Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Bidding Auctions - Share Experience
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Bidding Auctions - Share Experience

Hi,

I have been following hetzner bidding auctions for root servers. Sometimes I see the price being even better than online.net

I do not have experience with them. Are they good enough ? Can people who have experience share what is the catch with lower pricing.

Comments

• Fine, but hardware is very old and used (usually 500 days+), so may die fast :)

• @Profforg : Well - but they are taking it upto them to replace and keep it running I guess.

• FalzoFalzo Member

after getting one of those you can cancel within 14 days without reason and pay nothing at all. so you can check smart-data and such...
    services of hetzner has always been very reliable to me, definitely recommend them.

their probably not into baby sitting after all, so you should know what the meaning of an unmanaged dedicated server is ;-)

at least the ones with 3TB hdds give a lot of value for the money though...

• LeeLee Veteran

@Profforg said:
    Fine, but hardware is very old and used (usually 500 days+), so may die fast :)

It may die fast if it's only 50 days old.

• With Online.net you will get servers, with OVH you also get servers,

With Hetzner auction on cheap prices, (also with soyoustart ovh subsidiary, do not know for ks) you get desktop hardware... anyway:

Main difference between this providers is ddos protection. If you search for hetzner null route in google if you run hosting business and some one hit one of your clients that can ruin you... https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6577465

I use them only as backup storage servers to have off provider backups...

• @coolice : It seems like on the same thread people are making good comments as well.

• Hetzner is pretty cool. Their servers are cheap and solid. But if you're going to run something is DDOS magnet, don't use them. Your server will be offline at least few hours to few days after receiving small DDOS attack.

• Search for ECC and you get a list of 1245 and 1245v2 CPUs with ECC memory and enterprise hard drives :-) No desktop stuff and usually cheaper and more powerful than their EX range.

Thanked by 3earl deadbeef mehargags
  • @mpkossen, Do not compare their EX range, check out their auction servers

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2015

@mpkossen said:
    Search for ECC and you get a list of 1245 and 1245v2 CPUs with ECC memory and enterprise hard drives :-) No desktop stuff and usually cheaper and more powerful than their EX range.

This. I have 2 E3 and 1 i7 (the last for less important stuff) servers from their auction with them. No worries at all. Got specific questions? Ask my anything!

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2015

Age of my hard disks:

Server 1 (E3 1245v2), Disk 1:

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   098   098   000    Old_age   Always       -       1834

Server 1 (E3 1245v2), Disk 2:

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   098   098   000    Old_age   Always       -       1834

Server 2 (E3 1245v2), Disk 1:

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   098   098   000    Old_age   Always       -       948

Server 2 (E3 1245v2), Disk 2:

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   098   098   000    Old_age   Always       -       951

Server 3 (i7-3770), Disk 1:

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   098   098   000    Old_age   Always       -       653

Server 3 (i7-3770), Disk 2:

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   098   098   000    Old_age   Always       -       22839

Only the second hard disk in Server #3 is "old". The rest has a decent age.
    All these servers have been ridiculously cheap (< EUR 35) through their server auction with 2x3TB drives.

• I have had an i7-3770 32GB 2x3TB, for the last month or so and have been very impressed. Was delivered quickly after I emailed the necessary verification documents. I pay EUR33 a month (about £24). No set up fee. Now cancelled my SYS E3 server 32GB 2x2TB which was costing me £36 a month.

• @arthur you already canceled it? If not I would like to get the SYS E3 from you.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Desktop hardware, old hardware, need to send an ID scan, auctioned servers apparently have to be installed over command line (?), no ddos protection at all, no telephone support for <49EUR servers, lower ticket priority for cheap servers, "only" 20TB bandwidth, really anal about torrenting (or so I have heard)...

I mainly have not gotten one because of the ID scan, that is a big no-no..

Thanked by 2earl geekalot
  • comXyzcomXyz Member
    edited April 2015

@4n0nx it's up to you. When I open my computer, and you sign-up, remember to mention you're 4n0nx, I won't ask you to scan your ID, I will need your passport instead ;)

• 4n0nx said: apparently have to be installed over command line

true but it's completely automated all you do is select the OS you want and raid (if you want) settings. and support is okay usually get a reply within the hour

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member
    edited April 2015

comXyz said: @4n0nx it's up to you. When I open my computer, and you sign-up, remember to mention you're 4n0nx, I won't ask you to scan your ID, I will need your passport instead ;)

In Germany there are other ways of confirming one's identity.
    PostIdent: Go to post office and show your ID
    Online ID: Confirm your identity from home with a card reader I think

So I don't understand why Hetzner doesn't at least offer that for German customers. I refuse to give an ID scan to a company that has been hacked before.

//EDIT: And I especially will not send an ID scan over the internet.

Thanked by 2earl geekalot
  • @4n0nx Until now they don't have 2 factor authentication, it's good choice to avoid sending your ID scan if you have other way to do it.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

comXyz said: @4n0nx Until now they don't have 2 factor authentication, it's good choice to avoid sending your ID scan if you have other way to do it.

2FA doesn't help if their entire database gets copied again :( Yeah I wish Hetzner supported PostIdent and online ID, I would already have 10 servers :D I would even visit their office to show my ID \o/

• @4n0nx said:
    I would even visit their office to show my ID \o/

I'm sure it will help, I always do it when a local company asks me about ID or documents.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

comXyz said: I'm sure it will help, I always do it when a local company asks me about ID or documents.

I have a feeling that Hetzner would not let me come over to show my ID ;)

They seem to think they are the brightest bulb in the box, meanwhile I think that
    not supporting alternative ways to prove identity (maybe a phone call would work,too?) must have cost them so much money, it hurts to watch.

• boerndboernd Member
    edited April 2015

You can also send a scan of your driving licence for verification instead of ID card.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

boernd said: You can also send a scan of your driving licence for verification instead of ID card.

Oh, will any photo ID do? O.o

• AmitzAmitz Member

@4n0nx said:
    Oh, will any photo ID do? O.o

I sent them my driving license with some reg. numbers blacked. Was fine for them.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited April 2015

I do wonder why so many of you get ID requests, I have never had that from Hetzner, online, kimsufi, in fact any provider.

• @Lee said:
    I do wonder why so many of you get ID requests, I have never had that from Hetzner, online, kimsufi, in fact provider.

They're fan of Bruce Lee

• earlearl Member

@Lee said:
    I do wonder why so many of you get ID requests, I have never had that from Hetzner, online, kimsufi, in fact provider.

Probably cause you signed up under a business name.?

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2015

They requested this together with my company registration documents.

• sumosumo Member

@Lee said:

US based and ordering near home/business?

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited April 2015

I never sign up under a business name for personal services, I am in the UK(mainland) and Always use my own name, I use an offshore trust company in Guernsey for all business purposes but that is unrelated.