Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Writing a NAGIOS tutorial, what services and kind of nodes you like to monitor?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Writing a NAGIOS tutorial, what services and kind of nodes you like to monitor?

AsimAsim Member
edited October 2011 in Help

I am writing a review on how to setup NAGIOS

I need to get feedback on what kind of nodes and services you want to monitor so that the tutorial, when its finally done, is helpful to you

My assumptions are that Node is a VPS (no routers or switches)
Services include but not limited to

• HTTP
  • SSH
  • PING response time
  • Current Server Load
  • Current logged in Users
  • Disk Space
  • Package Updates
  • Total number of processes running
  • Uptime (informational only)

Let me know if I am missing something important so that I can include them (if there is popular demand that is)
I am not a pro, but sure I can try to put all that I know in a tutorial for others to use :)

Thanked by 1Go59954

Comments

• current traffic + historical traffic in {k,m,g)b/sec, requests per second hitting webserver based o naccesslog or something,

• @justinb I saw one for NAGIOS XI (the paid edition) but sure, I will put that on the list

regarding the hits per second for the webserver, let me check that too

• I use Centreon as a front end to nagios, but a few things I monitor is server time, page it off by 5 minutes, dns, page if unresponsive, smtp and page if unresponsive. I generally have all my servers monitored to page if ping doesn't respond, but also some services to page as well so I don't get caught by a kernel panic where the server will still ping but nothing works.

I have nagios monitoring routers and switches as well as cacti doing similar monitoring, but I doubt that is an area you wish to cover with the tutorial.

• jhjh Member

RAID array status

• @miTgiB for now I will just use the "email" notification in the tutorial, will extend it later

Yes, I will add DNS and SMTP to the list. Not adding routers etc, I am not a pro and would need some testing before I can put that as a tutorial too :p

@jtodd Software raid?

• jhjh Member

Software and hardware RAID would be good (I believe there are plugins for the hardware RAID controllers, but I'm not sure how to use them). I'm actually quite interested in this as I usually have my tech do the Nagios jobs, but I've wanted to learn for some time.

• Really nice :) awaits it, and I agree with miTgiB and you that about DNS, also a Mysql server state I guess.