHosting.
    For shared hosting I would go with Buyshared (buyvm).

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • leckleyleckley Member
    edited April 2015

@miguel84 said:
    Hi all. I have a wordpress blog that is starting to have 200 same time users and my shared hosting account is going over limit. So I was thinking going with digital ocean or ovh VPS. Which would you recommend for this kind of traffic? Website is only 4 or 5 Gb. Cheers

What resource are you exceeding on your current shared web hosting account?

Do you have an idea how much resources (CPU, RAM, Bandwidth, etc.) you are using now? Are you using a caching plugin such as W3 Total Cache already?

• If you're okay with a self-managed VPS. Check out our latest offer. It's great if you're looking for budget high ram VPS.

http://lowendbox.com/blog/k9vps-256mb-for-10year-3072mb-for-7month-and-more-in-los-angeles/

• @miguel84

Can we get more information about your blog? What resources are you currently maxing out exactly? Are you caching?

I ask cause theres 24 hours in a day, which means 8.3 visitors an hour... which isn't a lot per say. Do you have any certain modules/add-ons currently loaded?

• @OnraHost I think he talks about 200 concurrent users, not 200 per day.

• @OnraHost said:
    miguel84
    per say.

per se

• @jvnadr Your right, I misread that.

@deadbeef - Your right to...It was spell check. Per Se is also a pretty damn good place to eat off 59th ;)

• @leckley said:
    Do you have an idea how much resources (CPU, RAM, Bandwidth, etc.) you are using now? Are you using a caching plugin such as W3 Total Cache already?

Hi

CPU usage is maxed out sometimes. RAM and IO is OK. I use W3 + Cloudflare

• @OnraHost said:
    miguel84

Can we get more information about your blog? What resources are you currently maxing out exactly? Are you caching?

I ask cause theres 24 hours in a day, which means 8.3 visitors an hour... which isn't a lot per say. Do you have any certain modules/add-ons currently loaded?

CPU usage maxs out when I hit 200 simultaneous users, which is sometimes 50.000 per day

• @jvnadr said:
    OnraHost I think he talks about 200 concurrent users, not 200 per day.

exactly

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Miguel, we got the same name! You should be fine running the website in a decent shared hosting, and decent cache :-)

• Have you consider using Cloudflare to offload the traffic?

• right now I'm undecided between ramnode and digital ocean

What would you choose:

digital ocean
    1GBMemory
    1 CoreProcessor
    30GBSSD Disk

or

ramnode
    1024MB SKVM 1024 MB 4 Cores 1 /64 28 GB 3000 GB

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Definitely, RamNode. :)

• @miguel84 said:
    right now I'm undecided between ramnode and digital ocean

What would you choose:

digital ocean
    1GBMemory
    1 CoreProcessor
    30GBSSD Disk

or

ramnode
    1024MB SKVM 1024 MB 4 Cores 1 /64 28 GB 3000 GB

I think you use your VPS 24/7 then i would go with Ramnode (i know u will )

(if u not then)

Linode (you can have a node balancer & Free migration & Manged service)

then

Digital ocean

• RizRiz Member

+1 for RamNode, provided that sustains the traffic than you will be fine. The 4 cores will help out a lot as spikes hit, and for backups.

• So you would recomend:

1st: ramnode
    2nd: linode
    3rd: digitalocean

• RizRiz Member

Yeah, stay away from shared with that kind of traffic. I migrated a few WP sites away as the resource limits kept getting hit.

Are you aiming towards KVM more for a reason? Containers will allow you to flex a bit more -- especially with the quality hosts.

• @Riz said:
    Yeah, stay away from shared with that kind of traffic. I migrated a few WP sites away as the resource limits kept getting hit.

Are you aiming towards KVM more for a reason? Containers will allow you to flex a bit more -- especially with the quality hosts.

I read that with KVM I will get better performance because of better isolation

• ClancomsClancoms Member
    edited April 2015

• @Clancoms said:
    If you would like i can set you up with 2 servers 1 openVZ and 1 kvm you can play with them decide the best one for you
    so order 1 and get 2 then after a few days you can keep the one you want.

https://clancoms.com/index.php/vps

the VPS02 is only $4 a month

test our speed

http://spdtest.clancoms.com/

I want Europe

• @miguel84 said:
    I want Europe

o my bad i did not see that in your post please disregard my offer