Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is better $21 quarterly 4GB KVM 40GB or $5 monthly 2GB Atom 230 100GB?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is better $21 quarterly 4GB KVM 40GB or $5 monthly 2GB Atom 230 100GB?

$21 quarterly 4GB KVM 50GB BW 3TB
or
$5 monthly 2GB Atom 230 100GB BW 2TB

Purpose:
1. Test or evaluate operating systems
2. Might think or creating mail server
3. Docker containers, etc

which should be preferred?

Comments

• Depends what the CPU is on the KVM service and whether you prefer more disk or more RAM.

Thanked by 1rahoolm
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited April 2015

If you want to evaluate os and create docker containers, then, you probably should go woth an atom box. But, remebmer, this bos is very weak and slow, so, do not expect too much exept that you will have a computer for your own (you can abuse it and push it as you want).
    But if you want better performance, a 4GB KVM from a respected and tested provider will be much better. You will face minor limitations compared to a dedicated server, but it will be much faster.
    As of creating a mail server, the atom box can handle perfectly one, if you don't expect several 1000's of mails per hour (that is not your case, as I can understand).
    So, it all depends on what exactly are you going to do with the box.

Thanked by 2Traffic rahoolm
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited April 2015

If that KVM is from MyCustomHosting and the atom is from OVH Canada.
    IMO, Go with the KVM. I tried both and @MCHPhil won out in overall usefulness by a large margin over the old atom.

• Thanks!
    KVM is from CrownCloud and I am very happy with their services. My plan is quarterly. The only thing is space which is 40GB which give a feeling sometime that it should have been at least 60GB.

Dedibox was from Delimitervps, which I had discontinued later. Got a better from the signature of Mark ;)

Thanked by 2MarkTurner FrankZ
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I pick the dedi simply because the guys from Delimiter are seriously chill and I like working with them. I did end up leaving their services simply because I'm too much of a DDOS target and tunneled DDOS protection is not an option for a high volume mail server. I stand by their awesome support though.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • @Jar said:
    I pick the dedi simply because the guys from Delimiter are seriously chill and I like working with them. I did end up leaving their services simply because I'm too much of a DDOS target and tunneled DDOS protection is not an option for a high volume mail server. I stand by their awesome support though.

agree

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

rahoolm said: Thanks! KVM is from CrownCloud and I am very happy with their services. My plan is quarterly. The only thing is space which is 40GB which give a feeling sometime that it should have been at least 60GB.

Thanks, Makes me happy seeing a happy customer! Dropped you a PM :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

rahoolm said: Purpose: 1. Test or evaluate operating systems 2. Might think or creating mail server 3. Docker containers, etc

Neither: use Virtualbox on your desktop.

The only reason to put something in a datacenter (e.g., a VPS) is if you need fast public Internet.

The mail server is the only thing you list that would make me buy a VPS or dedicated server. You can create, play with, and tear down operating systems all day on your laptop/desktop with Virtualbox or VMware Player, etc. Same for docker.

• Do you mind messaging me the CrownCloud link? Current customer and might want to upgrade...

DisplacedTexan said: Do you mind messaging me the CrownCloud link? Current customer and might want to upgrade...

PM'd :)

• @raindog308 said:
    The mail server is the only thing you list that would make me buy a VPS or dedicated server. You can create, play with, and tear down operating systems all day on your laptop/desktop with Virtualbox or VMware Player, etc. Same for docker.

I agree, the thing is internet BW is costly in India, and VPS offers a good connectivity and high BW. Also, KVM with CrownCloud, I have an option of using iPXE boot where I can try multiple OS options.
    Moreover, you can work remotely from any place, you don't have to stick to a particular machine.

• @SpeedBus said:
    Thanks, Makes me happy seeing a happy customer! Dropped you a PM :)

Indeed, I am quite happy with the services and also happy with the Customer support. They are very helpful and polite.

• can i have a link for crowdcloud?

• erkinerkin Member

@raindog308 It's also understandable for downloading isos to test, with a fast and considerably cheap internet connection.

manhound said: can i have a link for crowdcloud?

Which plan? If it's the 4 GB one: https://crowncloud.net/clients/cart.php?a=add&pid=18

• @erkin said:
    raindog308 It's also understandable for downloading isos to test, with a fast and considerably cheap internet connection.

Exactly!