Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

unnecessary thread title
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

unnecessary thread title

TazTaz Member
edited September 2012 in General

While we are fighting for legit ipv4 so we survive, look what these fools are doing,
http://www.crystone.com/seo-hosting/.

Thanked by 1Randy

Comments

• Oh My Lord!

• WTF?.. is that even legal? xD

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

unnecessary thread title

Agreed ;)

Seriously though, gonna hit these guys up for some IPs :P

• . we need more IPV4, and not for them to use it for their shitty "SEO Hosting"

fools.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited September 2012

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: we are fighting for legit ipv4 so we survive

You're fighting to earn. Some more successful, some less. Everything is just business. Theirs. Yours. And that's why I, as client, don't care.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Spirit said: You're fighting to earn. Everything is just business. Theirs. Yours. And that's why I, as client, don't care

Not only to earn, ipv4 is needed for many other reason besides vps/webhosting. Not every place supports ipv6. While what they are doing is pure scam since,(Ripe or IANA or apnic or any) RIRs would allow ip address allocations for seo platform. So they most likely have provided false justification as well.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited September 2012

So you made those IPs to deserve them?
    (I hope you get my point)

Thanked by 2Randy jar
  • @Taz_NinjaHawk said: Not only to earn, ipv4 is needed for many other reason besides vps/webhosting. Not every place supports ipv6. While what they are doing is pure scam since,(Ripe or IANA or apnic or any) RIRs would allow ip address allocations for seo platform. So they most likely have provided false justification as well.

Moral though :) Maybe that company forgot that third world exists :)

• @Spirit said: So you made those IPs to deserve them?

ehh?

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

SEO is legit, in most cases it is not but I know multiple companies that have millions of IP's and all they do is SEO and send mail and they make a HUGE profit. Like Spirit said its all about money and I have no problem with it.

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited September 2012

Read my first comment again. All this is just opportunity to earn. Business. You haven't made IPs by your own hands to deserve them more than others, but you took oportunity to request them and earn some money. Just like they did. It's just business...

Thanked by 2Taz jar
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

What the funk!

I hope anyone that pays $305 p/month for a VPS with 100 IP's gets 100 IPs from separate private subnets.. that would be funny :) or 100 unique IPv6 addresses :DD double funny.

• @CVPS_Chris said: SEO is legit, in most cases it is not but I know multiple companies that have millions of IP's and all they do is SEO and send mail and they make a HUGE profit. Like Spirit said its all about money and I have no problem with it.

So if I want to get a /22 from you guys for seo purpose, will you allow me to do such?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited September 2012

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: So if I want to get a /22 from you guys for seo purpose, will you allow me to do such?

You don't get the point. Look at it this way. IPs are like natural resources and you all exploiting them to earn. But problem is that those resources are now rare, rules to get them are more tight and you have issues with those which still have them. So from client perspective.. why should I blame them? They are here from same reason as you. Business. So what makes you to deserve them more? It's just about opportunity to earn with those "natural resurses" anyway.
    Would you personally say no to /20 if you would have opportunity to get them very cheap? Of course not disregarding the fact that you don't need them so many.

Thanked by 1Randy

@Spirit said: You don't get the point. Look at it this way. IPs are like natural resources and you all exploiting them to earn. But problem is that those resources are now rare, rules to get them are more tight and you have issues with those which still have them. So from client perspective.. why should I blame them? They are here from same reason as you.

You want it, they provide it, they win. Simple as that. Playing by the rules doesn't always keep you from losing, and the cheaters don't always get shot down.

Thanked by 1Spirit
    edited September 2012

Well I am not sure about the natural resource analogy.

If someone burnt all the wood at a greater rate then is sustainable it accelerates the overall loss and we all suffer, not only that but at the very least there is benefit from heat when you burn wood although it is far wiser to use alternate methods of heating.

Also using 100 IP's for SEO gets you = ZERO not even heat to refer back to the analogy, so it is pretty bad as it is like selling someone wood that produces no heat, while VPS hosts using IP's there is a tangible use and responsible use.

....Hope someone can follow that, it just spewed out of my head :)

Thanked by 1Taz
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited September 2012

Would you personally say no to /20 or lets say /18 if you would have opportunity to get them very cheap? Of course not disregarding the fact that you don't need them so many. You all (hosts) use opportunity not something what you made/earn/deserve more than others. Business. Nothing wrong with that but lets be straight about this.

• Not knowing the minimum ipv6 allocation requirement, The first time when we requested for ipv6, it was for a /121 not /64 or lower, even though it was free.

I guess you are sort of right @Spirit I would take a /20 however I would use it honestly, rather than what these guys are doing which is selling snake oil

• IPv4 is not a natural resource. It's not like burning wood. It's not like burning coal. Starving Burmese children cannot eat your IPv4 addresses.

A better analogy would be a very shiny metal-- let's call it IPv4ium-- that serves no useful purpose other than being used for jewelry. There's a shortage of this metal, but luckily there is an equally shiny metal called IPv6ium, and the end user can't even tell the difference. But switching over your production would cost some token amount of money, and so everyone waits until they have no other choice. The only people affected or who even care are in the jewelry industry, which is and always has been about profit, and not feeding starving Burmese children (unless they have money, or if donating to them is made tax deductible).

They (or their upstream provider) were allocated those addresses. They can do whatever they want with them, and they don't need to ask our permission. Who cares? The fix is easy, but we'll keep putting it off as long as we can so we can forestall any extra negative line-items on the quarterly reports.

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Spirit said: You're fighting to earn. Some more successful, some less. Everything is just business. Theirs. Yours. And that's why I, as client, don't care.

"It's just business" is not a valid justification for hoarding a scarce resource for no productive purpose.

Thanked by 2Nick_A TheHackBox

IPv4ium = best analogy EVAR!

• A better analogy would be a very shiny metal-- let's call it IPv4ium-- that serves no useful purpose other than being used for jewelry.

Metal is actually a natural resource.

@joepie91 said: "It's just business" is not a valid justification for hoarding a scarce resource for no productive purpose.

Justification doesn't always put food on the table. No one is saying it's justified, he's saying crying about it doesn't do any good, they've clearly got IPs that you wish you had and that makes them a winner for now. The gold medal knows not how it was obtained.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited September 2012

I use here term "natural resource" more in a way how to get them. By picking them to make profit. Some own them plenty. I own none. How unfair :( Need to complain to RIPE right now..!

/jk

@joepie91 said: for no productive purpose.

Who's to judge? It's productive. For company to profit. Just like it's productive for some of my (idle - non used) vps providers. So no one here don't waste any IP? I do. I confess. Because some of my VPSs don't do anything at all which is clearly IP waste. But they are for sure productive for my hosts. They earn money. Have any VPS provider problem with that?

• @joepie91 said: "It's just business" is not a valid justification for hoarding a scarce resource for no productive purpose.

The scarcity is artificial. Their purpose is clearly quite productive for them, you're just mad because it's not productive for you.

Thanked by 2jar Spirit

@Soylent said: and so everyone waits until they have no other choice

Or the alternative that I believe... that they want to watch ipv4 value go through the roof and then start selling them off until they run out, then adopt ipv6.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Metal is actually a natural resource.

And IPv4 addresses aren't. It's an analogy.

• @joepie91 said: "It's just business" is not a valid justification for hoarding a scarce resource for no productive purpose.

If they have acquired those IPs legitimately then they're as entitled to horde those IPs as you are entitled to horde cans of baked beans.

I think the real point of contention is not that they have the IP's, I think it is the fact that they are selling them for SEO Hosting.

If someone came to LET and posted a request for a VPS with 50 IP's they would get ripped to shreds by the same people defending this absurdness.

Fine, sell a dedi or VPS with 50 IP's with valid justification, but this is just snake oil

Thanked by 2Nick_A Taz