Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me choose crissic openvz or xenpower xen :)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help me choose crissic openvz or xenpower xen :)

So there are two choices, one is Crissic Plan: $24 a year, openvz, 1gb ram and 4 cores
another one is xenpower xen, $48 a year, xen, 1gb ram and 2 cores, it seems like a really tough choice for me. My concern is that xenpower offers xen which seems better than openvz but it is twice the price. Right now i do not have any special need for xen, but the plan lasts 1 year so i don't know which one to choose. :) help me decide plz.

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

If your budget is not a problem, XenPower quality is not comparable to some oversold OVZ :)

• I go with xen/kvm only if I wanted Windows OR if I was going to run something that would really need that ram all the time. Otherwise, I pick OpenVZ.

deadbeef said: I go with xen/kvm only if I wanted Windows OR if I was going to run something that would really need that ram all the time. Otherwise, I pick OpenVZ.

Or if you want real isolation and a real VM. Or if you don't want random reboots each time a new OVZ vuln appears. Or if you don't want neighbors locking the CPU.

OpenVZ surely has its market, but real virtualization is a superior alternative for every task if you don't need dirt-cheap pricing.

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited April 2015

@Nyr said:
    Or if you want real isolation and a real VM. Or if you don't want random reboots each time a new OVZ vuln appears. Or if you don't want neighbors locking the CPU.

For everything that needs to not fail every once in a while, I use Azure or a dedi. My understanding is that all visualizations can be oversold, so why take the chance (for those use cases)?

@deadbeef said:
    For everything that needs to not fail every once in a while, I use Azure or a dedi. My understanding is that all visualizations can be oversold, so why take the chance (for those use cases)?

Overselling is not a problem. Stability and service quality is.

Also, Crissic offers can't be compared to the service offered by Prometeus ;)

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited April 2015

I don't know, Crissic runs a great shop - support is great and I can't remember the last bit of downtime. If they are oversold, I don't notice it (always using the RAM given). With these two plan you'll get comparable CPU power, IO speed, uptime, and network. You couldn't go wrong either way IMHO.

deadbeef said: I go with xen/kvm only if I wanted Windows

Xenpower uses XEN-PV = no Windows, need a compatible kernel, and you might have issues with kernel modules. It's a compromise between KVM/XEN-HVM and OpenVZ. You'll get less overhead with OpenVZ than XEN most of the time, but XEN-PV is a bit more flexible.

Thanked by 2deadbeef Maounique
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

OpenVZ. However, I do not like the mail restrictions @ crissic

• @Nyr said:
    Overselling is not a problem. Stability and service quality is.

They all are and the thing with overselling is that it directly affects the other two.

Certainly not all providers are the same, and certainly some are very very much above the bar. Still, if something makes me money, in my view, it does not belong inside a vps node.

• 4n0nx said: However, I do not like the mail restrictions @ crissic

Ironically I use them as my main MTA for personally email (IPv6 wasn't blocked by Gmail). :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2015

Silvenga said: Xenpower uses XEN-PV

That will change soon. We agree our Xen is outdated and we are making changes. This month we will have the HVM included. Another version, based on cloudstack but only controlled through our WHMCS module (poor man's cloud, a la DO) is in the works, mostly HVM, of course. Leasing papers signed and approved.
    Price cuts happened already, so, the 1 GB XenPower is no longer 48USD now a year. 36 Eur for new customers and a few Eur less for old ones and renewals (40 USD list price).
    https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart.php?gid=20

We also added new servers, so stock is back.
    People which already had special discounts keep them with the new pricing scheme (for example -40% applies tot he new price too).
    These things are not really advertised, but our loyal customers have been informed.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Silvenga said: Ironically I use them as my main MTA for personally email (IPv6 wasn't blocked by Gmail). :)

I send more than whatever their limit is once a year maybe and that means I can't be their customer. ~.~

deadbeef said: if something makes me money, in my view, it does not belong inside a vps node.

Some of the most popular websites in the Internet are hosted on virtualized servers ;)

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • stormeyestormeye Member
    edited April 2015

@Maounique said:
    That will change soon. We agree our Xen is outdated and we are making changes. This month we will have the HVM included. Another version, based on cloudstack but only controlled through our WHMCS module (poor man's cloud, a la DO) is in the works, mostly HVM, of course. Leasing papers signed and approved.

Price cuts happened already, so, the 1 GB XenPower is no longer 48USD now a year. 36 Eur for new customers and a few Eur less for old ones and renewals (40 USD list price).

First of all, thanks for everyone's reply, i have read them all. :)

I was saying it's $48 is because i don't have that European ID card so i have to pay 22% extra price. And thanks for your new information. Now i'm wondering, 1. is xen-hvm better than xen-pv? 2. If i apply for a xen-pv now am i able to switch to xen-hvm later? 3. what would the price range be for xen-hvm? :)
    Cheers

1. It depends. PV used to be faster, lately people concentrated on accelerating HVM or making a hybrid, so PV no longer has a real advantage, except that it can run on cpus without virtualization enabled, but nobody really uses those in a VPS node.

2. we didnt decide yet, most likely a node change will be needed and this involves an IP change in most cases. It is possible, but might be inconvenient.

3. Same planned, there are no hardware differences which would make HVM more expensive from what we know.

stormeye said: i don't have that European ID card so i have to pay 22% extra price

I am not sure what you mean here. people which do not reside in europe do not have to pay VAT, it is the other way around.

• @Maounique said:
    people which do not reside in europe do not have to pay VAT, it is the other way around.

Hmm I'm confused, so let's say i'm buying one of your servers which located in Milano, Italy, I do not reside in europe. So do i need to pay for the VAT?

• @stormeye said:
    Hmm I'm confused, so let's say i'm buying one of your servers which located in Milano, Italy, I do not reside in europe. So do i need to pay for the VAT?

No.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @stormeye said:

Only us EU suckers need to ;)

Thanked by 1Gunter
  • emdademdad Member

@stormeye said:
    So there are two choices, one is Crissic Plan: $24 a year, openvz, 1gb ram and 4 cores
    another one is xenpower xen, $48 a year, xen, 1gb ram and 2 cores, it seems like a really tough choice for me. My concern is that xenpower offers xen which seems better than openvz but it is twice the price. Right now i do not have any special need for xen, but the plan lasts 1 year so i don't know which one to choose. :) help me decide plz.

Go for XP1G, and it's 36 Eur now....

• @Nyr said:

We utilize KernelCare, so unless there is a hardware issue our nodes aren't rebooted :)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Hey @maounique can I keep my discount on new products? :p

I am not sure what you mean. If you wish to move to the annual plan, you will keep your discount, for example. If you wish to order a new product, what discount to keep :o

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2015

@Maounique: So give us new discount codes! Now!!! :-)

For what ? :P
    Last time I checked, with all new nodes and all, are only some 20-30 plans left per category (plain XP and L series). They will be gone in a few hours, maybe a day and then people will get frustrated again. You get less frustrated when the deal you lost was not so discounted :)

• @Maounique said:
    For what ? :P

For not hosting April fools hunt this year!

Thanked by 1Amitz

SkylarM said: We utilize KernelCare, so unless there is a hardware issue our nodes aren't rebooted :)

Or unless KernelCare isn't fast enough and if you don't reboot your nodes are kept vulnerable for hours, like it happened some months ago with one of the latest big vulns.

• @Nyr said:
    Or unless KernelCare isn't fast enough and if you don't reboot your nodes are kept vulnerable for hours, like it happened some months ago with one of the latest big vulns.

Dude, you do realize there is a difference between downloading and installing a kernel VS. inserting kernel changes into RAM right? Do you really think a company (kernelcare/ksplice/etc...) is just going to write up and release a patch without testing it first?

Besides, by the time Sky manually went around to all the nodes to do a manual update and rebooted each node, the same amount of time would of pasted by the time the VPS's were booted up again.

techhelper1 said: Dude, you do realize there is a difference between downloading and installing a kernel VS. inserting kernel changes into RAM right? Do you really think a company (kernelcare/ksplice/etc...) is just going to write up and release a patch without testing it first?

No, I was just stating the disadvantages of those systems which make them... not the best option for patching critical vulnerabilities already in the wild.

techhelper1 said: Besides, by the time Sky manually went around to all the nodes to do a manual update and rebooted each node, the same amount of time would of pasted by the time the VPS's were booted up again.

Plenty of providers using KernelCare decided not to wait and do it themselves the last time this happened, some of them big and well known. You can automate management to an extent, man.

• honestly get what you think is best also check out other providers i am sure some may suit your needs perfectly