Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any success stories outsourcing or renting out Online.net servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any success stories outsourcing or renting out Online.net servers?

sumosumo Member

I see posts every now and then on LET about outsourcing or renting out Online.net servers. Is it really worth it?

From the lessor's perspective. You have to manage potential abuse tickets. If the server is outsourced, you may be responsible for upgrades such as Windows. If its rented out only, you potentially may have frequent requests for reinstalls.

From the lessee's perspective. There's no guarantee after the payment period (or even before if the lessor is not reliable) that the server will continue to be available.

I'm sure there's others, but basically, is it ever really worth the hassle for most people? I'm winding down my usage of a couple of Kidechires in a few months from now and I remembered about the posts regarding outsourcing/renting out.

Thanked by 1geekalot

Comments

• NomadNomad Member

You have to reply of all of DMCA related, ddos related, spam related and scam related complaints. In such a case, you are lucky if your whole account is not lost because here we saw Online.net booting people because their traffic in one of the servers they had looked like ddos (probably it was ddos).

So I'ld say it's way too risky.

I'm not even talking about how anything money related...

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • sumosumo Member

@Nomad said:
    You have to reply of all of DMCA related, ddos related, spam related and scam related complaints. In such a case, you are lucky if your whole account is not lost because here we saw Online.net booting people because their traffic in one of the servers they had looked like ddos (probably it was ddos).

So I'ld say it's way too risky.

I'm not even talking about how anything money related...

You bring up good examples of additional headaches and consequences.

I'm not sure why people still consider it. Unless you have a large number of servers or are renting it out to someone you trust, then it might be financially or socially worth it. Otherwise, I don't really see a good reason in doing it.

The outsourcing would be more appropriate it was to an employee or team member.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • I used to rent 2 of mine out to people on LET with no issues, guess it's just luck.

• I rented one of mine to a particularly unsavoury character on here. (Hindsight leads me to believe that he was maybe a little younger than I anticipated.) Apparently outsourced online.net servers have the ability to purchase windows licenses.

I now have an ongoing dispute with online.net over the 30 euro charge.

I have no access to the servers but keep getting ping up emails etc.. Maybe they're having a little snoop around?!

• You could always require some deposit for the 30 euros?