Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

www.verelox.com accused of using fake SSD ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

www.verelox.com accused of using fake SSD ?

mayer22mayer22 Member
edited April 2015 in Reviews

i just got a free SSD trial from verlox.com.

Fast test, fast result : Fake SSD.

Doe this look like SSD ? No it doesn't.

[root@test ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=sb-io-test bs=1M count=1k

1024+0 records in

1024+0 records out

1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 7.19174 s, 149 MB/s

[root@test ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=sb-io-test bs=1M count=1k

1024+0 records in

1024+0 records out

1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 7.31623 s, 147 MB/s

[root@test ~]#

This is pure HDD disks server, I run it this test too which clarify things out for everyone :

[root@test ~]# cat /sys/block/sda/queue/rotational

[root@test ~]#

I should get 1 for hard disks and 0 for a SSD.

See this answer for more information..http://superuser.com/questions/228657/which-linux-filesystem-works-best-with-ssd#answer-550308

Comments

• gianggiang Veteran

How do you know it is not SSD?

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Let me guess, you ran here to air out the situation versus open a support ticket?

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

giang said: How do you know it is not SSD?

^^^^^

• SSD is not about dd.

Thanked by 2doughmanes Infinity
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2015

That "limited" IO could have many reasons. It could be restricted or throttled to guarantee each customer a certain portion of the cake. It could be heavily oversold. It could just be a snapshot in time with many users doing busy stuff right then. But it could be a SSD anyway.

I would open a ticket or leave if you are not satisfied and really need more than 147 MB/s, which is not bad at all for most purposes.

• Same time of ur DD test bunch of people doing the same test because like yourself they all got their Trail VPS so they also doing the same as you did

Completely hypothetical scenario

But if can Please post a ticket to support After that no mountain moves everyone will back you up

• rahulksrahulks Member
    edited April 2015

@rds100 said:
    SSD is not about dd.

Exactly.

• mayer22mayer22 Member
    edited April 2015

This is pure HDD disks server, I run it this test too which clarify things out for everyone :

[root@test ~]#

See this answer for more information..http://superuser.com/questions/228657/which-linux-filesystem-works-best-with-ssd#answer-550308

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @DalekOfSkaro - AF******MEN to that

• you guys are funny.
    do you think whether something is ssd, magic puff puff storage or whatever else you want... how do you expect DD results to be good on an in-use, shared with other clients node?

your performance will be whatever is allocated to you or left over for you based on other customer's usage.

you want 1GB DD speeds on an in use node? (and not fake or cache based, real world performance #) then its time for you to get one dedicated just to you.

Thanked by 2doughmanes sin
  • AutoSnipe said: AF******MEN to that

Someone had to say it... I/O Speed is nice, and useful -- there's no question. However, there's so much more to a hosting provider than XX MB/s write speed and download speed from some random looking glasses.

• AmitzAmitz Member

@mayer22 said:

[root@test ~]#

Still - Have you opened a ticket with your provider to see what they have to say? Would be interesting!

• @doughmanes said:
    Let me guess, you ran here to air out the situation versus open a support ticket?

Just trying to let people know the truth. I already have 2 SSD VPSs and I know to check if they are SSD, let me tell you this one fail.

• mayer22 said: This is pure HDD disks server, I run it this test too which clarify things out for everyone :

FYI, on an E3 server, you will get anywhere between 1.1 to 2.5 GB/s write speed with the syntax you're using, regardless of whether it's a HDD or SSD.

Real-world speed test for a decent SSD would be about 150~250 MB/s when you skip all caching. It can go up to 1 GB/s in some configurations.

For example, I was able to get up to 4.6 GB/s on a RAID1 HDD on a server... Caching :-)

mayer22 said: [root@test ~]# cat /sys/block/sda/queue/rotational 1

^^ That makes sense.

• DalekOfSkaro said: I/O Speed is nice

Agreed, but it isn't everything. it doesn't test any sort of real world usage.. people that want 1GB/s IO's 24/7 on a VPS for (free in this case) but for bottom dollar, have really got to start thinking properly.

although they could be using an SSD on a SATA2 interface which would make practically no difference in reality.. but will give them gloat rights.. Correct me if i'm wrong on this case.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • People should know this is not SSD but HDD.

• AutoSnipe said: Agreed, but it isn't everything. it doesn't test any sort of real world usage.. people that want 1GB/s IO's 24/7 on a VPS for (free in this case) but for bottom dollar, have really got to start thinking properly.

although they could be using an SSD on a SATA2 interface which would make practically no difference in reality.. but will give them gloat rights.. Correct me if i'm wrong on this case.

I couldn't agree more.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2015

@mayer22 said:
    Just trying to let people know the truth. I already have 2 SSD VPSs and I know to check if they are SSD, let me tell you this one fail.

You seem a bit painful and only joined today to spread your complaint...
    Again: Have you asked them? What if there was a provisioning mistake and they put you on a SATA system accidentally? You should really work with your provider first, that is the usual way to deal with "issues" like this. If it does not work out - come back here and complain. We will be there for you! :3

• mayer22mayer22 Member
    edited April 2015

@ItsChrisG said:
    you guys are funny.
    do you think whether something is ssd, magic puff puff storage or whatever else you want... how do you expect DD results to be good on an in-use, shared with other clients node?

your performance will be whatever is allocated to you or left over for you based on other customer's usage.

you want 1GB DD speeds on an in use node? (and not fake or cache based, real world performance #) then its time for you to get one dedicated just to you.

You should try Digitalocean, SSD test response 'cat /sys/block/sda/queue/rotational' it's '0' and dd test is over 500MB/s.

• I couldn't resist. Sorry.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • @Amitz said:
    Still - Have you opened a ticket with your provider to see what they have to say? Would be interesting!

I did that, even if they respond in seconds for other questions this one is stuck in queue...

• AmitzAmitz Member

Let us know their answer when you receive it!

• MuZoMuZo Member

mayer22 said: [root@test ~]# cat /sys/block/sda/queue/rotational 1 [root@test ~]#

Digitalocean (SSD):

cat /sys/block/vda/queue/rotational

dd if=/dev/zero of=sb-io-test bs=1M count=1k
    1024+0 records in
    1024+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 4.02721 s, 267 MB/s

Onecloud (SSD):

cat /sys/block/vda/queue/rotational

dd if=/dev/zero of=sb-io-test bs=1M count=1k
    1024+0 records in
    1024+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.29386 s, 468 MB/s

Are they all lying to us or maybe it's the VT software?

• Execute 'cat /sys/block/sda/queue/rotational' for ssd or hdd always appear '1'.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • mayer22 said: Just trying to let people know the truth.

Your expertise in running ServerBear's script is heroic.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • mayer22mayer22 Member
    edited April 2015

@mustafaramadhan said:
    Execute 'cat /sys/block/sda/queue/rotational' for ssd or hdd always appear '1'.

Why don't you try to fix your kloxo-mr panel. Full of bugs from first install, email falling apart not working, all updates are a real danger to kill the server. I couldn't resist. Sorry.

• @mayer22 said:

He was trying to help you jurk

Thanked by 1coolice
  • @BuyAds said:

People get more offended this days when telling the truth.

• I have a server using SSD hard drivers.

When I run this command on the server, it returns 0

cat /sys/block/sda/queue/rotational 0

When I run the above command on a KVM running on the server, it returns 1

cat /sys/block/sda/queue/rotational 1

This discussion has been closed.