Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OS Development.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OS Development.

eastoncheastonch Member
edited September 2012 in General

Herro there LET users; readers; lurkers.... Trolls?

I'm interested, into what the LET market / community would like to see in OS development in the next ~10 years. This isnt a "oh lets make an OS" this is a "Let's see what new tech we want".

Let's not focus on a nice shiny UI from MS, but actual development, maybe file handling, process and thread management. What would be a groundbreaker for you?

Just an area for me to ponder in!

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Make sure it costs under 7$.

Thanked by 2Legendlink eastonch
  • It's very very hard to get into. It's very complicated stuff. It takes lots of people to make an OS. Be prepared.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I want a SSD centered FS, a slim kernel that is able to handle remote FS and execute apps as well as cooperate with the other kernel.
    As a specialty i want an OS on top of the internet, able to take resources from multiple physical boxes, in short, a real cloud all over the internet with instances you can fire at will and put to sleep in some wrist watch or intelligent pen, fire up again when needed etc.
    It will be extremely hard to fight off surveillance, tho. Amish ppl were right to go in their closed communities, as well as the jews in kibutzes...
    We will all have the number to be tracked with and it will be 666...
    M

Thanked by 1eastonch
  • @Zen said: @concerto49 said: It's very very hard to get into. It's very complicated stuff. It takes lots of people to make an OS. Be prepared.

@eastonch said: This isnt a "oh lets make an OS" this is a "Let's see what new tech we want".

I would rather join OpenJDK. There are some fun proposals happening, such as adding automatic GPU acceleration without any code changes. The JIT compiler would simply be able to detect code that can be compiled this way and optimize.

The thing is writing a file system alone would take a long time.