Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would like to split a dedicated into several VPS - What software to use?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would like to split a dedicated into several VPS - What software to use?

AmitzAmitz Member

Dear all,

I would like to use one of my dedicated servers to create 2 VMs (could be OVZ) for private use on it. Some years ago, I used Proxmox for tasks like this. I want to keep it as simple for me as just possible and it should not be a 5 hours task to install everything. Well, it should be free without any costs involved too. So - is Proxmox still the best I can get? Or is there some magic newcomer that I am not aware of?

Thank you very much in advance for your suggestions!

Kind regards
-A

Comments

• OpenVZ command line style.

TBH it isnt that hard

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • cassacassa Member

I mostly use Docker right now, but for VPSes with ssh access, use openvz and maybe openvz web panel.

• proxmox is the best way i know of

Thanked by 2netomx Amitz
  • KihiKihi Member

Docker docker docker!

Seriously. They've just added Docker swarm (beta) to the newest release and it's amazing.

If you're feeling brave with containers. Take a look at kubernetes or RancherOS as well.

• sc754sc754 Member

Command line openvz has my vote, easy and low resource consumption.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Proxmox is probably the best option.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

lxc is very simple and better than OpenVZ for personal use.

Thanked by 1msg7086
  • Virtualbox has better performance

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Jazzy8999 said: Virtualbox has better performance

No. Actually the opposite.

Thanked by 3vimalware Makenai Fidde
  • Jazzy8999 said: Virtualbox has better performance

I presume you've never actually, you know, used virtualbox, for anything serious that is.

Docker is an enticing choice, but if you want an independent kernel for each vm, I'd like to point you in the direction of xen.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

for just simple isolation, yeah OpenVZ on cli. nothing else needed. and if you feel like bleeding edge, lxc as @Nyr said is meant to be the improved OpenVZ

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep

I would go with proxmox on KVM or XEN if intend to use a custom kernel or want virtual at a hardware level. You should have better control of resources and settings with either KVM or XEN.

If you want a simple and quick setup with template provisioning, then OpenVZ is your best choice.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Any good guide for OpenVZ cli? thx

• BruceBruce Member

OpenVZ web panel is any easy way to get into using OVZ containers. cli is easy, once you know how.

have a look here https://openvz.org/Control_panels

install VZ is easy - https://openvz.org/Quick_installation

adding containers is easy too - https://openvz.org/Basic_operations_in_OpenVZ_environment

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • BruceBruce Member

OpenVZ web panel is any easy way to get into using OVZ containers. cli is easy, once you know how.

have a look here https://openvz.org/Control_panels

install VZ is easy - https://openvz.org/Quick_installation

adding containers is easy too - https://openvz.org/Basic_operations_in_OpenVZ_environment

Thanked by 34n0nx ehab Amitz
  • @Amitz, I don't know about the best, but I like the stability and flexibility of Proxmox VE (when installed on top of Debian):

• 1 year+ uptime (actually had almost 2 yr uptime before I rebooted to do hardware upgrades)
    • Can run on encrypted filesystem
    • Can run on Software RAID
    • Seamless handling of KVM & OpenVZ
    • Integrates well with firewall
    • External & encrypted VNC supported
    • etc

Perfect for your private home network setup or private "cloud" as well.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • ZEROFZEROF Member

VMWare/ESXI is good to go. You can install pfsense or opnsense as firewall, like that use only one IP for it, and vm machines on NAT.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

use hypervm

free and easy

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Docker is for developers.

OvZ/Xen/KVM is for men.

Thanked by 2Amitz Cipriano
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

So i guess, Proxmox running with KVM is better as Virtualbox?

• I personally use LXC to split a dedi into 3 containers to run 3 different websites.

They shared the memory, hard drive, port speed, but had isolated root file system, operating system, IP address and process list. And there's even a panel called LXC-Web-Panel which I never tried. (I'm on debian and they don't support that)

• Use SolusVM. It is very good for managing vps. Most of the vps provider use solusvm.

• FalzoFalzo Member

+1 for proxmox

• @euservr said:
    Use SolusVM. It is very good for managing vps. Most of the vps provider use solusvm.

Not for personal/free use.

+1 for Proxmox here too

• Proxmox is amazing for personal usage. It greatly reduces the amount of time you'd waste on setting everything up and makes managing your services much, much, much easier.

There are additional benefits to using Proxmox, here are a few that I have found.

1) Spinning up a Windows VPS on-demand to test some stuff out.
    2) Easy console access built right in to make your life so easy.
    3) OVZ Templates can be downloaded right in the panel, so you can install most OS that you'd need right away. No need to look and test.

There are a ton more, like OVZ and KVM support, resource monitoring in nice graphs, and fine tuned control of the VPS from a GUI just to name a few. I use Proxmox for everything (except providing services, but that's a different story).

• From what I have heard, Proxmox is supposed to be really good, though never personally tried it.

• SNetworks1 said: From what I have heard, Proxmox is supposed to be really good, though never personally tried it.

it's very good.

Thanked by 1SNetworks1