Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosted vs self hosted monitoring
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosted vs self hosted monitoring

vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep
edited April 2015 in General

I'm currently working on a hosted monitoring solution but I've been getting a lot of requests for a self hosted solution. Would you prefer a self hosted solution, if so why? Is this a privacy issue or is it something else?

Comments

• I tried hosting Observium with a "cloud app" provider on here.

Server went down without any notice on the "trial" where I paid a dollar, data was missing and couldn't set timezones or anything without upgrading to a larger plan or contacting support. I run Observium on a budget dedicated server with virtualization software installed, Observium on it's own TurnKeyLinux appliance and haven't had any issues.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Definitely, Observium, self-hosted it's the best thing to go.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

@MrGeneral said:

Observium just seems very bloated. Why is self-hosted the best thing?

@vfuse said:
    Observium just seems very bloated. Why is self-hosted the best thing?

What you mean with very bloated?

Well, I consider it to be the best thing since you control it in full and can build a small Obversium cluster in multiple locations, perhaps cheaper than going for a SaaS solution that gets more expensive, e.g. 1 minute reports with a limit of hosts and such. It serves my purposes tho, it's merely my opinion. :)

• Several monitoring edges, hosted outside, IMNSHO are much more reliable, other conditions equal.

@Master_Bo said:
    Several monitoring edges, hosted outside, IMNSHO are much more reliable, other conditions equal.

Of course no doubt about that.

• @MrGeneral said:

Are 80mb ram enough for it? (apache2 and mysql)?

Running it on a 3$ LES machine would be great :D

• sinsin Member

I use New Relic's server monitoring feature

Thanked by 1lifehome
  • CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

I think self hosted is better in the long run. You have more control.

If all you want to monitor is high level uptime (pings, http(s) port,keywords,etc) then hosted makes more send, self hosted is not worth the hassle.

If you need agent based monitoring (traffic, disk space, load,etc) I have not been able to get a hosted solution that works well for me at the right price point. I have been using zabbix on my own VPS and it works a treat. It also means I can get my zabbix node to monitor my servers,vps,etc and just have one hosted acount to monitor my zabbiz node. job done :-)

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited April 2015

Hosted or self-hosted?? BOTH

• Well in this case, a huge factor is data privacy and owning data related to your infrastructure.

• (Assuming you have the time, technical expertise, and need to do self-hosted)

• To a point, the more redundancy the better (i.e., hosted and self-hosted together)

But, after saying all this, I have to repeat what I said previously when someone asked the same question about hosted vs self-hosted DNS.

@Die_Quelle said:

Yes it should be. Do note that you should go for nginx / MariaDB to reduce the RAM usage, but I think you'll be fine with it :-)

• risturizristuriz Member
    edited April 2015

I have www.librenms.org running on 512MB VPS (lighttp+mariadb):

pelox@core:~$ free -m

total used free shared buffers cached

Mem: 512 104 407 0 0 64

-/+ buffers/cache: 40 471

Swap: 64 64 0

pelox@core:~$ uptime

09:03:32 up 3 days, 19:19, 1 user, load average: 0.14, 0.10, 0.09

Actually monitor 7 devices

Thanked by 1sin
  • Die_Quelle said: Are 80mb ram enough for it? (apache2 and mysql)?

No.

• ZshenZshen Member

total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 245 222 22 0 11 66 -/+ buffers/cache: 144 100 Swap: 508 126 382

Observium with Apache/MySQL. Monitoring 16 devices, 85 ports and 66 sensors.

• Can somebody recommend a script for Ping/Domain Check, charts and low ressource usage?

• I personally prefer not to disclose my IPs and stats of servers to 3rd parties.

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    I personally prefer not to disclose my IPs and stats of servers to 3rd parties.

Whats so worrying about posting for example cpu usage or memory usage and having that on a non public control panel?

• @vfuse said:
    Whats so worrying about posting for example cpu usage or memory usage and having that on a non public control panel?

Its the fact you have it. I personally like as much of my data in my hands.

Thanked by 3GM2015 GCat pylode
  • The thread is a bit dated but I wanted to chime in:

So far I have been using Munin and was pretty happy with it.

The benefit of using nixstats is that there's minimal setup to be done while using Munin meant "some" configuration, mostly of plugins not the base system itself (that is easy) to get the separate plugins to do exactly what I needed and then setup the notifications...

I don't mind hosted services for this BUT the costs need to be in proportion to what I'm getting. (Just wanted to mention this as currently everything seems to be sold with subscriptions only that are just unreasonable compared to the delivered service).

I hope you're considering rewarding your beta testers for participating/reporting bugs/etc.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Selfhosted, you can keep an eye on which data is collected, and set the check interval by yourself.

• self-hosted for better freedom.

• @MrGeneral said:

LibreNMS is worth a look as well, it forked from the last free/opensource release of Observium.

Thanked by 2lifehome MikePT

@Infinity580 said:
    Selfhosted, you can keep an eye on which data is collected, and set the check interval by yourself.

With nixstats the agent code is always opensource so you can see exactly what goes in (basically nixstats agent is only sending data and won't write/execute anything to the server except for first run which does the creation of the server key) and what goes out.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Let's get real: people like self-hosted because it's free.

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

raindog308 said: Let's get real: people like self-hosted because it's free.

You have to host it somewhere isn't it? And most of the time hosting is not free.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog

@time4vps said:
    You have to host it somewhere isn't it? And most of the time hosting is not free.

Exactly and preferably on a HA setup somewhere offsite.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • If you need a little more reliability, go for a paid offsite host. Gives you some less stuff to worry about, even if you gotta pay a little extra

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

time4vps said: You have to host it somewhere isn't it? And most of the time hosting is not free.

It's free if I have VPSes I'm using for something else. And we all do.