Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEB and mandatory domain
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEB and mandatory domain

TigersWayTigersWay Member
edited August 2011 in Help

Could someone take 1 minute to try to make me understand :-P why some very interesting LEB providers seem to impose a domain?
Thanks

Comments

• GaryGary Member

Because they're too lazy to fix the order form. Just put something like www.nodomain.com - it doesn't matter.

• Because they're too lazy to fix the order form.

Either that or they're using the same order form for shared hosting.

• BoltersdriveerBoltersdriveer Member, LIR
    edited August 2011

Yeah... There's only one function you need to disable in WHMCS which is pretty easy.

@drmike: You can set different order forms for different services :)

• There's only one function you need to disable in WHMCS which is pretty easy.

Which makes it interesting when they don't do it.

You can set different order forms for different services :)

That's good. many hosts don't do that though. Stay around for a bit and you'll see folks pointing this out.

edited August 2011

Yeah, or unless they want to check the domain their VPS users are using, which is a valid argument as well.

• TigersWayTigersWay Member
    edited August 2011

Thanks. It was somehow what I believed.
    I'm just sad that some of the 'said best' are doing it!

• I usually enter my server hostname domain or example.com if it's asked for.

• Yeah, or unless they want to check the domain their VPS users are using, which is a valid argument as well.

Many MUDs operate from just an IP address. Always wondered about that actually but there are cases where a domain is not needed.

Another example would be for tunneling. No need for a domain there.

• Boltersdriveer said: Yeah, or unless they want to check the domain their VPS users are using, which is a valid argument as well.

It is none of your host's business what you use your VPS for provided you're acting within their terms of service (ie. legal content/services and not abusing resource allocations).

• I always thought that it would be for organizational purposes. The domain is actually used when calculating the full hostname. ([hostname].[domain])
    It also gives the provider a a chance to advertise their domain offerings. :)

But, we disable it because I hate how complicated it is to get to the order page and see what add-ons or configurable options are there.

• Its amazing how many VPS providers still ask for name servers on orders, really what is this? 1999?

• It is none of your host's business what you use your VPS for provided you're acting within their terms of service

But that's the catch. How do they know if you're operating in a legal manner if they don't have that information.

Not arguing with you. Just pointing that out.

I have a clause in our ToS that says that I can inspect an account at any time and I've done so a couple of times when I felt there was a need. (And of course since we're managed hosting, I'm in client accounts all the time doing installs and upgrades.) I think most providers have such a clause. I would be surprised if they didn't.

• ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep

I expect many providers use what you put here as the default hostname of the operating system.

We just give all our clients an internal default server hostname by default since that's easier.

• @ramnet, but that means your modify your signup forms and/or procedure. Many providers don't make many changes to WHMCS.

edited August 2011

@drmike: They could also enter a fake URL, like what everyone here is suggesting :)
    But there's another function for the "hostname" in whmcs, so it wouldn't really matter.

• @Boltersdriveer, you're missing the point yet again. The original poster didn't ask what clients do to get around the field. He asked why providers left it there as it's really not needed. Plus if you review the thread, only Gary up there suggests using the fake URL. Not sure where you're seeing "everybody" making this suggestion.

Plus, as we've discussed before, some hosts will ToS you for using fake information in that field.

Thanked by 1TigersWay
  • for me? because i'm offering free domain for yearly payment. sad but true like Metallica song. :P

but i remove the domain field from our lower package since there's no free domain on it.