Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RTO UK server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RTO UK server?

MSPNickMSPNick Member
edited April 2015 in General

just wondering,

would anyone be interested in uk servers more if you could RTO them? i can get a few things that may be of interest to some people.. These are rack mountable servers..

Obviously, this is just a rough draft.

PROCESSOR(S): 2x INTEL XEON 5160 PROCESSORS

MEMORY: 4GB of PC2-5300F RAM

STORAGE: 1x 3.5" 146GB SAS

HARD DRIVE CONTROLLER: 2x PERC 5I SAS RAID CONTROLLER

REMOTE ACCESS: DRAC 5 REMOTE ACCESS CONTROLLER

PROCESSOR(S): 1x INTEL XEON E5345 PROCESSOR

MEMORY: 4GB of PC2-5300F RAM CONTROLLER:

1x PERC 5I SAS RAID CONTROLLER

REMOTE ACCESS: DRAC 5 REMOTE ACCESS CONTROLLER

Comments

• If you're doing this in the UK, make sure you comply with the Consumer Credit Act. Talk to Trading Standards. This is a mine field!

• FiddeFidde Member

I'd be interested if you had some higher spec hardware avaible (I see this is a draft). I would love for it to be like Dacentec, pay 12months and the server is yours.

• @Fidde said:
    I'd be interested if you had some higher spec hardware avaible (I see this is a draft). I would love for it to be like Dacentec, pay 12months and the server is yours.

Like mark said I may need to research a little more into that as he is right

Yes. I want to do 12 months and the server is yours.

I'm thinking of doing the l5630..

Something like this with 16gb ram and1tb hdd. £55/mo... Is what is ideally like to do.

Thanked by 2MikePT Scottsman
  • MSPNick said: just wondering,

Seems like an interesting idea actually. Would you then offer colocation at a reduced cost, perhaps a slight saving if pre-paid annually?

Perhaps even some low budget servers could be a sweet idea. Similarly to the Online.net kidechire sizes. obviously not at that price point but perhaps at a low enough cost with rent to own.

That would be interesting to see personally.

Overall, I'd love to see this happen in the UK.

• Sound interesting.

I suggest you do only DDR3 server DDR2 is way too old.
    Most people will prefer something with DDR3.

My 2cents :)

• Yup, 12 months then colo charges or a ship back fee. up to customer.

@The_creator said:
    Sound interesting.

I suggest you do only DDR3 server DDR2 is way too old.
    Most people will prefer something with DDR3.

My 2cents :)

Im still researching on what to do. I ain't too sure just yet.

If I was going to do it... But it'll have to be around £60-70 then I can do colo for around £40.

• Can you give the actual size and weight for each server,so customer can consider to ship the server

• Yes.

If I actually do this. I would tell customer a size and weight

• I don't see the advantage to RTO personally, as you have to deal with hardware issues afterwards as well as possibly being tied into a contract...

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • MSPNick said: If I was going to do it... But it'll have to be around £60-70 then I can do colo for around £40.

even still that's expensive for the hardware itself, you can pickup that processor for less than £20 on ebay

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

For anyone to offer you that in the UK legally the company would have to be licensed and comply with Consumer Credit Act as @MarkTurner sugsted.

The way to go may be leasing a server and putting into cool or taking out a loan and putting the server into colo.

Question is, why would you bother to do that? Small saving with a lot of potential headache.

• BruceBruce Member

@Clouvider said:

Question is, why would you bother to do that? Small saving with a lot of potential headache.

the UK market is dominated by larger players, so colo is almost the same price as renting a dedi. maybe we will see "free servers when you take rackspace" offers.

also, cost to colo an old server is expensive (energy costs). which is why the servers are dead cheap. uneconomical to buy old servers.

please correct me if I'm wrong

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Bruce, I wouldn'tjumpt into free servers with Rackspace offers (why not anyway, you can always charge triple for rack space), but yes. DC power especially in London in a good quality facility is heavily expensive, hence it's quite expensive to run old servers here.

• FiddeFidde Member

Have you had any progress? :)
    Close to be able to offer something? :)

• @Fidde said:
    Have you had any progress? :)
    Close to be able to offer something? :)

Hi,

not really much actually, but It's on the list to try and figure out how to do it.

• FiddeFidde Member

Alright :)
    Let me know when you have something available :) i'd really like an e3-1230 or similar but Dacentec only offers them with 2 hdd bays and 2TB drives. I'd like smaller drives and multiple for raid.

• othelloRobothelloRob Member, Host Rep

@MSPNick said:
    would anyone be interested in uk servers more if you could RTO them?

The exact structure of the deal, wording, contract etc needs to be very specific in it's terms/definitions (or you go down the licenced credit broker route) - there are ways of doing it as a sub-lease, but you really need to talk to your accountant and your solicitor about the way forward.

Having gone that route to offer RTO servers through one company, I'd advise against it, as the primary client-type looking for that type of deal doesn't get through the initial credit checks

• othelloRobothelloRob Member, Host Rep

But nothing stops you selling the asset (at book value) to the client and moving them onto colo rather than server-rental of course